Worst Motorcycle Related Purchase? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worst Motorcycle Related Purchase?

Jampy00

Site Supporter
At one time or another we all have had buyers remorse for something we purchased.

One of the worst things I bought when I was a few years into riding was a "motorcycle backpack" I don't recall the model, but it was made by Icon.
It had all these features that I felt (at the time) would be perfect for me, even had a built in helmet pouch, which I though was great as I rode a "sports" bike and never liked leaving the helmet with the bike.

So I took the plunge and purchased it. This was before Amazon and before everything could be returned, so once I bought it, it was mine.
The quality was excellent, but it was very easy to tell the overall design was lacking. It was cumbersome, had a million straps that were all too long and sat poorly on my back. I really tried to like it and use it (as it was expense) but after a few attempts it was left to a life sitting on a shelf in my garage...

I have a few more purchases to tell you about, but let's hear from you. Do you have any regrets when it comes to motorcycle related purchases?

At one time or another we all have had buyers remorse for something we purchased.

One of the worst things I bought when I was a few years into riding was a "motorcycle backpack" I don't recall the model, but it was made by Icon.
It had all these features that I felt (at the time) would be perfect for me, even had a built in helmet pouch, which I though was great as I rode a "sports" bike and never liked leaving the helmet with the bike.

So I took the plunge and purchased it. This was before Amazon and before everything could be returned, so once I bought it, it was mine.
The quality was excellent, but it was very easy to tell the overall design was lacking. It was cumbersome, had a million straps that were all too long and sat poorly on my back. I really tried to like it and use it (as it was expense) but after a few attempts it was left to a life sitting on a shelf in my garage...

I have a few more purchases to tell you about, but let's hear from you. Do you have any regrets when it comes to motorcycle related purchases?
At least its only a backpack.

Sell it on kijiji. $50, done.

As for the 250 Rally? Its heavy and underpowered. Some people love them. I had the same feelings about the 250L. Bought through a friend, for another friend; so luckily wasn't my mistake. Rode it, hated it. Needed too much money in parts thrown at it, and it still would be heavy and underpowered.

My #1 mistake? 20 years ago - Buying a Suzuki Katana 600, and throwing way too much $$$ & performance mods at it, trying to make a pig a sports bike... it wasn't. It was never going to be.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

At least its only a backpack.

Sell it on kijiji. $50, done.

As for the 250 Rally? Its heavy and underpowered. Some people love them. I had the same feelings about the 250L. Bought through a friend, for another friend; so luckily wasn't my mistake. Rode it, hated it. Needed too much money in parts thrown at it, and it still would be heavy and underpowered.

My #1 mistake? 20 years ago - Buying a Suzuki Katana 600, and throwing way too much $$$ & performance mods at it, trying to make a pig a sports bike... it wasn't. It was never going to be.

I think @Wingboy has a similar experience with a Honda 250. Cool bike on paper, not a winner for most riders.

Last edited:
Noraly did okay with her 250 Rally tho she finally broke it on the Kalahari run.

1967 Yamaha DS5E - RMD Motors

Worst one that still stings is trading my Superhawk 300 1967 for a smelly 250 Yammy 2 stroke that was quick,
Honda Super Hawk History: Japanese Bikes to the Masses ...

:cry:

I think @Wingboy has a similar experience with a Honda 250. Cool bike on paper, not a winner for most riders.
Yeah. He mentioned that in post #2. I knew he wasn't a fan.

@MacDoc it may have worked for ItchyBoots... that, and her 300 rally. Simple and low maintenance were likely her goals. Offroad capability, low weight, and the power to hop logs/ blast through rough terrain? Likely low on her list of needs, or riding capabilities.

A mistake for one person may be the perfect bike for someone else.

Look at that @WestBrantKid guy. He loves his Katana 750. I hated my Katana 600.

Different strokes.

Yeah. He mentioned that in post #2. I knew he wasn't a fan.

@MacDoc it may have worked for ItchyBoots... that, and her 300 rally. Simple and low maintenance were likely her goals. Offroad capability, low weight, and the power to hop logs/ blast through rough terrain? Likely low on her list of needs, or riding capabilities.

A mistake for one person may be the perfect bike for someone else.

Look at that @WestBrantKid guy. He loves his Katana 750. I hated my Katana 600.

Different strokes.

Itchy boots is also likely 100 lbs lighter than most of us. That changes things a lot.

I have owned over 100 motorcycles in my life.
Many where vintage bikes for restoration so I had low expectations.
In 2018 I decided to replace the Suzuki GW250 with a bigger bike.
It was a great bike but being a sport bike at heart did not have a great seating position with the higher bars.
I was using this bike for touring and doing 5000km trips.
After looking at what was available the KTM 390 Duke looked like a good choice.
Was able to sit on one at the dealership but unable to test ride. (January in Alberta)
I did due diligence and read everything I could find.
Okay, it had great seating position but everything else about it was sh##t.
After experimenting and about $250.00 I was able to get the seating position on the GW250 acceptable.
Kept the GW250 and sold the 390 Duke with only a loss of a few thousand dollars.
I am not the only person who hates this motorcycle.
I have talked to other owners who share my opinion.
It may be a great hooligan bike but I would not recommend it to a beginner.

Itchy boots is also likely 100 lbs lighter than most of us. That changes things a lot.
Still. I don't watch much of her content, but I saw part of one in Alaska. She got hung up on a log, way out on some fire road/ logging road. Buggy. Sweating. Couldn't lift the bike up.

Light riders need a light minimalist bike... or a travel companion that can lift their ****.

Disk brake lock with alarm. Cost me a small fortune for a good one and just after I got it I read how the the alarm can be defeated with some chewing gum.
I had one of these years ago (without alarm) I think I got it as a gift. Never used once..

I guess technically the first bike I ever bought was a terrible, awful bike (however it was very cheap, so I can't really say I was ripped off). It was an amalgamation of several different 80s GS twins, motor from a GS400 I think. One cylinder would very easily oil foul the plug, but you COULD get it to run on both with some patience. I brought it to Ted Rose but he didn't let me spend much money on it, because it was garbage. Thanks Ted! I still had enough fun on it to keep going. I sold it for parts (like $50 maybe?) and then it resurfaced several years later - it had changed hands but nobody had ever registered it, so I signed a bill of sale to the new guy to make his life easier. Guy had gone through the phonebook and ended up calling my grandma to find me, haha

Then there was the time I had the infamous Fireball Coatings ceramic coat an exhaust for a ZX-11. I don't even remember anymore why I was so unhappy with what I got, I probably had unrealistic expectations about the amount of hand fitting/filing I would have to do in order to install the exhaust afterwards.

There was also the time I bought stainless steel lines for the same bike from whoever the vendor was for H-E-L USA at the time. They made them but shipped them incorrectly. I called them for a MONTH before they finally picked up, and when they did the conversation made me angry enough that I told them to shove the brake lines (that I had already paid for) up their ass

All in all, I've still "lost" more money on boring regular car nonsense than I have fun stupid motorcycle stuff - oh wait.

I completely forgot about the worst incident. Basically I wanted a bike safetied, and famous local motorcycle shop (NOT Ted) quoted me ~1000$ of work. Fine, I approve. I come back to pick it up, and now they have an invoice for ANOTHER 1000$ of work, and they won't promise that will be enough for it to get safetied. I do not approve, and I would not have not approved the first invoice. Did you guys not look at the bike? Against all odds, I did pretty well selling the mess to someone else (being completely upfront about its condition) so I came out alright

Yeah Noraly weighs less than most guys at 130 lb but then travels with a lot of gear. The 250 and the 300 she rides now serve her purpose. She broke the 250 on the Kalahari Rally...700 km mostly sand the last day - my riding buddy in Aus broke his KLR650 in a similar spot and he weighs the same....but that OCR Outback ride with full camping gear and spare fuel is hard on machines.

Noraly's bikes are light enough to be lifted into the canoes crossing rivers and lakes in West Africa...and she's quite happy to ask for help. I'm astonished she's doing West Africa.

Up to 1.7 million subscribers now. Took her a few goes to get to the right machine and even then it is highly modified.

My garage was littered before I moved with the debris of marginal farkle purchases. :rolleyes:
Windscreens, throttle locks, seat pads, risers, failed TPMS
:eek:🤪........still discovering bits at the kids place.

Disk brake lock with alarm. Cost me a small fortune for a good one and just after I got it I read how the the alarm can be defeated with some chewing gum.
Disc locks can protect against theft in many ways. I bought a disc lock for my vfr750. First time using it I forgot to take it off and rode away for about 12 inches and then droppped the bike on the right side fairings. The next day, I did the same mistake and dropped the bike on the left side. Now with both sides of the bike equally scratched, no one would steal the bike, so I tossed the disck lock.

Disc locks can protect against theft in many ways. I bought a disc lock for my vfr750. First time using it I forgot to take it off and rode away for about 12 inches and then droppped the bike on the right side fairings. The next day, I did the same mistake and dropped the bike on the left side. Now with both sides of the bike equally scratched, no one would steal the bike, so I tossed the disck lock.

Awesome machine!

Yeah Noraly weighs less than most guys at 130 lb but then travels with a lot of gear. The 250 and the 300 she rides now serve her purpose. She broke the 250 on the Kalahari Rally...700 km mostly sand the last day - my riding buddy in Aus broke his KLR650 in a similar spot and he weighs the same....but that OCR Outback ride with full camping gear and spare fuel is hard on machines.

Noraly's bikes are light enough to be lifted into the canoes crossing rivers and lakes in West Africa...and she's quite happy to ask for help. I'm astonished she's doing West Africa.

Up to 1.7 million subscribers now. Took her a few goes to get to the right machine and even then it is highly modified.

My garage was littered before I moved with the debris of marginal farkle purchases. :rolleyes:
Windscreens, throttle locks, seat pads, risers, failed TPMS
:eek:🤪........still discovering bits at the kids place.

The mud pits of Liberia broke her 300 as well.
Well, the clutch plates anyways.

Back
Top Bottom