Will this help HD attract younger buyers?? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will this help HD attract younger buyers??

Just playing the algorithm. His last 'Woke' video got him 1.3 million views.

If that's your job... makes good sense. You get clicks from both sides.

There is plenty of 'outrage' farming on both sides. It's actually an advertising tactic.
It is bait, absolutely. He can't be making a profit on it though... like I doubt a million views covers a crate of 7.62x51 & a rolling whatever that is. I guess it's nice to subsidize your ammo costs?

Interestingly, while trying to see if anyone on the internet had already named exactly what that bike was (I'm sure one of you know what it is) I noticed this article - Robby Starbuck did not in fact influence HD in this regard. They claim they already stopped these programs in April. That's not exactly a win in my books, just marginally less pathetic that HD decided this on their own terms instead of capitulating to some right-wing pisspot.

Didn't they sorta try that when they bought the rights to produce the XR1200 from Storz, for a boxfull of cash... then figured out they didn't own the right's to the name XR1200, and they had to give Storz ANOTHER box full of money... then produced a ****** bike that no one wanted
... and NOW Storz sells a SP1200 TM, which is a pretty cool bike
That's the thing though, they "sorta" did it and completely half-a$$ed it. Too many branding compromises, like belt drive and tank shape leading to a bike that too few wanted on either side of the HD-cult in or out dividing line.

I love the storz bikes by the way, but that ends up being a ton of money for a tarted up sportster that's still pretty heavy.

Why can't we just stay closer to the center all the time :( lol
Why can't we match our view towards people to reflect their actions?

If someone punches me in the face, knocking me to the ground he's a bad person. I don't care if he's black, brown, yellow red or white. I don't care is he is gay or straight.

If someone comes along and helps me up making sure I'm OK he's a good person. I don't care if he's black, brown, yellow, red or white, gay or straight.

I don't care if my mechanic wears pink lacey undies as long as he gets the timing right (and doesn't try to get me to wear pink lacey undies).

Have a friend who owns three now. Third one was purchased within the last month.
He went to hop on the third one yesterday and it wouldn't start. :(
Two are inactive. Still waiting for parts or diagnosis on the one that he'd ride.
Not attracting me to the brand, and I don't think it would attract younger buyers either.

V-Rods? Absolutely loved mine. It was my favorite of every motorcycle I've ever owned... (I currently own 6, have been riding 15+ years, you do the math).

Anyway, I sold my V-Rod a few years back, during the pandemic, for two main reasons:

1) More and more people in the V-Rod communities were complaining about parts being discontinued and out of stock, even though Harley was supposed to support the vehicle for X number of years after discontinuing the model. People speculated and pointed fingers at the accountants and Harley's obsession with quarterly earnings calls. This is old news at this point.

2) The pandemic had prices at crazy highs for V-Rods. So much so that even after five years of ownership, maintenance, and upgrades, I still sold it for thousands more than I bought it for. I basically got paid to ride my V-Rod for 25,000 km.

TLDR: Three years ago was a great time to sell a well used V-Rods, before it might need a part you'd never again be able to get.

Agreed. They made stupid decisions with the bike that surrounded that motor.

They could have made a modern XR750 out of it and created a racing series around it, both dirt, pavement and maybe the rebirth of TT.

They could have put it into a good frame, with primo suspension and decent style and made a modern interpretation of a cafe racer.

They could have engaged an experienced designer/company and made an adventure bike with good suspension, long range and comfy ergonomics.

They could have put the engine in a standard style frame with comfy ergos, reasonable range, sensible controls and geometry and retro paint and style and appealed to new and returning riders.

All of these could have had extensive accessory catalogs to personalize them, maximize profitability and forge long-term customer loyalty.

Then they could have taken what they'd learned about MODERN motorcycle design, function, AND modern motorcycle consumers and come out with a range of new bikes based on the engine out of the Pan American for the customers/riders they cultivated and drew from other makes and thereby secured a new generation of customers, though different than the ones who more or (mostly) less "lust" after the +/- $40K mobility scooter.

But of course, they didn't do any of that. Why? Because that would have been hard work, and would have taken innovative thinking, delegation of responsibility, authority and accountability, collaboration across departments and with outside expertise, commitment and long range planning. In short - real, traditional LEADERSHIP, the kind of that looks beyond short-term shareholder value and quarter by quarter profitability targets. All characteristics and approaches that have been abandoned by 21st century corporate North America.

Instead they made $40k mobility scooters.

The Street series was never about making a good motorcycle. It was about making a cheap motorcycle that would go hand in hand with the (now defunct??) Harley-Davidson Rider's Academy.

The HDRA was what the MoCo was selling their dealers to buy into. I think it was a minimum investment of six HD Street 500s, plus an appointed trainer, signage, etc. HD was super picky on the criteria for what the location for the riding school could be (so close to your dealership, so big in size, etc.). I don't know that that many dealers really bought into the concept.

The idea was, let new riders learn on a Harley, through a Harley branded riding program, through a Harley dealership, and then riders can buy (brand new) the same motorcycle that they already learned how to ride on.

To Harley's credit, they did institute this program across a number of different countries, and were actually very success in some of them, but overall I don't think it was a wide-spread success. I don't think dealers are looking for one more program to have make a big investment on, for one more program to have to run, and those that were still needed to have a huge empty lot, close to their locations that met Harley's picky needs, which wasn't always possible.

- Former Harley-Davidson Employee who probably signed an NDA 10 years ago and can't say anything more.

Last edited:
They were getting closer with the 750 Street Rod (although still fugly) and the 500s were dogs (see: Buell Blast). ,
They, along with Vance & Hines, built some XG750R flat trackers and then bailed on that program too.
I'm beginning to think the corporate higher ups have a bad case of ADD...

Attachments

• BEEIYEC3VRHCHDOYMM7VLNV7P4.jpg
    BEEIYEC3VRHCHDOYMM7VLNV7P4.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 4
HD needs help in making new and exciting products instead of special, really special, one of some, new paint models.

They are losing the dentist weekend wannabe market share. Pointing to failed DEI initiatives is only an excuse for a brand losing market share in a very competitive market and one that is challenging with a shrinking middle class with disposable income.

HD needs help in making new and exciting products instead of special, really special, one of some, new paint models.

They are losing the dentist weekend wannabe market share. Pointing to failed DEI initiatives is only an excuse for a brand losing market share in a very competitive market and one that is challenging with a shrinking middle class with disposable income.
The *ONLY* HD I have ever been somewhat interested in was the original Bronx Streetfighter model… then they changed the specs… then they removed it from upcoming models.

If they *TRULY* want to expand their market, they need to do more than the usual huge big fat cruiser models (the only exception being the Pan America). Yes, they will risk alienating the long term hard core HOG riders, but they have a limited lifetime… expand beyond their stereotypes and maybe things will work out.

But that’s just my simple logic talking…

Back
Top Bottom