Why is Ontario becoming the wild-west of roads and highways? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why is Ontario becoming the wild-west of roads and highways?

I've driven with my left turn signal on for ten kilometres trying not to "push" someone.
Others were whipping in and out, cutting me off trying to get by. It's dangerous.
F it, push them. For most, it's the only way they'll know you want by.

On a 2 lane road where someone is already doing 10 over in front of you, it’s not *their* responsibility to “let you pass” by pulling onto the gravel shoulder or whatever. It’s *your* responsibility to pass when a safe opportunity presents itself.

On a 2 lane road where someone is already doing 10 over in front of you, it’s not *their* responsibility to “let you pass” by pulling onto the gravel shoulder or whatever. It’s *your* responsibility to pass when a safe opportunity presents itself.
As long as you stay 10 over, I have no problem with your strategy. I was finding that many people this summer were piling on 30 or 40 km/h over their twisty road speed when they got to a passing section. That meant that the first couple cars behind them didnt feel safe passing and to make progress the rest of the line had to pass multiple vehicles. Balls all around all driven by a knob at the front.

A few years ago I was driving westbound on the Aurora sideroad around Warden - 1 lane each way with gravel shoulders. A string of cars in front of me, buddy comes smoking up behind in a VW GTI and starts tailgating - I can't even see his headlights he's so close. I give him a quick brake check, so he proceeds to jump over to the gravel shoulder and pass about 20 vehicles then run the red light. First chance I had I called the cops and gave them his licence plate. I've often wondered what, if anything, became of that.

As long as you stay 10 over, I have no problem with your strategy. I was finding that many people this summer were piling on 30 or 40 km/h over their twisty road speed when they got to a passing section. That meant that the first couple cars behind them didnt feel safe passing and to make progress the rest of the line had to pass multiple vehicles. Balls all around all driven by a knob at the front.

Agreed. Has happened to me countless times where you get stuck behind someone doing 90….80….65….80….70….90…80…then you get to a passing zone and they suddenly speed up to 120.

Try it in a vehicle like I drive for work where you physically cannot go over 100. Spending 20-30km behind someone who can’t maintain their speed is one thing….not being able to get around them when a passing lane opens up only to have them slow down in front of you again right after is infuriating.

But this is a different thing than I was explaining above. If I’m going along at 90 in an 80, I maintain 90…passing zone or otherwise. I have no problem getting passed. I’m just not going to risk my safety by driving on the shoulder to accommodate some impatient ********* in a BMW behind me or whatever who needs to do 130.

I wonder if it could be that when you travel far from home, you tend to stay on the main highways where you are less likely to encounter douchenozzles.

A few years ago I was driving westbound on the Aurora sideroad around Warden - 1 lane each way with gravel shoulders. A string of cars in front of me, buddy comes smoking up behind in a VW GTI and starts tailgating - I can't even see his headlights he's so close. I give him a quick brake check, so he proceeds to jump over to the gravel shoulder and pass about 20 vehicles then run the red light. First chance I had I called the cops and gave them his licence plate. I've often wondered what, if anything, became of that.
Likely nothing.

Likely nothing.
Occasionally, you call in and they have an officer nearby in the direction you are going. Then they wait and may do something. Very rarely will they send an officer as offender will be gone before they get there (and high probability that officer doesn't see an infraction so no money to be made). I called on a knob on monday night using onramps as their own personal passing lane, not trying to merge until the lane was completely gone and then pushing their way in. They did it on every ramp. I gave make/model/colour and plate. OPP broadcast the information to the cars 20 minutes later. Box checked. Time for donuts.

But...this would require actual enforcement to begin with. Not only for the first infraction, but the repeated ones that actually yield tickets.
Right now we seem to have near zero.

But, to play devils advocate....I don't doubt that a large percentage of the people in Ontario driving like total and complete douchenozzles probably have clean records (simply because of said lack of enforcement), so I'm not sure that a "free pass" on your first infraction, especially if it could be years before they're caught again, would really be effective.

Ironically the last time I got pulled over it was for exactly that - failed to stop/yield at an intersection, blah blah. Ironically it was during one of "back to school" blitzes so it was 100% targeted, and not simply routine patrolling....and yeah, you know with near 100% certainty if it wasn't a school blitz you'd never get pulled over for that, so people just do it because they know there's no consequences.

I have no issues getting passed & I absolutely don't go out of my way to try to block someone. But I will NOT let someone "push" me out of some feeling of pressure or guilt to go faster, nor am I going to drive into the gravel shoulder at speed (or pull over) to accommodate their insane need to pass me until a safe opportunity presents itself. They have have a manchild hissy fit all they want in the meantime - it's their F'n problem that they can't manage an ounce of patience, not my problem.

So you're in the left lane and passing those on the right with a line up of cars in front of you. The MB behind you wants you to pull right to let him by so he can do the same to the guy a few car lengths in front of you. That's not how it works.

If you're above the speed limit and you're passing the cars on the right, you are legally using the passing lane. If you can safely move right momentarily to allow someone to get by AS A COURTESY feel free to do so.

It would be interesting if they had monthly blitzes on specific typical offences.

January: Clean the windshield failure

February: Left lane hogging

March: Rolling stops

April: Illegal turns IE Left into right lane

etc etc. Each month another lesson by ticket.

If you're really stupid you can collect the whole set.

Occasionally, you call in and they have an officer nearby in the direction you are going. Then they wait and may do something. Very rarely will they send an officer as offender will be gone before they get there (and high probability that officer doesn't see an infraction so no money to be made). I called on a knob on monday night using onramps as their own personal passing lane, not trying to merge until the lane was completely gone and then pushing their way in. They did it on every ramp. I gave make/model/colour and plate. OPP broadcast the information to the cars 20 minutes later. Box checked. Time for donuts.
Ah, the old use the acceleration lane as a passing lane to avoid a traffic jam that wouldn't exist if people didn't use acceleration lanes as passing lanes. Got it.

I’ve witnessed a cop in Milton pull someone over for the “clean a spot in front of the driver on the windshield and leave snow on the rest of the windows” infraction. Very satisfying seeing it play out.

Agreed. Has happened to me countless times where you get stuck behind someone doing 90….80….65….80….70….90…80…then you get to a passing zone and they suddenly speed up to 120.

Try it in a vehicle like I drive for work where you physically cannot go over 100. Spending 20-30km behind someone who can’t maintain their speed is one thing….not being able to get around them when a passing lane opens up only to have them slow down in front of you again right after is infuriating.

But this is a different thing than I was explaining above. If I’m going along at 90 in an 80, I maintain 90…passing zone or otherwise. I have no problem getting passed. I’m just not going to risk my safety by driving on the shoulder to accommodate some impatient ********* in a BMW behind me or whatever who needs to do 130.
For the most part I don't worry about long haul truckers, I've done a lot of highway and rarely seen cause for concern.

Some do annoy me, I'm gonna curse a few on Thursday as I make my way up north. HWY 11 north of North Bay can be frustrating, I've gone a hundred KM on that road because governed transport trucks try and can't pass each other when a passing lane appears. The ones with Tabernac plates seem to be the worst -- they must think French 105 governers are faster than other 105 governers.

So you're in the left lane and passing those on the right with a line up of cars in front of you. The MB behind you wants you to pull right to let him by so he can do the same to the guy a few car lengths in front of you. That's not how it works.

If you're above the speed limit and you're passing the cars on the right, you are legally using the passing lane. If you can safely move right momentarily to allow someone to get by AS A COURTESY feel free to do so.

It would be interesting if they had monthly blitzes on specific typical offences.

December: clean the snow off the roof of your big*ss SUV.

I've gone a hundred KM on that road because governed transport trucks try and can't pass each other when a passing lane appears. The ones with Tabernac plates seem to be the worst -- they must think French 105 governers are faster than other 105 governers.

In the era when I started driving in the 90's there was still some shred of decency, professionalism, and respect in the industry. If you were getting passed by another truck who very clearly couldn't quite make it past you because you were both doing the special olympics governor race, the driver of the slower truck getting passed would back out of it a little and let the other truck get past. I still do this.

Problem now is that 75% of the industry is full of drivers with the same "Me me me me me me me" cager mentality and the professionalism is slowly fizzling out of the industry as old timers retire, so you'll get some dumbass in the right lane who just refuses to turn off his cruise control for 60 seconds and let the other guy around..

On the flipside however, sometimes there's more to the story that a car driver simply wouldn't understand- you get a guy hauling potato chips who can only do 100kph on his governor, but a guy with a loaded set of Super B trains weighing 140,000# can do 102...so Tabernack B-Train guy absolutely positively needs to pass potato chip guy, except the second there's a tiny grade B train guy is down to 95kph while potato chip guy is still doing 100kph on the dot. So he passes the B train guy again on every single hill. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Me? In this situation I'll just knock my cruise control down those 2kph and fall in behind the other truck and stay there. Better yet our newer tractors with adaptive cruise make that even easier and less irritating. But some of the "me me me me me" crowd just can't possibly fathom not being in front and absolutely need to pass anything moving even 1kph slower than them.

I’ve witnessed a cop in Milton pull someone over for the “clean a spot in front of the driver on the windshield and leave snow on the rest of the windows” infraction. Very satisfying seeing it play out.

When the Star had a helpful hint column someone posted that you should back into parking spots at he mall in winter. That way when you came out and it had snowed you only had to clear the windshield before driving off. Nothing like putting your ingorance in writing.

In the era when I started driving in the 90's there was still some shred of decency, professionalism, and respect in the industry. If you were getting passed by another truck who very clearly couldn't quite make it past you because you were both doing the special olympics governor race, the driver of the slower truck getting passed would back out of it a little and let the other truck get past. I still do this.

Problem now is that 75% of the industry is full of drivers with the same "Me me me me me me me" cager mentality and the professionalism is slowly fizzling out of the industry as old timers retire, so you'll get some dumbass in the right lane who just refuses to turn off his cruise control for 60 seconds and let the other guy around..

On the flipside however, sometimes there's more to the story that a car driver simply wouldn't understand- you get a guy hauling potato chips who can only do 100kph on his governor, but a guy with a loaded set of Super B trains weighing 140,000# can do 102...so Tabernack B-Train guy absolutely positively needs to pass potato chip guy, except the second there's a tiny grade B train guy is down to 95kph while potato chip guy is still doing 100kph on the dot. So he passes the B train guy again on every single hill. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Me? In this situation I'll just knock my cruise control down those 2kph and fall in behind the other truck and stay there. Better yet our newer tractors with adaptive cruise make that even easier and less irritating. But some of the "me me me me me" crowd just can't possibly fathom not being in front and absolutely need to pass anything moving even 1kph slower than them.
I can understand, to a point, a commercial driver that is paid by the run, having to push limits. What does he do with the load when he gets to receiving five minutes after they close the doors?

Deregulation is a race to the bottom.

Can we add blowing through red lights to that list?
It used to be yellows, but I see more and more blatant red light running now. To the point where even if your light turns green - it’s not safe to go!

All the rules should be enforced all the time (except the speed limit - speed limits should not exist).

I think I've got the maths down.
If you're passing a transport safely at 110, and they're going full out at 105, it'll take 29 seconds to make the pass.
Ten of those seconds, you're in the danger zone where the trucker may not see you and there's a risk of serious injury if a tire , blows.
If you decide to stay in the passing lane, people trying to pass you safely on the inside while doing 120, will take 14 seconds to make the pass.

I once saw a transport that decided it was passing from before Ganonoque to after Belleville.
We finally passed him on the right, but had to do it again later, because of a pit stop.
Traffic was backed up for kilometre after kilometre behind us that day.

Back
Top Bottom