why don't we get aluminum tanks? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

why don't we get aluminum tanks?

Titanium is the seventh most abundant metal on earth (not exactly rare), just expensive to process compared to some alternatives. By volume titanium is roughly 60% of the weight of steel, aluminum is roughly HALF the weight of titanium. Interesting enough young modulus follows the similar ratios. All give or take a little based on the alloys.

As for aluminum tanks, the cost vs weight savings is the main factor for them being not more common historically. Today we have plastic/composite tanks that can be lighter and cheaper than aluminum....

Generally speaking an aluminum tanks usually start at 2 thousand bucks min and usually double is average.

Huh? $2K+? Did the Queen **** in them? I can get an aluminum BLitalia tank for my bike for 350 Euros.

Ducati 1198R had a beautiful brushed and clear-coated alu tank:

ducati-1198R-625x419.jpg

ducati-1198R-corse-tank1.jpg

How does Ford overcome the issues with their pickups?
There is very few issues other than economics with aluminum to overcome and in the end it is all materials engineering.

Consider that aluminum is ~1/3 the weight of steel (by volume) and ~1/3 the strength (young's modulus)--both from memory but the ratio is the similar between the two regardless. Aluminum brings some engineering advantages to the table. I can design a part in aluminum that has all the required strength (loads) and minimize the weight yet have thicker walls. A steel part the same weight needs to have only 33% as much material (volume) to match the weight and may take the same loads in certain directions but will beer can when pushed from the side. Bicycle frames are a good example, a steel bike frame could be the exact weight, and stiffness and use the same tube sizes, it will be so thin you could beer can it with your finger. Instead steel frames use smaller diameter tubes giving up stiffness to avoid constant dents from being too thin.

Sorry, trying to put multiple years of engineering schooling in a paragraph....

Bicycle frames are a good example, a steel bike frame could be the exact weight, and stiffness and use the same tube sizes, it will be so thin you could beer can it with your finger. Instead steel frames use smaller diameter tubes giving up stiffness to avoid constant dents from being too thin.

Your similar diamater comparison is an unfair example. It's about percentages. (the >50x factor). If you made a steel tube more than 50x the dia. of the wall thickness and did the same with aluminum, they'd both collapse under a similar load. The aluminum one would just be larger dia. than the steel one.

How does Ford overcome the issues with their pickups?

Disclaimer, I have not been involved directly with the Ford aluminum body-in-white program. But ...

The Ford trucks are aluminum body over steel frame. There are other vehicles with aluminum unibodies, but it doesn't really change anything.

There's the part of a body-in-white that you see, and there's the structural part underneath that you don't see. The bit that you see, needs what the auto industry calls a "class A" finish. What's underneath, doesn't matter so much because it's hidden. Most unibodies are pretty ugly when you take the outer skin off ...

The structural part that you don't see, with a steel structure, is usually spot-welded together, although sometimes they're laser-welded. Adhesives are pretty common, too. Seals the spot-weld from corrosion, fills the gap, tends to cut down on noise transmission.

With an aluminum bodyshell, the structural bits underneath can be attached to each other by various combinations of structural adhesives, riveting, hemming (folding the edge of one panel over the edge of another), bolting, etc. It can be ugly, as long as it's dimensionally accurate. Once the ugly structural bit underneath is ready, then you attach the "class A" skin on top of it. Front fenders are almost always just bolted on ... that's easy. Door panels, hood panels, and the like usually have a stripe of adhesive applied around the edges and then hemmed (edge folded) over the structural piece underneath - and that's the same whether it's steel or aluminum. On most cars, if you open one of the doors and look carefully at the inside of the outer edge of the door, you can see where the outer panel has been folded over the structural inner, with adhesive filling it up. Same whether it's steel or aluminum.

Know how most cars have a trim piece for the full length along each side of the roof just inboard of the top of the doors, all the way from the top of the windshield to the top of the tailgate or rear glass? That's there to cover up an ugly joint where the outer roof panel and the outer side panel are both joined to the inner structure underneath ... It's easier to leave it ugly and put that trim piece over it, than it is to make it pretty.

Aluminum needs a different primer coat to get the paint to stick. Once it's past primer, painting is the same as for any other vehicle.

Ducati 1198R had a beautiful brushed and clear-coated alu tank:

ducati-1198R-625x419.jpg

ducati-1198R-corse-tank1.jpg

offtopic, but just gonna mention, bikes looks soo much better with the steering dampener underneath the steering head where its not visible

Holy crap, the 'Busa lives! I remember you from the old CMG Soapbox days, glad to see you're still rocking the big Sazook...
Howdy Sir!
I miss that forum.
Yep, still got the Hayabusa, 100,000 km on it now.

cheers
ken

Howdy Sir!
I miss that forum.
Yep, still got the Hayabusa, 100,000 km on it now.

cheers
ken
Well played. I seem to remember you getting a trailer set up once upon a time, too.

As for the Soapbox, I miss it too. I was known as gmazza then. Got to know Blackie (not his evil twin) quite well out in BC, and he's still a good friend. Not as prickly in person as online. Also did some riding with Bondo out there before he got sick, and he was a total gentleman with a million great stories. I think Stagman ended up going out and buying his Tiger after he passed.

I have no idea where Larry, Matt M or some of the other regulars ended up. I had hoped to find more here, maybe some (like me) have different usernames. I've seen @Rob MacLennan here, and a few others, I think, but the vibe is different from that old system. After Editor 'Arris passed, that site was never the same...

Back
Top Bottom