why don't we get aluminum tanks? | GTAMotorcycle.com

why don't we get aluminum tanks?

boyoboy

burnt one and now Im flying like pierre berton lol
why don't our street bikes have aluminum gas tanks?

I mean there is cost but...is it really that much more?
lighter weight, no rust, uh guess thats it

do any high end bikes have aluminum tanks these days?

Some bikes used to. My K75 was aluminum. Magnetic tank bags were obviously a no go.

I think a lot comes to price-point engineering. Very few people have an aluminum tank on their required list. Sure it makes it lighter but you can probably save more weight for less money elsewhere. The aluminum tank would make it feel better as the weight is up high but that won't show up on any spec sheet.

I think I remember some old MX bikes having Al tanks

honda Elsnores

EDIT maybe I should have asked this question in the 70's
then we might of had kawi ELR's with Al tanks lol

Last edited:
Cost. Both manufacturing, and painting - painting aluminum is a whole different beast from regular old stamped steel.

I think all tanks should be as sexy as Honda's titanium CRF450 tanks...

19_Honda_CRF450L_fan.jpg

I think all tanks should be as sexy as Honda's titanium CRF450 tanks...
How in the hell is that cost effective enough for a production bike

How in the hell is that cost effective enough for a production bike

Honda says it's cheaper than molding a one-piece plastic tank.

From this widely quoted article: 7 Things To Know About The All-New Honda CRF450L - ADV Pulse

According to Honda, the titanium tank on the CRF450L is actually cheaper to produce than a plastic tank. You read that correctly. We had to reread it as well because it is pretty common knowledge that titanium is an expensive metal and just based on the cost of materials would have to be more costly than plastic. But, again according to Honda, it comes down to time. A plastic tank is molded all in one piece which takes a considerable amount of time. A titanium tank is stamped into two pieces and welded together, which is a much faster process. Also, since titanium is so strong, the thickness of the tank walls can be much less, therefore requiring a small amount of titanium to produce. Titanium is also used to help pass the EVAP emission standards and increase the longevity of the tank since it is corrosion resistant.

I find it hard to believe. I haven't read that anywhere else, except other articles quoting ADVPulse. No official Honda press release has ever made this claim, at least not that I've found. Otherwise they'd be making Ti tanks instead of plastic for all their bikes.

Interestingly enough, the development of the techniques used to make the Ti tank for the CRF450 led to a Ti tank for the CBR1000RR SP and SP2 race bikes...

This interesting article interviewing Honda Design Engineers goes into excruciating detail about the benefits of Ti, challenges in press-molding, etc. Not one mention of the process being cheaper than plastic...

Last edited:
The interesting part is titanium was 'exotic' and very hard to source 10-12 yrs ago and stupidly expensive. Now is like a very high grade aluminum. in price. Its still a bit dangerous to work with but there is Zero chance IMO its cheaper than plastic to make a tank.

AFIK titanium iwas mined in the former SSR. Nasa had to buy it through an intermediary.
When the iron curtain fell, so did the price of titanium.

There is a titanium mine operation run by Canadians in the extreme south end of Madagascar.
.... it's the only place with a medical facility for miles so all the locals go there if they get hit by a truck or whatever.

I
Some bikes used to. My K75 was aluminum. Magnetic tank bags were obviously a no go.

I think a lot comes to price-point engineering. Very few people have an aluminum tank on their required list. Sure it makes it lighter but you can probably save more weight for less money elsewhere. The aluminum tank would make it feel better as the weight is up high but that won't show up on any spec sheet.
I don’t think there is much in the way of weight savings as aluminum alloy tanks are much thicker than steel. I had both for my old triumph, they weighed the same (despite the steel tank being 2l bigger). To save weight, and increase durability plastic would be better.

Many high end bikes come with aluminum thanks, ducati has a number of models, honda RC30, Gsxr 750 limited, yamaha XT500, MV Agusta, Bimota, many homologation race bikes. Factory production racers like RS250 , TZ250 and all the GP bikes. Honda Elsinore. Lots of UK bikes had them like Nortin Manx, Triumph, Scott , AJS, Vincent Ariel for there race versions.

Generally speaking an aluminum tanks usually start at 2 thousand bucks min and usually double is average.

Generally speak only the very best bikes have aluminum tanks for simply reason to save weight.

Sent from my SM-A102W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom