Who carries there tool kit ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who carries there tool kit ?

Spike66

So I recently purchased an 09 R1, which came without the tool kit.

The dealership is sending me the tool kit, but I have never used it in the past and chances are it willl never ride with th R1.

Who rides with the tool kit and has ever used it during a break down ?

Cheers
Spike66

Carry it! you never know when you or someone else your riding with will need tools, the only thing I'm missing is a tire repair kit which you should always carry lol.

Last edited:
I have for my past 2 bikes....will for my next bike....and will always carry the factory tool kit with me.

Even if the rider doesn't know how to use a wrench it could be helpful if you're stuck somewhere and a good samaritan comes by and knows what they're doing.

Extra weight means extra gas. At these prices, I can't afford to carry it.

The stock tool kit is in its stock location under the seat. I have actually used it once, in my garage. It'll stay under the seat, you never know when you are going to need it...

Who rides with the tool kit and has ever used it during a break down ?

Me. Having it along allowed a bike mechanic in our riding group to stabilize the condition of my bike when the rear brake caliper bolt came off my bike one night on Hwy 48 at Stouffville Road.

Always have mine with me, never used it. I'll add a few other tools when I plan to be far from home.

well this went through my head last week. and im sure the only reason it did is because of the lack of room in the "trunk" ?

Around town you can call CAA or a tow, but having your bike breakdown on the 507 at the side of the road, or worse, in the Catskill mountains while on a tour, sucks when you know you can fix it if you could only get the tank off to get to the thermostat wiring etc.

On a well used bike, don't leave home without it.

Always there plus tar strip tire repair kit + leatherman tool. Used all of them a few times on my bike and a friend's while out.

Seems I should be adding to the kit and not taking away.

Granted on a long trip I take the full monty (trailer the bike, spare kit, gear, stand, tire repair kit etc.).

Its like a puncture kit, I'll need to get to a garage for air anyways so I don't figure on carrying that either.

i took mine out to i can hold various small items, the chances of your bike breaking down and you being able to fix it with that kit is slim so its not worth it to me.

yes and yes. I have actually added bits to mine over the years.

Doesn't have to be a break down. I used mine to free up a sticking throttle on a friend's bike. Used it once to tighten a loosening gas tank screw on a long ride (the other screw had already fallen out). Also use it at home sometimes when it's just more convenient than going to my toolbox. Plus, if I ever do break down it will give me more options for making it back home.

Don't ride without it.

I've always kept my toolkit under the seat, along with an extra multi-tool or two to be safe. It has paid off on multiple occasions, most notably for when I dropped the bike in Port Hope last year and had my shifter flip over the left footpeg:
[video=youtube;P0j1Wc6LGCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0j1Wc6LGCU[/video]
If I didn't have my toolkit (well really the 10mm allan key) with me, I would have been paying to get the bike towed home/to a nearby bike shop. Saved myself at least $100 easily there...

It's also been handy on a few other rides; one rider went down end of the season and I was able to help patch up a few things on his bike so he could continue riding. Have also had a few occasions where a bolt, etc came loose on my own or others' bikes on the road and we were able to fix that too.

I absolutely recommend keeping at *least* a multitool on you, but the factory kit will be handy as mentioned above due to some of the specialty tools.

Back
Top Bottom