where to get a good chain made of boron steel, 17-18mm in thickness?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

where to get a good chain made of boron steel, 17-18mm in thickness??

btw does anyone know why these chains cost so much? 2 meter 19mm is like $400. does it really cost that much to make?AND why does it seem like only in the UK u can buy quality security chains? USA is a pretty big market but no one makes good chains there?

It's 1. the exchange rate and 2. the shipping, those factors are what lead to the cost of this chain, not the quality of it.

Best lock out there, costs about $450 dollars. Pair that up with a 19mm chain (Almax makes one, but please note that after shipping, that chain will cost you about more than $400), and insure that the setup is anchored to something immovable - you just MAY have thieves think twice about it (of course, as stated, it's silly to think that any setup is 100% fullproof).

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Protec-PL-362-Shrouded-Hardened-Steel-Padlock.html
The abloy is about 225 shipped :) The cutaway version is 450, that maybe the one you were referring too.

Also, in addition to the american supplier I found for a high quality chain, there is always extreme security that sells the same quality chains as almax. They even offer a 19.85mm chain called the untouchable!
http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/locks_and_chains.htm

From what my research has led me to believe, is that bike theft is a much bigger problem in the UK then it is here in the states. While I think there is a market here for such quality chains, I don't think there is AS big of a market as europe is offering right now. Here in the states, you can't buy anything motorcycle orientated when it comes to security. It's all mass produced and cheap quality from china. Try sourcing a local steel manufacturer for more details. Ask for a low carbon case hardened steel chain that is 3/4" inch.

After many hours in front of google, I was able to source one from a company here in the States for 110 shipped ;) It's a 19.2mm case hardened low carbon chain. The company supplies chains for all purposes from marine grade mouring chains, to commercial grade lift chains. I spoke to a guy named Chris over the phone, he explained cutting thru the chain with anything short of a bandsaw would both be major pain in the ***, and make a mess of cutting discs(they've tried)!

Last edited:
btw does anyone know why these chains cost so much? 2 meter 19mm is like $400. does it really cost that much to make?

AND

why does it seem like only in the UK u can buy quality security chains? USA is a pretty big market but no one makes good chains there?

Because motorcycling is HUGE in the UK and Europe, mainly because fuel prices have always been so expensive there. Second, bike theft there is a major problem, so this type of security is widely available as having a garage is a luxury.

Just make sure to not put the chain around the tire... I can take off a tire in about 30 seconds, frame - thats another story.

the chains are probably heat treated in sych a way to maximize their hardness, one of our customers heat treats metal for the military and let me tell u, its not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom