where to get a good chain made of boron steel, 17-18mm in thickness?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

where to get a good chain made of boron steel, 17-18mm in thickness??

ep1x

Banned
A good chain made of boron steel, at least 17-18mm in thickness that will be too wide for bolt cutters of any size currently made. A good chain that can't be cut by a hacksaw, that cannot be frozen and smashed, and takes 7 -8 grinding wheels to be changed out on a standard angle grinder...

I've looked on the net, but have only found websites in the United Kingdom.. Convert 200 quid to CDN dollar and it's almost $350-400.

I've been looking @ Almax series 3 and 4 chain that are gold certified, and was wondering if chains in terms of what I am looking for, are sold in Toronto.. Ontario or Canada.... Even the USA I would consider.

Thank you.

nope. buy the almax. shipping is steep though. just a matter of what you want for some piece of mind.

last time i spoke to them (a few years ago) they were trying to find a dealer in the states. i guess they haven't found one yet.

btw: not even the almax will pass your 7-8 grinding wheels requirement :(

Riders Choice has some new brand of bike chain and locks in stock

but i cant remember the name

Don't waste your money, any chain you buy can be cut if they really want your bike.

most can be cut much much easier than the almax. again, it's about layered deterrence, rather than pretty much handing them the keys to your bike

A good chain made of boron steel, at least 17-18mm in thickness that will be too wide for bolt cutters of any size currently made. A good chain that can't be cut by a hacksaw, that cannot be frozen and smashed, and takes 7 -8 grinding wheels to be changed out on a standard angle grinder...
I've looked on the net, but have only found websites in the United Kingdom.. Convert 200 quid to CDN dollar and it's almost $350-400.
I've been looking @ Almax series 3 and 4 chain that are gold certified, and was wondering if chains in terms of what I am looking for, are sold in Toronto.. Ontario or Canada.... Even the USA I would consider.
Thank you.

Hi Ep1x,
I know Scotty had some some big, nasty chains (at Kahuna accessories).
They were as big as I've seen but I'm no expert. They were all over $100 bucks, I dunno if they were the really good stuff though...
You could check the Canadian catalogues yourself:

http://www.motovan.com/catalogs_en.html

http://www.partscanada.com/catalogues

http://www.fullboremarketing.ca/

I guess $400 bucks for those super-chains sounds about right, though I'm surprised the Americans don't have anything to offer...?
But you can't have a chain that's too serious, you're right, and anything that helps you sleep better is definitely worth whatever it costs.
Regards

just dont pair that amazing chain up with a crappy lock. ;)

The lock will be a weak point, or they will cut the part that its attached to on the bike, most of the tme bikes are stolen to be stripped for parts so one cut rim means nothing to them lol.

most can be cut much much easier than the almax. again, it's about layered deterrence, rather than pretty much handing them the keys to your bike

If you leave your bike chained up any place that is "unsecure" no chain will be enough of a deterrent.

You can buy the best chain possible but it will still take seconds to either cut the lock, freeze and smash the lock or Bump/Pick the lock.

Just buy the biggest chain at crappy tire and save your money!

Again, we tested a 16mm thick link with both a cordless and corded angle grinder.

it took 2 guys well over 2 minutes to cut through just one side of a link.
that would make it 4-5 minutes total to cut off the whole link.

again, there was MUCH noise and a shower of sparks. Enough so that i am confident that security would definitely go and investigate if this was happening late at night or for a neighbours to report what is going on.

I am disinclined to believe that a petty thief will resort to this kind of exposure to steal a bike for a few hundred dollars, especially when there may be easier pickings elsewhere.

AND again: it is about DETERRENCE. Short of locking it in a safe, if a turd wants it bad enough, they well find a way to take it. But i say make them work for it, rather than just capitulate and "hand them the keys". As the vid shows, most chains can be snipped with a large bolt cutter discretely within a few seconds to 30 seconds.

Again, we tested a 16mm thick link with both a cordless and corded angle grinder.

it took 2 guys well over 2 minutes to cut through just one side of a link.
that would make it 4-5 minutes total to cut off the whole link.

again, there was MUCH noise and a shower of sparks. Enough so that i am confident that security would definitely go and investigate if this was happening late at night or for a neighbours to report what is going on.

I am disinclined to believe that a petty thief will resort to this kind of exposure to steal a bike for a few hundred dollars, especially when there may be easier pickings elsewhere.

AND again: it is about DETERRENCE. Short of locking it in a safe, if a turd wants it bad enough, they well find a way to take it. But i say make them work for it, rather than just capitulate and "hand them the keys". As the vid shows, most chains can be snipped with a large bolt cutter discretely within a few seconds to 30 seconds.

Bob - For yours, we used:
1) Cordless circular saw with a metal cutoff wheel. ~ 5minutes for 1 cut.
2) My electric angle grinder with a diamond carbide cutoff wheel for the 2nd slice. ~ 4 minutes for the other cut.
I've used my angle grinder to cut various size re-bar, and compared to Bob's Almax, re-bar was like cutting thru butter.
I've never taken so long to cut through anything of same size thickness.
For those saying the thickest Cdn Tire chain - fail.
Bob's Almax Chain is 10X better than my Abus chain, and my Abus is 1000X better than the Cdn Tire chain.
IOW.......Almax - FTW.

so i stand corrected. thanks gary.

it took almost 10 minutes to cut off a 16mm thick Almax chain link. with noise and a shower of sparks the whole time. i'd think thats a pretty good deterrent ;)

No offense, but those of you subscribing to the "if they want it they'll get it" theory really need to rethink your security options. A QUAITY(I REPEAT, QUALITY) chain, is probably the best deterrent there is short of having a state police car parked next to your bike. I wonder, if you asked a thief, what would he rather attempt stealing? A honda civic parked in a driveway, or a honda civic parked in a driveway with an industrial strength wheel lock on it. What do you think he's going to go after?

For you guy's driving limited edition or super expensive bike models, well you have a bit more to deal with on your hands.

While it is difficult to stop a determined and talented thief, It is definitely not impossible. Those of you who believe petty thieves regularly use tools like battery operated grinders, band saws and acetylene torches to steal LOW value motorcycles worth no more then a couple grand on the street are fictionalizing these petty thieves abilities. They might use those tools in dark and desolate areas, but that's probably the last thing they'll attempt in a suburban or residential area. I understand some of you live in apartments complexes and park in large garages, and each place presents it's own variables to guard against, but there are no situations that a QUALITY chain cannot HELP protect your bike.

and to the OP, and anyone else interested. I sourced an american supplier that supplied me with the same quality chain as the almax, at less then half the cost with shipping. This was for a 19mm (3/4") short link chain that would take the same amount of time if not longer to cut thru WITH power tools. PM me for details

As far as locks go, I've found a couple that are adequate with such a chain, they are as follows.

S&G Environmental padlock (commercial quality, weatherproofed, Max security)
Abus 83/80 (monstrous pad lock)
Xena XPL46 (heavy duty 16mm shackle + alarmed shock sensor)
Abloy PL362 (pick proof shackle protected pad lock, PREMIUM quality)
Abloy PL350 (virtually pick proof, open shackle premium quality lock )

Any of these locks are saw, freeze, drill, twist, pick proof(only the Abloy is pick proof) and are usually case hardened, not to mention the chain links will usually cover the shackle and REQUIRE the thief to attack the chain first.

Last edited:
Abloy PL362 (pick proof shackle protected pad lock, PREMIUM quality)

Best lock out there, costs about $450 dollars. Pair that up with a 19mm chain (Almax makes one, but please note that after shipping, that chain will cost you about more than $400), and insure that the setup is anchored to something immovable - you just MAY have thieves think twice about it (of course, as stated, it's silly to think that any setup is 100% fullproof).

btw does anyone know why these chains cost so much? 2 meter 19mm is like $400. does it really cost that much to make?

AND

why does it seem like only in the UK u can buy quality security chains? USA is a pretty big market but no one makes good chains there?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom