When are you taking your bikes out? | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When are you taking your bikes out?

Call me crazy, but didn't they install some sort of automatic system for the area around the 401 and 404? I vaguely remember reading about it a few years back. Just thinking it might be limited to that area...spraying brine when there is no precipitation and the average temps are above 0 is just stupid...
conundrum your crazy! lol j/k. I've never read or heard anything of the sort but I do agree it is stupid, and for what its worth i don't drive there often but i do recall seeing some sort of 'snow-maker' type looking machine in that vicinity and that would make more sense, but still stupid this time of year.

Guys- It is damn windy today- I rode to work this morning at 630, and was just like HFS! I was not impressed. Hopefully the ride home now will be a bit better. Still looks/feels pretty windy to me though.

conundrum your crazy! lol j/k. I've never read or heard anything of the sort but I do agree it is stupid, and for what its worth i don't drive there often but i do recall seeing some sort of 'snow-maker' type looking machine in that vicinity and that would make more sense, but still stupid this time of year.

Guys- It is damn windy today- I rode to work this morning at 630, and was just like HFS! I was not impressed. Hopefully the ride home now will be a bit better. Still looks/feels pretty windy to me though.

Ok so I had to use some Google-fu but I was right -- FAST system (Fixed Automated Spray Technology) was installed at the 401 & 404:

"Fixed Automated Spray Technology (FAST) is a fully-automated system which applies an environmentally-friendly anti-icing agent onto bridges, based on actual real-time weather pavement conditions, as measured by special sensors installed on the bridge deck. The technology has been proven to reduce ice build-up, and is most suitable for surfaces particularly susceptible to early frost. The anti-icing agent is potassium acetate, which does not corrode steel, concrete or vehicle parts. It’s a biodegradable by-product of potash production that dissipates from the road surface after about two weeks. FAST is used by most major North American and European airports to treat their runways."

"FAST was first used in Ontario in 2000. “We are not sure who the actual inventor of the system is,” senior media liaison officer with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Bob Nichols says. “The first known FAST systems were installed in Europe in the 1990’s.” The MTO currently operates eight bridge FAST systems, with the first installation being in Prescott on the Highway 401/416 bridge. Subsequent bridge installations are in Niagara Falls (QEW/Welland River), Cambridge (Highway 401/Highway 8), Burk’s Falls (Highway 11/Magnetawan River), Arnprior (Highway 17/Madawaska River), Shannonville (Highway 401/Salmon River), Toronto (Highway 401/Highway 404) and Kitchener (Highway 8/Conestoga Parkway). The MTO is currently gathering data on these FAST installations to gain a full understanding of their effectiveness before planning future ones. "

http://www.rocktoroad.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3069&Itemid=134

After reading that article again, I think what bugs me most is that if a non-corrosive option exists (this potassium acetate) then why not use it everywhere? Obviously the answer is it must cost more than regular brine, so the city/province opts for the cheapest route, which causes rust and infrastructure damage...ugh. Potassium is a salt though, so I can't see how it doesn't cause rust...but then I'm not a chemist.

Went for a ride today. Saw two other riders. It is windy and chilly but couldn't resist.

After reading that article again, I think what bugs me most is that if a non-corrosive option exists (this potassium acetate) then why not use it everywhere? Obviously the answer is it must cost more than regular brine, so the city/province opts for the cheapest route, which causes rust and infrastructure damage...ugh. Potassium is a salt though, so I can't see how it doesn't cause rust...but then I'm not a chemist.
Nice! good quick find. I took a quick look at your post and the site- those devices don't look like what i recall seeing there. and what you quoted says it uses the potassium acetate and that it is environmentally friendly etc. Which like you said I'm no chemist either but certainly doesn't make sense. I don't think it's good. I'm at a loss right now, and don't have much time to read, understand, and evaluate.

That aside though the ride home was windy as heck, but it was nicer than this morning.

SPRING HAS OFFICIALLY SPRUNG!

I saw four bikes on Mt. Pleasent, another on Parliament going south stopped at the light at Adelaide, and atleast one more- maybe two turn off of King St E going south on Sumach. I saw one blue one turn for sure, but when I looked over my shoulder as I flew through the intersection I saw the guy at the light at eastern, there might have been another with him.

Talked to one guy who was riding two up at a light at Mt.Pleasant and Moore riding an R60, there was a guy heading north who saw me and nodded riding what looked like a new red honda 250 or something. Saw two guys heading north on Mt. Pleasent coming out of the corners after Bloor, pretty sure they were both on SS, one waived. The bike on Parliament was a cruiser and I doubt he even saw me, guy turning off of King might have, but we were too far apart.

Wish I had more time to ride this afternoon. Ah well hopefully it'll only get better from here guys!

I wonder how ski gloves protect your hands when you lay it down from slipping on sand?
Some are leather and might not be bad. I just wear liners under my insulated motorcycle gloves or heated liners if it gets cold enough. When I went down into the core last there wasn't too much salt and sand to worry about.

I was going to ride to work tomorrow but it's supposed to rain. Rain + low temps is a recipe for disaster, in my experience.

Saw a black Ninja 300 today. Not sure of the intersection but it was on a walk back from Lansdowne and Bloor to St Clair and Oakwood.

I went for a ride as well from Kitchener to Guelph and back. Gave the bike a little detailing when I got home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 66
Got out for the 1st time this morning for a 30 minute ride. Pretty windy and cold but you can't beat a heated jacket...just miss the heated grips that my K1200S had.
Did not see any other bikes out in the rural Cambridge area where I was riding.
The "Bird" fired right up and ran superb....as usual!!

I took out the V2K today for a short rip. I'm sure it looked silly as the crap covered roads, Mis-trust of cold pavement and tires, along with a cupped front tire and not being used to this bike made me corner as slowly as a 90 year old driving a Buick. :)
I find the cruiser with small windshield much warmer to ride than the sportbike on a cold day.

Did 75km today! 7° and sun was tolerable with the right gear. Got super windy in the late afternoon and I called it a day.

Took her out and did my regular loop around 4pm. Just starting to feel my fingers again, but man did I ever miss going brambrambraaaaaam.

Rode past two other lunatics on supersports.

It's good to be back.

:toothy7:

Was out all weekend on three different bikes, got chapped lips, and had lots of fun.
Waited for ice to melt in some spots. Just in a couple of parking lots. Tired out now though.

My bike is still tucked away waiting for the true Spring.

Went out for the first time today. Broke the tires out on a corner. Something to look out for when roads are cold & tires haven't been used a while

Went out for the first time today. Broke the tires out on a corner. Something to look out for when roads are cold & tires haven't been used a while
Definitely. Cold roads/tires and the precipitation can be a big issue right now. Watch out for icy patches too guys. I hit one on Moore between Bayview and Mt. Pleasant at the stop sign going west. As long as your riding responsibly you should be OK. Shiny side up ladies and gentlemen.

The bike is coming out this week that's for sure. I saw a bunch of cruisers around my area putting around, and they almost convinced me to roll my baby out of the garage.

Snowing here again as i type. :(

Got out for the 1st time this morning for a 30 minute ride. Pretty windy and cold but you can't beat a heated jacket...just miss the heated grips that my K1200S had.
Did not see any other bikes out in the rural Cambridge area where I was riding.
The "Bird" fired right up and ran superb....as usual!!

Some were out, it was too damn windy though. I thought my face would freeze off.

I'm a +10C type of rider. Last week of April, I figure.

Today. Just around my neighborhood. For sure again on Wednesday.. and if I can get a ride in on thursday before it rains.. I will.. :D I need to get past 1000km so I can go past 5k rpm!!

Back
Top Bottom