U-Haul motorcycle trailers - First-hand experiences? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

U-Haul motorcycle trailers - First-hand experiences?

thats not a motorcycle trailer, its a Landscape trailer. They are heavy as hell, and that tailgate/ramp sticking straigh up will cause you so much wind drag that your tow vehicle will feel like its working 3 times harder to tow. You're better off with a 4x6 open box trailer.

thats not a motorcycle trailer, its a Landscape trailer. They are heavy as hell, and that tailgate/ramp sticking straigh up will cause you so much wind drag that your tow vehicle will feel like its working 3 times harder to tow. You're better off with a 4x6 open box trailer.

This. I just did this trip with a similar trailer. Through Ontario and Quebec, you don't really notice the trailer that much. In New Brunswick and Nova Scotia the terrain is very different and I could feel every pound of the trailer/bike.

Last edited:
I rented one one about a month ago. I used it to transport a 600 cbr and I had no issues with it. Also prior to this I had never towed anything and after watching a uhaul video on youtube it was easy as pie.

I did notice the fuel consumption also, and I drive a '11 F150 5.0L 4x4. I didn't feel it behing the truck for a second, not even braking. But there was an obvious fuel consumption increase.

Can't go wrong for the price. I'd do it again for sure.

Looking into renting one to pick up a bike from NY state. It's like $17 after tax but did anyone get their insurance that brings it up to like $28 or something?
Is it good to get one really?

Looking into renting one to pick up a bike from NY state. It's like $17 after tax but did anyone get their insurance that brings it up to like $28 or something?
Is it good to get one really?

I usually get the insurance. The replacement cost of the trailer is $6k.

I usually get the insurance. The replacement cost of the trailer is $6k.

lol
I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah, for the extra $10, why not?

I did just rent one for 16 days, and towed my zx14 out to Nova Scotia and back. Pulled it behind a manual shift Honda Element. Went down through the US (so lots of secondary roads), and only noticed the extra weight when stopping. Came back through Canada, and burned a hell of a lot more gas through New Brunswick and Eastern Quebec than I had through the US. Was averaging about 10L/100kms in the US on the 90km/h back roads, and drank about 14L/100kms on the way back through Canada at 109km/h on the highways.

In any case, seemed to be a solid trailer and didn't bog things down too much for the drive.

Hi Everyone.

My name is Alex, and I am with Exclusive Sport Rentals.

Although our daily rates are higher than u-Hauls (unfortunately, being a startup we are not yet in a position of competing with them on price, we do, however, offer competitive long term rates. For example, if you book one of our trailers for a week or longer, the per day rate drops significantly and is very competitive on the market.
We also offer different type of motorcycle trailers, and not just a standard 5x8… Like the super light 3 rail sport/dirt bike trailer or the custom built heavy duty Harley trailer, perfect for long destinations. We are also in the process of purchasing new trailers, to have an even larger motorcycle trailer selection.

Lastly, we also try to put a focus on lighter galvanized & aluminum trailers to help save on fuel consumption, as opposed to many companies offering heavy steel trailers.

I will be happy to provide 10% off to anyone coming from this forum.

Thank you

P.s - We started renting trailers several months ago, and hence any type of feedback is highly appreciated.

Hi Everyone.

Although our daily rates are higher than u-Hauls (unfortunately, being a startup we are not yet in a position of competing with them on price, we do, however, offer competitive long term rates. For example, if you book one of our trailers for a week or longer, the per day rate drops significantly and is very competitive on the market.
We also offer different type of motorcycle trailers, and not just a standard 5x8… Like the super light 3 rail sport/dirt bike trailer or the custom built heavy duty Harley trailer, perfect for long destinations. We are also in the process of purchasing new trailers, to have an even larger motorcycle trailer selection.

Lastly, we also try to put a focus on lighter galvanized & aluminum trailers to help save on fuel consumption, as opposed to many companies offering heavy steel trailers.

Thank you

P.s - We started renting trailers several months ago, and hence any type of feedback is highly appreciated.

I would be interested in renting an all aluminum trailer that can haul 2 big cruisers.
for going out to the East Coast or Florida.
Has to be aluminum to be towed with my small SUV.
do you have a website link?

Im towing this weekend for the first time, using a 5x8 open trailer for two bikes from Uhaul and bringing separate ramp, the trailer with the ramp added to much weight.....1000lbs vs 1240lbs.

Jenn

Oh yah Im towing with my Ford Fusion V6 :)

Hi Everyone.

Thank you

The mileage savings is a really strong argument, my first 2 years of track I UHauled my bike and gear to SMP about a dozen times each summer - with a Honda Civic Sedan! Almost a full tank just to get there, so estimated it cost me over $50 in extra gas per day.

I've used U-Haul motorcycle trailers twice now on separate occasions. Good piece of equipment with arguably the best rate around.

my 2003 xterra gets 450-500 tank no tow
pulling my race car I get to mosport and need to fill up. (we are pulling at 140km though)
towing to mt treblant track cost me like 300+ each way

Towed Uhaul trailer to Albony NY, picked up the bike there (Honda CBR600RR) and drove back. Great trailers. I got insurance on it, so it was $27. It's just MPG on Dodge Magnum 5.7L dropped like crazy. That rear ramp on the trailer is such a drag for aerodynamics. Other than that it was great.

Don't think so. I've had to take a slightly larger one as the motorcycle specific one was not available. That'll take two for sure. It was 5x9 iirc. With a ramp and all.

The standard motorcycle trailer might fit them side by side (barely), but there's only one wheel chock in the center, and the tie down points might be hard to work with two bikes...

Anyone know of those standard uhaul motorcycle trailers can fit two cbr 600's?

Back
Top Bottom