U-Haul motorcycle trailers - First-hand experiences? | GTAMotorcycle.com

U-Haul motorcycle trailers - First-hand experiences?

Bruzza

I'm planning on taking an extended road trip to the east coast in Sept, and am planning on towing my motorcycle so I can ride the Cabot Trail.

I'm looking at renting a U-Haul motorcycle trailer (link below), and am wondering how solid they are and how they perform on the highway?

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

Anyone use these with a bigger bike, and/or on the highway before? (Towing a ZX14 behind a Honda Element).

Thanks!

I towed a 600cc from about an hour and a half away with a Chevy 1500 and it was perfect.
nice wide, low ramp for loading and the wheel chock helps with loading, Lots of tie down points.

The one I rented was a little taller then that one.....

I'm planning on taking an extended road trip to the east coast in Sept, and am planning on towing my motorcycle so I can ride the Cabot Trail.

I'm looking at renting a U-Haul motorcycle trailer (link below), and am wondering how solid they are and how they perform on the highway?

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

Anyone use these with a bigger bike, and/or on the highway before? (Towing a ZX14 behind a Honda Element).

Thanks!

I use it for track days. $14 to $17 per day. I also borrow my bro-in-laws Nissan Pathfinder which he swears up and down can get him to Montreal on a full tank.

With that trailer in tow....I only got to Shannonville on a single tank!!!!! The drag must be tremendous!!! The gas there and back cost me more than the damn track day!!!

Other than that, very secure and reliable.

I use it for track days. $14 to $17 per day. I also borrow my bro-in-laws Nissan Pathfinder which he swears up and down can get him to Montreal on a full tank.

With that trailer in tow....I only got to Shannonville on a single tank!!!!! The drag must be tremendous!!! The gas there and back cost me more than the damn track day!!!

Other than that, very secure and reliable.

If it is an early 2000 pathfinder he is BSing you lol. Mine I get about 450-500km to a full tank lol, It is horrible.

Thanks for the insights guys.

Yes, I'm assuming a fuel consumption increase of 25-30% based on the weight (can't imagine the drag would be too bad with the Element...it's like driving a brick wall down the highway anyway...) :)

Thanks for the insights guys.

Yes, I'm assuming a fuel consumption increase of 25-30% based on the weight (can't imagine the drag would be too bad with the Element...it's like driving a brick wall down the highway anyway...) :)

Does the trailer have a full ramp stuck straight up in the air at the back of the trailer? It's like an element towing a second brick wall. Stupid design.

Does the trailer have a full ramp stuck straight up in the air at the back of the trailer? It's like an element towing a second brick wall. Stupid design.

When we rented one the ramp was not solid, it was more of a mesh.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah the ramp is mesh, not solid.

I rented one a few weeks back when I picked up my CBR250R from Ottawa. Easy on, easy off and the wheel chock comes in handy.

I used alot of gas hauling it around though. Could barely make it to Ottawa on a full tank of gas in a 4cyl Hyundai Tucson.

When we rented one the ramp was not solid, it was more of a mesh.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mesh won't be substantially better than solid when dragged through the air. By the time you add up the resistance of all of those tiny wires, you will be close to a flat plate of the same size.

My buddy and his brother rented a U-Haul bike trailer to go pick up an FZ6 that his brother bought online. They towed the trailer to and from Maryland and had no issues, other than greatly increased fuel mileage. My buddy drives tanker trucks and also tows his own camper trailer, so he is quite experienced with trailers. He felt the U-Haul bike trailer was very solid and the price was great as well.

I have also rented a U-Haul enclosed trailer to move household goods and found it to be a far better value than renting one of their trucks. The daily cost is much less and there is no mileage charge.

My buddy and his brother rented a U-Haul bike trailer to go pick up an FZ6 that his brother bought online. They towed the trailer to and from Maryland and had no issues, other than greatly increased fuel mileage. My buddy drives tanker trucks and also tows his own camper trailer, so he is quite experienced with trailers. He felt the U-Haul bike trailer was very solid and the price was great as well.

I have also rented a U-Haul enclosed trailer to move household goods and found it to be a far better value than renting one of their trucks. The daily cost is much less and there is no mileage charge.

Odd, they told me the motorcycle trailers are not permitted to leave the country :confused:

Who ever told you that was BS you.
I rented a Uhaul trailer in New York and brought it back to Canada as a one way.
No issues at all.

Oh sweet deal :)
Do they have any that can carry two bikes though?

Oh sweet deal :)
Do they have any that can carry two bikes though?

I've rented the 5by8 enclosed trailer ($23 all in per day) and had a R1 and ZX-6R in it (trackday). You have to park one bike backwards in it so the handlebars clear. It's quite tight but doable. You need a ramp.

Trailer is heavy though - 900lbs empty but has a 1800lb capacity. Safer for overnight - can't see what is inside. I tow with a V70 2.5T AWD that is rated for a lot more. Gas consumption is terrible though.

Back
Top Bottom