Two nights camping in Pennsylvania at Ole Bull State Park | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two nights camping in Pennsylvania at Ole Bull State Park

i-WERKS

I took GTAM's advice and went down to Pennsylvania on between Sept 12 and Sept 14 for a camping/riding trip.

I booked a campsite at the Ole Bull State Park in the Susquehannock State Forest. I hit the road at 6:30 am and took a direct highway route until Niagara where I rode the Niagara River Parkway from top to bottom. Something I've always wanted to do. There are a lot of rest stops right at the river once you're south of the falls. Seems like a lot of tourists don't know about this area as there almost zero traffic in this area.
OYBxt0w.jpeg

Crossing the border was straight forward. About 20 minute wait at the Peace Bridge. I mostly got questioned about going on the trip solo but the agent was friendly and I was sent on my way after 2 minutes. I arrived at the campsite at 2:30pm. A bit earlier than I had anticipated.

My campsite was right on the edge of Kettle Creek. You can see trout swimming around it the river. The campground has no cellphone reception so most of the evenings were spent editing videos/photos.

Some info about the camping gear.
After last year's experience with a leaky inflatable sleep pad, I opted for a Hennessy Hammock this year with a Chinese underquilt from Amazon. Used a light sleeping bag as well. The temperatures were forecasted to be between 11C to 13C overnight and this setup was sufficient to keep me warm.
- Half gallon Yeti bottle filled to the top with ice for drinking water.
- BRS stove and small pot, small mug and spork for cooking/eating/coffee.
- BRS gas candle
- Headlamp
- Camera gear - Sony A7II with Sony 85mm F1.8 and Tamron 20mm F2.8 lens. Insta360 X4 took care of the video work. I brought my cheapest/lightest tripod since weight was a concern.
Last minute purchase was the Bear Vault canister. I wanted to bring some snacks and quick meals but was worried about bears/raccoons getting at my stuff. I got the smallest size and it fit two packs of ramen, a can of soup, my pot/mug as well as my toiletries.
oCpl3a5.jpeg

T4WcJBd.jpeg

My homemade luggage rack held up nicely. My luggage rack from Ducati arrived about 3 hours after I left the house for this trip.
Pa8yaGD.jpeg

If you saw my post of the rack, I had an issue with the top plate coming off the slots when i hit some larger bumps. These straps fixed the issue.
N7SJSdc.jpeg

Day 2 was the highlight. I used google maps with the Terrain layer turned on and plotted this route. I hit the road at 7:00am.
SoSJjZX.jpeg

Within 20 minutes of hitting the road, I came across the Pine Hill Summit just off Pine Hill Road north of the Ole Bull State Park. I spent the morning up and down these mountains going over and under the clouds. I would come across several of these Vistas/Summits along the route.
GPVrC33.jpeg

3vaovho.jpeg

6MvtJyu.jpeg

da0DuPV.jpeg

psFqsAS.jpeg

Hyner View was very nice and the road leading up here was also very fun to ride. Better spot IMO than the PA Grand Canyon
Yo3KUth.jpeg

Arrived back at camp at 4:30pm.
nxIzcFj.jpeg

tRNKUW5.jpeg

I returned on the 3rd day taking the same direct route home. At the Canadian border, I pulled up but positioned my bike on the right side of the lane. I attempted to hand the agent my passport but was about 4 inches too far from this guys hand as he was sitting on his seat. The agent refused to reach any further and ordered me to get off my bike to hand him my passport. Again I was questioned about travelling alone but was allowed to go on my way after I correctly answered his questions. It's true, the US agents are friendlier.

This was a great recommendation from everything I've read on this forum. The roads are rarely ever straight. There are tons of elevation changes and constantly zig zagging over rivers in the valleys. I also found the people are much friendlier in the US which is another discussion. I'm already planning next years trip!.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
The rack looks great. You should send the Ducati one back! Glad you said it was a Ducati as I thought it was an Africa Twin.

Wonderful pictures and ride report. Thanks for sharing it.

Great wrote up and even better pics.

How much do you charge to be a photographer in a ride?

Asking for a friend.

Thanks everyone!

@Evoex - All the roads were paved except for one section approx 10km of gravel between Route 44 and Route 414
@Sunday Rider - I'm not sure how well the plywood will hold up long term. I'm pretty sure one good rain fall will ruin it. Plus I need the passenger seat as my kid likes to go for rides as well. The luggage rack from Ducati also gives my son some grab bars because I'm apparently too fat for him to reach around my waist.
@oioioi - Nothing. Anyone who rides with me gets free pics!
@mimico_polak & @LBV - You guys gotta do it!. Any random road in the area rivals the best roads I've ridden in Ontario. And it's really not that far.

Yep, best roads in Ontario are in PA. I've gone from a chilly 9c on the Burlington Skyway to 30c in Renovo....can get VERY crisp in the autumn mornings but just a superb place to ride. Hope you guys get some colour this year ....nothing like that here. :(
1726525344349.png Screen Shot 2024-09-17 at Sep, 17    2024    8.25.01 AM.jpg
Riding in PA is really the only place I miss tho chatting at Higher Ground also.

Last edited:
Very nice trip!
Did you like the campground? Did you need reservations there, or was it easy enough to just show up and find a spot?
That area also has some really nice gravel and forest roads that would be ideal for your next trip down.

Thanks for sharing that!

Nice trip and thanks for sharing the route. Beautiful images. That 85mm is a magical lens. I always wanted to get a 1.4 but it costs a bomb (for a good reason).

I have been planning to go down south for a while. Just discouraged to go alone, maybe next season...

Nice trip and thanks for sharing the route. Beautiful images. That 85mm is a magical lens. I always wanted to get a 1.4 but it costs a bomb (for a good reason).

I have been planning to go down south for a while. Just discouraged to go alone, maybe next season...
I'll go if you carry my stuff. 😁

Very nice trip!
Did you like the campground? Did you need reservations there, or was it easy enough to just show up and find a spot?
That area also has some really nice gravel and forest roads that would be ideal for your next trip down.

Thanks for sharing that!
The campground was nice. Washrooms were always clean. The sites are a bit close to each other so there's not much privacy. It was probably at about 50% capacity on Friday. I made reservations because I wanted to make sure I had trees for my hammock and wanted to be close to the creek but I'm sure you can just show up and find a spot in September.

You were not too far from the Kinzua bridge collapse, the Austin Dam collapse and the Centralia ghost town. Maybe next time.

There are lots of great roads in PA. Rolling hills, valleys, rivers, lakes and the roads wind up and down and around them. Think endless 507 + Glamorgan type roads everywhere.

Really isn't that far away, but to make the trip worthwhile you need a minimum of 2 nights/3 days, as the PO did.

In June did a 3 day trip to OH, 2 days there and then 3 back, 4,000 km. Great roads compared to what we have in Ontario.

In June did a 3 day trip to OH, 2 days there and then 3 back, 4,000 km. Great roads compared to what we have in Ontario.
Willing to share your route? We're looking to take in MidOhio next year for their Vintage bike show. (Think Paris on steroids I'm told)

Willing to share your route? We're looking to take in MidOhio next year for their Vintage bike show. (Think Paris on steroids I'm told)

I'm not at my desktop until Saturday, I'll look to see if I kept the GPX files.

Really isn't that far away, but to make the trip worthwhile you need a minimum of 2 nights/3 days, as the PO did.
If you can get away in mid afternoon Friday and boogie to the border then you can get almost two full days in June riding - leave the area by 3pm Sunday and you are at the border early enough. Riding at dusk QEW not really a risk. Not so effective later in the year.

Back
Top Bottom