Trailers, Campers and RVs… | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailers, Campers and RVs…

The older trailers was much more trouble free than the newer ones.

Was more solid built

For a while I was selling 10ft x 40ft 1/4" particle board panels into Elkhart Indiana to make side panels for motorhouse and trailers , they would sheath the particle board with a fiberglass skin , then cut out all the windows and doors with a CNC gantry router. Instant wall , adhesived to a 2x2 spruce frame. 1 1/2 styrofoam insulation and the wall panels inside (meranti plywood) with a decorative overlay are glued on. Its pretty scarey how cheaply the cheap models are built.

Pioneer 18ck it is a 2006 but has been indoor stored it was made in Lindsay ON by Fleetwood. No issues I put new rims and tires on it last year. Not sure what a dealer could check on any used unit that you can't check yourself most dealers are pretty shady. And yes I know the full history of the trailer cuz I bought it new.

Sent from the future
Being a city dweller I have problems with large toys........................storage.

Working with a guy we got talking about weekends. He liked to go away in their motor home. I thought it sounded like a PITA.

It turned out he had a half acre lot south of Hamilton. The RV sat next to the house all week, plugged in. Friday night they threw in some groceries, unplugged and took off. Sunday night they came home, parked it and plugged back in. Over the next week they cleaned up what was needed and set up for the next trip. Rinse, repeat.

Rental space, city traffic, unloading, reloading, shunting, security...............nah. We used to camp but sleeping on the ground is out and bringing and setting up all the right stuff is almost like towing a trailer anyways.

I think about a low roof minimalist conversion van but I don't know what the minimal amenities are. The Mrs. is pretty tolerant with minimalist cooking and cleaning but sanitary stuff is touchy. A mattress, butane stove and plastic dish pan takes care of the sleeping and cooking but personal hygiene gets complicated.

There are some forums for people living in small vans full time, even in winter. Just because you can it doesn't mean it's fun.

Being a city dweller I have problems with large toys........................storage.

Working with a guy we got talking about weekends. He liked to go away in their motor home. I thought it sounded like a PITA.

It turned out he had a half acre lot south of Hamilton. The RV sat next to the house all week, plugged in. Friday night they threw in some groceries, unplugged and took off. Sunday night they came home, parked it and plugged back in. Over the next week they cleaned up what was needed and set up for the next trip. Rinse, repeat.

Rental space, city traffic, unloading, reloading, shunting, security...............nah. We used to camp but sleeping on the ground is out and bringing and setting up all the right stuff is almost like towing a trailer anyways.

I think about a low roof minimalist conversion van but I don't know what the minimal amenities are. The Mrs. is pretty tolerant with minimalist cooking and cleaning but sanitary stuff is touchy. A mattress, butane stove and plastic dish pan takes care of the sleeping and cooking but personal hygiene gets complicated.

There are some forums for people living in small vans full time, even in winter. Just because you can it doesn't mean it's fun.
Look at him Winnebago solas pocket if you don't want a shower inside we got the 59P because I wanted the shower

Sent from the future

I could afford a $100K plus unit, but no thanks...I'm trying to keep it under $30K taxes in...there's quite a few 2019 and newer models with the requirements we want (aluminum frame, fiberglass walls, one-piece roof, Azdel lining, Dexter torsion flex axles) that it shouldn't be too hard...

Hubby is also thinking converting a Dodge Caravan but as I said, no cooking (unless we use a BBQ) or sanitation facilities (and as @nobbie48 said, I'm pretty much dead set against not having any sanitation facilities)...

I could afford a $100K plus unit, but no thanks...I'm trying to keep it under $30K taxes in...there's quite a few 2019 and newer models with the requirements we want (aluminum frame, fiberglass walls, one-piece roof, Azdel lining, Dexter torsion flex axles) that it shouldn't be too hard...

Hubby is also thinking converting a Dodge Caravan but as I said, no cooking (unless we use a BBQ) or sanitation facilities (and as @nobbie48 said, I'm pretty much dead set against not having any sanitation facilities)...
I don't like the delamination possibility of fiberglass exteriors. That said are there problems with aluminum?

Vans with barn doors offer the potential of places to hang propane stoves, sinks etc. Caravans are all sliders to my knowledge.

Too many zeros in the price. Well over $200K here. Still the storage issue
Dealers here are a bit of a joke I paid 80 us for a 59p a pocket would be under 70 USD. Park it in the driveway? Can be used as a second car if you want.

Sent from the future

Don't get fiberglass walls major delamination disasters get aluminum.

Sent from the future

We looked at tent trailers, trailers, Class B and C motorhomes and concluded that initial cost, depreciation, storage, insurance, maintenance (in particular with the motorhomes) and campsite fees were such that just staying in a hotel was more convenient and certainly cheaper for the amount of time per year we'd be on the road. Another key factor is distance and travel time, is that the east coast or west coast or Florida are days of driving away.

I'd say that before you buy any RV rent one instead and see how you like the experience. In fact, rent for a couple of weeks per year is cheaper than owning. Other thing is that it is far cheaper to fly to the west coast and then rent a motorhome than to rent here in Toronto and drive there + you're saving 6 - 8 days of vacation time.

This is no longer than a standard pick-up. All the ammenities. 3 way fridge, shower, flush toilet, heater, TV microwave.
This unit is set up for 2 only (only 2 seat with belts) so it has extra storage space - more than we can use.
Bought it just before COVID for under 25K.
Spent a month in it on a trip to NL this summer.
With this kind of rig it's easy to boondock, be it the side of the road in NL or any walmart.
No regrets.
IMG_5975.jpg

@timtune I would love something like that...nothing to be found in that price range anymore...where'd you find it?...want to sell? :D
A friend almost bought an older one but the pre-purchase check out found a rusted out frame member. The friend was also going to tow a trailer and the mechanic pointed out that the rear overhang would give the trailer a lot of punch in turns.

My friend was shopping in the sub $10K market pre covid so a lot older model.

The friend is an insurance agent and said RV insurance was relatively cheap because they don't get driven much. Any comments?

I don't think that would fit in my garage so all plumbing would have to be winterized for the season.

If you find a well cared for one and continue with good care the cost per year could be quite low if and when you decide to get out.

We looked at tent trailers, trailers, Class B and C motorhomes and concluded that initial cost, depreciation, storage, insurance, maintenance (in particular with the motorhomes) and campsite fees were such that just staying in a hotel was more convenient and certainly cheaper for the amount of time per year we'd be on the road. Another key factor is distance and travel time, is that the east coast or west coast or Florida are days of driving away.

I'd say that before you buy any RV rent one instead and see how you like the experience. In fact, rent for a couple of weeks per year is cheaper than owning. Other thing is that it is far cheaper to fly to the west coast and then rent a motorhome than to rent here in Toronto and drive there + you're saving 6 - 8 days of vacation time.
A company I worked for bought a used one, stripped it out and made it into a mobile showroom demo van. It was a disaster. It ended up tail heavy and swayed like a drunken elephant on the highway. It toured Canada in the summer and the southern states in the winter because of plumbing issues. Everyone was glad to see it gone.

I can see the larger RVs for people with tons of money or tons of time, preferably both.

My life has had me limited to set time situations, be back in X days. My motorcycle touring was a little better, be back in X days or so. I planned the trip one day at a time.

To justify the expense and complications of a large RV I would have to change my personality to vagabond status.

Cost wise, one wonders if the old adage "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." has merit. Everyone has their own economic responsibility and idea of fun.

I can't see using one more than 30-40 days a year so the economics wouldn't work for me. Mid range motels and diners were cheaper but I haven't traveled much in the last few years. A colleague says hotel prices have shot up as have food prices. In 2008 I budgeted under $150 CDN a day travelling the USA on the Wing, Best Western and family diners. Our dollar was near par. Camping rates down there made me giggle compared to ours.

@timtune I would love something like that...nothing to be found in that price range anymore...where'd you find it?...want to sell? :D
Be very careful of anything on a older dodge van chassis the front frame members rot badly leaving the front suspension not really attached. Often the van looks pristine on the outside. I found out the hard way.

Sent from the future

Be very careful of anything on a older dodge van chassis the front frame members rot badly leaving the front suspension not really attached. Often the van looks pristine on the outside. I found out the hard way.

Sent from the future
Yeah most people like that setup on Chevy vans

My dad has a work van Ford E350 similar to this…

1670771813295.jpeg
Sometimes I wonder how difficult it would be to convert this into something like the one posted by @timtune or if it’s not even worth it.

Almost no kms on it for a 2007…maybe 150k.

@ifiddles Yes we watched the price rise right after we bought in. We were definately lucky. This van is pristine inside. Got it near Ancaster.
@nobbie48 Winterizing is actually not a big deal less than an hour. Insurance is a good deal for a change. (I expect they realize RVs don't make good race cars and they're usually driven by an old guy in a hat)
I think a year is about $450 and we get about $130 back as a discount for having it stored for 6 months. (Try that with your MC)
And unlike anything else I own it's insured for everything - fire, theft, etc.

My dad has a work van Ford E350 similar to this…

View attachment 58709
Sometimes I wonder how difficult it would be to convert this into something like the one posted by @timtune or if it’s not even worth it.

Almost no kms on it for a 2007…maybe 150k.
That project is double the work. You also need to build a garage to hold the current contents of the van.

Now, as to whether that is a good candidate to convert, it depends how extensive you are planning. Cost to convert a vehicle doesnt change hugely depending on base vehicle. Ease of selling and price does change a lot with the base vehicle. If it costs you 10k to convert, I'd say go for it. If the number looks more like 50, I'd start from a newer donor.

Back
Top Bottom