Todays ride is over. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Todays ride is over.

... and lack of maintenance includes not replacing the chain when it was worn out
Chain has less than 15km on her. It’s an xring, gets cleaned and oiled regularly - but that bike has has sat for 4 mos while I recovered from a knee injury. I didn’t lube before I set off.

The bike does see lots of gravel travel.

I suspect the master link.

Looks like the master link, but I can’t be sure till I get the bunch up cleared. Will take it apart later.

OK. Hope there is no damage. Curious to hear the likely cause. Chain breakage is something that happens rarely I think, but it can have expense consequences, as well as leaving you stranded.

Chain has less than 15km on her. It’s an xring, gets cleaned and oiled regularly - but that bike has has sat for 4 mos while I recovered from a knee injury. I didn’t lube before I set off.

The bike does see lots of gravel travel.

I suspect the master link.
15 kilometers or 15 K kilometers?

Master link? Clip style or riveted?
I'm pretty sure I had a clip with a safety wire master link. I'm not partial to rivet or clip - I use whatever comes with the chain.

Whenever I've used clip, I always use stainless safety wire.

Anyway, she's apart now and the master link is missing. The chain had a few blown-out orings but otherwise was OK, and it had almost no stretch. The bunch-up destroyed the clutch push rod, bushing and seal - $25 for the OE parts at SnoCity, +$100 for a new x-ring chain from Fortnine.

Should be rolling by Wed if the parts arrive on time.

15 kilometers or 15 K kilometers?
Come to think about is... probably more like 30,000 km - I put it on in the spring of 2022.

'Must have been a "puckering" experience if it happened at speed...

'Kinda makes me love my shaft drive more :)

Mine chain mishap left a hole in the cases that let you see gears. (one of a few mishaps on my white SOHC before it got parked decades ago and only recently resurrected)

The choices ARE: defective chain or lack of maintenance. A chain is a pretty simple machine... there's not much that CAN go wrong.
Knowing Me as I do I'm willing to bet lack of maintenance played a part. That said it was rumoured at the time that early Honda CB750s may have lost more chains than most because the battery vent tube exited pretty much over top the chain.......

Back
Top Bottom