Tire pressure gauges | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire pressure gauges

I put my faith in a cheap digital Accutire gauge I got from Canadian Tire two decades ago. I guess I don't actually know how accurate it is, but it is extremely consistent

I find that mine is consistent as well and I think that is more important if you can only choose between exact or consistent!
Inconsistent is complete garbage as it's just guessing and needs to go in the garbage. With a consistent but inaccurate gauge, by comparing against others or known good, you can use it with a manul offset like bitzz mentioned.

How about gauges attached to an air chuck. I keep promising myself I'll buy one but instead I add air check, add air check, release too much etc etc.

I just use 2 gauges and take the average. They are both within 2psi of eachother so I figure for street use it's good enough. One is a cheap pen stick type and the other a cheap battery type Accurist digital gauge.

How about gauges attached to an air chuck. I keep promising myself I'll buy one but instead I add air check, add air check, release too much etc etc.
Yup, even if they're not accurate, they're handy to get in the ballpark. My inflator has a built-in readout so I just over-inflate by 1 or 2 psi and then use the bleed valve on the Motion Pro to bring it down to the pressure I want. A quick press on the bleed valve button can drop the pressure by as little as .1 PSI per squirt, so accidentally releasing too much air isn't a problem.

You wanna know what is even better than a calibrated air pressure gauge?
A rider that can feel the difference in a wrongly inflated tire.
Try this: When your bike is as it should be, measure tire pressure. Now reduce the tire pressure in the front by ... let's say 5 psi, now go ride the bike and see how it handles... next try 7 psi low, then try 5 psi high, 7 psi high... and so on. Then switch to the rear (after setting the front to the original pressure) and do the same thing. Then both high and low, then front high, rear low... and so on
You will find it's pretty easy to sense a difference. I can tell if I am low/high by as little as 2 psi.
Riding on an under inflated tire is like riding in sand, riding on an over inflated tire is like riding on hockey pucks.
Next we will discuss riding on totally wack suspension settings

OH... and check your tire pressure regularity. It goes up and down with temperature and barometer fluctuations

I mainly use this digital gauge because the display is large enough to read without my reading glasses. It matches the readings from my old analog gauge and the TPS in my car:

PSA: When it runs low on batteries, the backlighting doesn't come on but the display still works. I didn't think this would be a problem since I don't use it in the dark, but instead of the display shutting off when it no longer has enough power to report a correct reading, it just continues to work and give wrong readings. Luckily it wasn't just a small difference over a long time - one day I checked the tires at 31, and the next it was reporting 26. Not thinking it was the gauge, I inflated back to an indicated 31, and the next day it read 36. So change the batteries when the backlighting stops working.

One you recommend?
Meh. I have a PA one that I had to replace the gauge on as it had gone way off and a milton similar to this. They are ok but not great. If I get another one it will be digital. It will probably be dead every time I want to use it though as most cheap digital things have high phantom draw and I'm not spending hundreds on one.

11WP26_AS01

I put my faith in a cheap digital Accutire gauge I got from Canadian Tire two decades ago. I guess I don't actually know how accurate it is, but it is extremely consistent

Wait, wut..?
How can one determine consistency if it's not accurate...?
If it's "wrong" all the time... I mean... How..? Wait.... Like...

THrTb3A.gif

Wait, wut..?
How can one determine consistency if it's not accurate...?
If it's "wrong" all the time... I mean... How..? Wait.... Like...

THrTb3A.gif
If I set all 4 tires on a car to "32 psi", the same gauge will still read "32" on all tires a week later (at the same time of day, same temperature, etc).

I can't prove "32 psi" = 32 psi though

Back
Top Bottom