Thinking of getting back on a motorcycle! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of getting back on a motorcycle!

Thanks again everybody for your insights. Much appreciated.

I find it interesting the split opinions on new vs. old helmet. I guess they are similar to child seats with an expiry date and the explanation of the protective materials hardening over time. I've always wondered if it was all a cash grab using guilt and fear as motivation to sell products. We want to give our own children the best right? Same with protecting our own noggin.

Get a new helmet, don't be a cheapskate. I picked up one of my fifteen year helmets recently, and found that the foam of the interior padding had degraded completely. Essentially, they had dried out and turned to dust. A new HJC is relatively inexpensive.

Oh, and go for a 500, too. Welcome back!

found that the foam of the interior padding had degraded completely. Essentially, they had dried out and turned to dust.

for the reasons i already stated, there used to be a lot of truth to the "replace every 5 years/

helmet liners used to be made of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), which had a lifespan before it would decay and get hard.

modern liners are made of Expanded Polyethylene (EPE, although much advertising incorrectly labels it as EPS), which is much more durable in the long run that EPS.

for the reasons i already stated, there used to be a lot of truth to the "replace every 5 years/

helmet liners used to be made of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), which had a lifespan before it would decay and get hard.

modern liners are made of Expanded Polyethylene (EPE, although much advertising incorrectly labels it as EPS), which is much more durable in the long run that EPS.

Thanks Voc. Noted. New helmet it will be. I will probably pick up mesh riding pants too. My leather ones are old racing ones and way too hot/heavy in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom