Thinking of getting back on a motorcycle! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of getting back on a motorcycle!

special_k_828

Hey GTAers.

It's been almost 15 years since I have ridden. I have an itch to try again! I used to ride a '92 Kawasaki EX500. This time around, I am going to get either a CBR125R or a Ninja 250R. Just a couple of questions to the more experienced here.

15 years ago, I rode for a season. I really didn't put on that many kms either...I would estimate around 2000 or so tops. I took the course at Humber College back then as well. This time around what have others in similar situations done? Did you take the course again? Just got the M1 and started riding again? I feel pretty confident that I can still ride safely and effectively.

Life is definitely different now than it was 15 years ago. Married, kids, etc. I don't want to have to spend too much money. I still have all of my old riding gear. HJC CL-11 helmet, HJC blue/white leather jacket, leather riding pants, etc. Is that still usable (helmet in particular)? I don't mind looking goofy in my old school leather jacket but the helmet is pretty important. I have never dropped my HJC and it's been stored in it's original box/wrapping since. Only taken out twice in those 15 years to do autoX and Go karting but from what I've been reading, I should replace it? It's so comfortable!

What's best practice in terms of foot wear? Do guys still wear steel toe?

Just got an insurance quote. On a CBR125R it will be under $30 a month... for a ninja 250, $40. Thoughts on either bike?

Cheers,
K

No clue on wether or not the helmet is good..but as for the bikes, do yourself a favor and get a 250. I'm on my first season of riding and the 250 is feeling slow already.. I'm not going to be breaking any speed records here, but you still need a bike that can at least do highway speeds without being redlined. The difference of $10 a month is more than worth it.

Everyone here is going to tell you to get a new helmet except me. Your old helmet is fine.

So did you get your licence 15 years ago? Because you mentioned m1.. I didnt think they had m1 back then?

I also agree the 250 is better choice hands down... The 125 is limited.. Cant make a left turn without up shifting to second mid turn some people are saying

Yep... If I recall correctly, graduated licensing came into effect in 94.

Retrogrouch, care to elaborate on the helmet thing?

Thanks again everybody for your input.

new helmet, technology has come further in the last number of years. Helmets get banged around over time. You only get 1 head, treat it right. The question is, what if you don't? How sorry would you be if you knew a couple hundred bucks could have made a difference in a collision?

rode an ex500 before? get at least a 250, or another 500. they're great bikes.

replace the helmet. the EPS-polystyrene the CL's used will get hard. modern EPS-polyprolene is more resistant to hardening.

Get proper riding boots. Steel toe are the not the way to go. Also, just pick up another EX500. There have been a few on Kijiji for reasonable prices. Full-sized, plenty of power to keep you interested, excellent on gas, and a comfortable commuter. You're not going to get sick of it in one season. I started on one. Good bikes. Plenty of parts and advice/help for them too (ex-500.com).

I would take the course again if i were you to start over. Your helmet should be fine to use if it's not dropped, but most ppl would tell you to get a new one if it's more than 5 yrs old...

Do it man.. its dangerous!

I'd also say get another EX or similar, like the GS500.

As for the helmet. The 5 year "rule" is cause that's what manufactures "warranty" their product as. And Snell does their cert every 5 years. Yes, helmet tech has improved somewhat...but. It's up to you. If your old one has been stored properly, no solvent fumes, minimal UV, etc. It's probably alright structurally. I remember reading a test where they compared the materials from an old helmet stored properly and a new one....minor differences.

Then again....does the old helmet even fit you properly now? It's only an HJC, they are cheap enough to replace with now.

Last edited:
Everyone here is going to tell you to get a new helmet except me. Your old helmet is fine.

+1
And don't bother with the 125cc
You'll get bored

Look into a refresher course just to shake some of the 15yrs worth of rust off

You mentioned only riding a little bit 15 years ago. I'd do the rider's course before picking out a bike. When I did RTI, they had CBR125's and I found them on the small side. Not from a power perspective. Simply from a comfort perspective.

I've heard or read about helmets getting old, the foam deteriorates over time and doesn't obsorb impact that same way. You can't see it, as the shell of the helmet looks great, shiny and new.

But, it's your money and your head. I ride with a DOT beannie on a HD so, it would be hypocritical to suggest you buy a new helmet. Another of my beanie's rattles around in one of saddle bags and looks like crap and I wear it too. I'm pretty sure you'll get most folks tell you to get a new one but, I don't tell squids they should ride with gear either. I've been known to ride without a jacket from time to time too.

So, do what your conscience says you should do. You can never been too careful. Nothing wrong with getting a new helmet and gear.

And as for a bike, I'd look at the CBR250 myself. Or a newer Ninja 500 if you can find one that is reasonable.

Happy hunting and hope you get out there soon enough.

Cheers.

You now have a lot more responsibility, but if you are comfortable taking the risk of your old equipment, you'll do it regardless of what anyone here says. Problem with the helmet is there's no way to know until you test it the hard way.

I stepped away from riding for about the same amount of time as you (previously had a 1986 FZ600), came back and bought a BMW F800S. Also upgraded to new gear with CE armour, the works. That was my comfort zone.

Didn't redo the M course, but did go through the FAST and Turn2 courses, plus a lot of practicing. Might want to look at the Lee Parks courses that are coming to town. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...Parks-and-Total-Control-are-coming-to-Ontario

Regardless of your decision, take it easy, go your own pace and enjoy the ride!

Back
Top Bottom