Rode to Ottawa from Toronto on a 250 Ninja. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rode to Ottawa from Toronto on a 250 Ninja.

This is not what I want to hear, I'm 6'3" and for my first bike next year I am going for a ninja 250 :(

Don't let that phase you, it's an awesome bike to start on and incredibly cheap to keep on the road. I pay $60/m insurance and ottawa and back the long way only cost me about $45 worth of premium fuel. doesn't get better than that. It's just not that greatest for those long rides if you're tall... I'm sure an SS would be unfortable as well..

I spent almost 13 hours on mine this weekend. I had to stop every 60-90 minutes or so to to stretch and give my knees/*** a break.

I'm thinking to improve the comfort for longer rides, a Corbin saddle and angled handle bar raisers would help a bit. The stock saddle is pretty much hard plastic.

I pay $60/m insurance

I doubt insurance for me would be so low, who are you insured by?
I plan on getting my M1 and then M2 with a safety course this year and then buy a 2008-9 ninja next year. Only kicker is, I'm 18 now and will be 19 when I start riding.

Last edited:
If you're going to Ottawa again over a couple of days, you can take a much more fun route to Ottawa than highway 7. Look north.

If you're going to Ottawa again over a couple of days, you can take a much more fun route to Ottawa than highway 7. Look north.

Meh... having a few friends there, it was worth it for me to take the 401/416 all the way to Ottawa, even on a 250cc. Saved a lot of time, arrived much less sore.

One thing I did notice:
Going east I got about 77 mpg
Going west I got about 41 mpg

Strong tailwind and headwind.

I did that ride last year.....1000km/day....

ottawa and back the long way only cost me about $45 worth of premium fuel. doesn't get better than that.

Yes it does, use the regular fuel the bike was designed to run on. You'll save money and likely make MORE power than with premium.

Oh the Ottawa trip. Did that a few times last year and once in late November in 09... that was not cool. If anyone is doing a trip up there in the future, post it and I'll gladly join. Oh, and yeh, there are way more fun roads if you detour north of 7, but I typically just take the slab after work on Friday and the fun roads on the way home on Sunday.

Yes it does, use the regular fuel the bike was designed to run on. You'll save money and likely make MORE power than with premium.

I know it says that 87 is the minimum to run it in the manual, but I've read that anything with a compression ratio over over 11.1:1 higher octain would be better.. and that the compression ratio of the 250 is 11.6:1.

I know the basics, but I'm not that mechanically inclined to know exactly what that means. Just go by what I've read and what people have told me. :p

I know it says that 87 is the minimum to run it in the manual, but I've read that anything with a compression ratio over over 11.1:1 higher octain would be better.. and that the compression ratio of the 250 is 11.6:1.

I know the basics, but I'm not that mechanically inclined to know exactly what that means. Just go by what I've read and what people have told me. :p

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_kind_of_fuel_should_I_use?

so basically unless I'm at a high altitude, it makes no difference at all and they perform exactly the same and neither is cleaner than the other.. except premium costs an extra $2-3 per tank.

good to know.

I ride back and forth between Ottawa and Toronto at least once a month. Hwy 7 is much nicer than the 401 but takes a bit longer as you have to watch your speed (80km/h limit) pretty much the whole time. If anyone knows a good route north of 7 or is planning to make the trip I'd be happy to come along.

I did vancouver and back on a GS500 2 weeks after getting my M2. While sitting on the side of the road somewhere in Manitoba eating cold hot dogs I got passed by 5 cyclists .. they didn't stop to talk but I yelled questions at them one by one as they went past. Halifax to Vancouver by bicycle. They didn't even break pace to look at me, I'm surprised they even yelled back.

Back
Top Bottom