Recycling bin junkie! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recycling bin junkie!

After COVID lockdowns in March 2020 we went through the house cleaning and purging stuff that had been sitting around way too long. Good feeling, it's amazing how stuff "you might need some day" can add up over time.

I just finished an exterior house painting project at the cottage and used all kinds of containers and rags in the process, good use for them.

I always keep a few empty WW jugs for old oil. 3 - 4 is OK, if you have 50 of them spilling out of your garage you have a problem.

I have 26.8 kilometres of stereo patch cords , mostly from CDs , reel to reel and cassette players and other dead technology.
I’m a woodworker so I keep every piece of scrap exotic lumber , about once a month we light the pizza oven and burn $300 worth of wood and make a $4 pizza .
And every piece of tired rope that comes off a boat , hundreds of feet that will likely never be used again .
I don’t need to go rummaging around the recycling bin , every yogurt container gets rinsed and stacked for painting tubs , mixing grout , draining stuff , holding small parts . I only eat yogurt for the containers.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
A foot of 2X4 is only worth fifty cents but if you need a foot you have to buy an eight footer. You also have to drive to the lumberyard and back. I made a jig that turns scraps of 2X4 into shims. I also have scraps of exotics that are so small they're only good for making plugs but that means I don't have to hack a good piece of wood to get a plug or two.

Scraps of steel, brass and aluminum are in five gallon pails. Always handy to make a bracket or ???

I'm presently laminating a bunch of walnut scraps together to make a drawer for a laptop. Expected material cost, Zero.

Metal cutting tools and a welder increases the amount of stuff you save. Then we get into composites.

A battery table or bedside lamp that shuts itself off. Made from an ancient model airplane timer, switch from a scrapped microwave, bits of brass and wood

010r.jpg

Last edited:
I have 26.8 kilometres of stereo patch cords , mostly from CDs , reel to reel and cassette players and other dead technology.
I’m a woodworker so I keep every piece of scrap exotic lumber , about once a month we light the pizza oven and burn $300 worth of wood and make a $4 pizza .
And every piece of tired rope that comes off a boat , hundreds of feet that will likely never be used again .
I don’t need to go rummaging around the recycling bin , every yogurt container gets rinsed and stacked for painting tubs , mixing grout , draining stuff , holding small parts . I only eat yogurt for the containers.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
For small touch ups I use the tiny dosing cups that come with liquid meds like nyquil. I mix a couple of squirts from spray cans in the cup to get the desired colour and then a small dollar store brush to do the repair.

On a related note, does anyone have extra IEC cables (computer power cords)? At one point I had so many it was ridiculous and I scrapped dozens. Lately, I've bought a number of things that need them and didn't come with them and I am short. I can't bring myself to buy them as I know there are hundreds destined for the landfill

On a related note, does anyone have extra IEC cables (computer power cords)? At one point I had so many it was ridiculous and I scrapped dozens. Lately, I've bought a number of things that need them and didn't come with them and I am short. I can't bring myself to buy them as I know there are hundreds destined for the landfill
How many you need and what length?

I have some 15ft as well.

I will be in Barrie on Monday, I can drop off.

Last edited:
How many you need and what length?

I have some 15ft as well.

I will be in Barrie In Monday, I can drop off.
Thanks so much. A handful helps. I have four devices without cords at this point. 6' works fine as there are lots of power points where they are being used.

Thanks so much. A handful helps. I have four devices without cords at this point. 6' works fine as there are lots of power points where they are being used.
Thank you for helping me declutter.
You may get more than you wished for.

Anything else?
HDMI
Ethernet
USB
VGA
DVI

PC components?
Full PC.

Back
Top Bottom