Rabaconda tire changer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rabaconda tire changer

It feels like all of these would be well served by allowing attachment to a trailer hitch. Almost 100% of their clients will have a hitch and that provides a lot of mass and stability when connected.
I've seen setups like this, and considered getting a hitch vise plate to rig up my own. I experimented with using a long bar as a bead breaker simply hinged/wedged under the current hitch bar, with the wheel on the ground. But I found the soft suspension on my car deflected so much that any advantage of having the hitch as a mounting point was lost. The suspension just absorbed all the energy from the lever and moved the car up and down instead of transmitting it where I wanted it.

I've seen setups like this, and considered getting a hitch vise plate to rig up my own. I experimented with using a long bar as a bead breaker simply hinged/wedged under the current hitch bar, with the wheel on the ground. But I found the soft suspension on my car deflected so much that any advantage of having the hitch as a mounting point was lost. The suspension just absorbed all the energy from the lever and moved the car up and down instead of transmitting it where I wanted it.
You could make some soft of brace between the hitch and the ground. Even a car jack could work if the height is not too high.

You should try a NoMar so you can compare. I'm about the same weight as you and struggled with getting enough leverage to use a NoMar with stiff tires like Dunlops, and usually have to get another person to help muscle the lever all the way around.

With the No-Mar it's all about technique... If you find yourself having to use brute force you're probably doing something incorrectly.
'Took me a few changes to figure out how to get my stiffies on, but now.... 'Goes pretty easy.

I have one of those harbour freight types that breaks beads and hold the rims. I’d say they easier to use, less moving parts, 3 irons and the tire is off in a couple of minutes.

I clamp it to my bench.

Put a foot on the hitch bar.

Glad I used a 180/55ZR17 in my video. Wouldn't want to disappoint @Gaoler like the other youtubers who spend their free time trying to help people but don't live up to his expectations lol

You could make some soft of brace between the hitch and the ground. Even a car jack could work if the height is not too high.
Put a foot on the hitch bar.
These could work, but I eventually discarded the hitch idea because if I absolutely needed a lever bead breaker I'd just mount it directly to the open trailer deck. A 1" pipe and pipe floor flange makes a very sturdy removable upright upon which the bead breaker arm could hinge. That also provides a fixed distance to the deck, which is better in lots of ways than putting the wheel on the ground. Ultimately, the big C-clamp isn't much worse than a lever bead breaker for the relatively few times that I need to use it while away from home, and it's way more packable. I also already owned it.

As an aside... I get a kick out of all the youtubers who put up videos on "how to change your motorcycle tire" and they demonstrate their unworldly skill using a skinny dirt bike tire.
try that over your knees on a 180/55 ZR17 with your silly little spoons.
Yup, tire type and brand makes a huge difference. One trackday last year it was 40+ degrees with the humidex and I saw some poor sucker trying to mount a rear tire on the ground by hand. His rear tire had worn completely bare by midday, so he'd scrounged a race slick takeoff from someone in the pits to get himself through the afternoon. I felt bad so I went over and helped him. That was my first time working with a slick and it was so soft we managed to get it mounted almost literally by hand. Barely even needed the tire irons. I was stunned how easy it was to mount in comparison to the Dunlops I'd been using.

I have one of those harbour freight types that breaks beads and hold the rims. I’d say they easier to use, less moving parts, 3 irons and the tire is off in a couple of minutes.

I clamp it to my bench.

I know a few people with this changer. Its tremendous value, seems to work well and they are happy with it.

The Rabaconda is a slick unit. Buy it if you can afford it or just want it. Maybe get a few people together to purchase and share.

Glad I used a 180/55ZR17 in my video. Wouldn't want to disappoint @Gaoler like the other youtubers who spend their free time trying to help people but don't live up to his expectations lol
I'm guessing these tire machines are the most popular with the MX crowd as they go thru a lot of tires and are on and off more to repair punctures.

If you want tough, try changing 2.25 X 14 or 100/60-14 tube tires on a 12mm axle. I did a couple a few weeks back, toughest tire change I've done in a while.

I'm guessing these tire machines are the most popular with the MX crowd as they go thru a lot of tires and are on and off more to repair punctures.

If you want tough, try changing 2.25 X 14 or 100/60-14 tube tires on a 12mm axle. I did a couple a few weeks back, toughest tire change I've done in a while.
I tried changing tires on 8 or 10" trailer rims before with spoons. It was hard, I punctured the new tube. I threw everything out and bought new wheels with tires already mounted.

Oh yeah, I just remembered a third dislike.

3) You may need special adapters that aren't included. For example, the two bikes I put the most km on are my G650GS and my Vespa GTS250. The G650GS takes a thin axle compared to the average street bike, so that needed a separate adapter. The Vespa uses a single sided swing arm front and rear, so that also needs a separate adapter.

Now, I think the current Street Bike Tire Changer Start Kit includes the right sized axle for the G650GS (it didn't used to)... but I believe for other bikes with single sided swing arms and other bikes with big hubs, you'll still need the big hub adapter separate...

For most people this won't apply but, at least now you know.
Yes I needed the narrow axle adapter for my DL650 as well

Back
Top Bottom