Proper etiquette "paying it forward" | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proper etiquette "paying it forward"

Heres a bit more background. I didn't pay it forward. I think the guy infront of me got wrapped up in the chain, he most likely had his meal paid for and then felt obligated to continue the chain. I definitely did not look like I needed a hand out and I also don't look like the friendliest fellow! When I got to the window, I already had my card out ready to tap and the guy said that the guy infront of me had paid for my meal, my reply was "why did he do that". I thought for a second to pass it on but.... the guy behind me was already in my bad books because he didn't leave a gap for cross traffic to pass through between the drive thru order speaker thingy and the window. The guy infront of me and myself did however. Common courtesy. I had no clue about the tip the employees instead policy but I would not tip $30 anyways. I was more surprised by the hole gesture more than anything, I had heard of ppl buying coffees for ppl and small things but didn't realize paying for larger bills.

I had heard of ppl buying coffees for ppl and small things but didn't realize paying for larger bills.
My guess is that is often an oversight followed by embarrassment so they don't want to retract the offer. "Your bill was paid, do you want to pay the bill behind you?" gets a yes/no answer from most people. When they pass you the machine and it is $30, I suspect most swear under their breath and then tap.

Exactly! They asked if I wanted to pay for the next person and I said sure.

They said "are you sure, it's two combos?"

I always get a breakfast and coffee for the hourlong commute and most often pay forward just buy a coffee or two so I figured "sure, why not"

And the minimum wagers were probably like "I bet you got an easier job than me" and they'd be probably right because almost everyone does.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I think the "proper protocol" is for you to pay for the order of the person that was behind you.

Heres a bit more background. I didn't pay it forward. I think the guy infront of me got wrapped up in the chain,

I don't think it's a chain.

"Pay it forward" means do something nice for someone else anytime in the future. Doesn't have to be paying for a meal. Look back at the line-up in the supermarket. If the young mother with three kids crawling all over her is looking particularly miserable and she's got diapers and baby food on the conveyer belt behind you, just tell the checkout person, "I got that as well".

Smile and tell the person behind you, "Just pay it forward".

"Pay it forward" means do something nice for someone else anytime in the future. Doesn't have to be paying for a meal. Look back at the line-up in the supermarket. If the young mother with three kids crawling all over her is looking particularly miserable and she's got diapers and baby food on the conveyer belt behind you, just tell the checkout person, "I got that as well".

I like that. Do something nice for somebody. Hold open a door, or help loading the car. One and done.

I'm really only dissing the drive thru game.

The first time it happened to me, the drive thru queue had just merged from two to one, and I let someone go first. They arrived after I did, but they should be in front of me according to the "zipper merge".
I'll never know if they were just being really grateful, or if they were in the middle chain.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Wow, your really trying to single me out as a bad guy.

That’s me!

I had this happen in Florida a few yrs back. Was cutoff at the pay fair gate. The person who cut me off paid for my trip on that section of road

The coffee bar in Rome we go to has a corkboard with coffee receipts pinned to it. As the system is to pay first and turn in your receipt to the bar to get your coffee, anyone can grab a receipt off the board for one paid by a stranger in advance. It's called caffè sospeso, or suspended coffee, and it's intended for someone who needs a free cup. I never saw anyone actually claim a prepaid coffee, but the barista said it does happen regularly. It's a Neapolitan tradition that's spread across Italy, especially at Christmas. A coffee is €1.50, though, not $30...

Smacks a bit of virtue signalling but it is also fun and gratifying.
Once in a while when I was far more flush I would gift a young couple hitchiking or looking travel weary with $50 - the beaming smiles worthwhile.
I'd rather choose my largesse.

Back
Top Bottom