Ontario Science Centre | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Science Centre

What a load of poo (reality not beaverton). Report said roof may collapse under snow load. Douggie kills it in June. It will be interesting to see what happens with staff that have no where to work for many years.

Dougie wants to move it to Ontario Place.
The Ontario government knew the roof was in trouble, but wouldn't release funds to fix it... and now the HUGE timber roof rafters, that were made from Ontario trees, that were the largest wooden beams in the world when new, are now rotten so they can't move them.
Thanks Doug... now it will cost as much to FIX Don Mills Rd as to build new at Ontario Place... which the cynic in me tells me that's just what he wanted.
Is Dougie getting a job at Ellis Don when he leaves government? He'd fit in....

The Ontario government knew the roof was in trouble, but wouldn't release funds to fix it... and now the HUGE timber roof rafters, that were made from Ontario trees, that were the largest wooden beams in the world when new, are now rotten so they can't move them.
Thanks Doug... now it will cost as much to FIX Don Mills Rd as to build new at Ontario Place... which the cynic in me tells me that's just what he wanted.

Sounds like he's already getting paid by them.

CAD gov at it's finest. I'm sure they are putting peoples interests first, and not their own. :rolleyes:

I just drove past that area, which is under heavy redevelopment, now that IBM is gone. It's wouldn't surprise me somehow they eventually close it down. Just because they have other interests in mind. I've talked with people who know the venue and say it could be repaired for less then it would be to relocate it. 🤷‍♂️

My gut says if they close it, they will not replace or relocate it, and will be the end of OSC.

I thought the plan was to relocate it elsewhere due to inefficient use of space? I went to the Science Center in the spring with my kids, and it was VERY inefficient. Escalator after escalator and tons of wasted space in b/w them.

https://thebeaverton.com/2024/06/on...llapsing-under-weight-of-doug-fords-********/

The timing of the engineering report and imminent collapse under snow load unfortunately makes me question the legitimacy of it, considering that there are powers that be that want to develop that prime land.

EDIT:

How handy...about 7M to fix...that's def less than building a new one.

I thought the plan was to relocate it elsewhere due to inefficient use of space? I went to the Science Center in the spring with my kids, and it was VERY inefficient. Escalator after escalator and tons of wasted space in b/w them.

The timing of the engineering report and imminent collapse under snow load unfortunately makes me question the legitimacy of it, considering that there are powers that be that want to develop that prime land.

EDIT:

It's the structural load on bank accounts that matter.

Ever see Unlimited Hydroplanes race? Some sight, and back then it was some sound. Going by memory it was 28 feet long with a RR Merlin engine in it. As those became harder to find, the racers started to use the Packard V12, which was an authorised knock-off of the Merlin, or Allison V12s.

Apparently the problem is with the type of concrete used, not the timbers.

The concrete roof leaked and the timbers got wet and rotted. The plan WAS to move the timbers to the new site, cuz they were a cool Ontario thing, but now they're rotten.

EDIT:

The existing science centre is past its due date. Many of the exhibits are stale, old, or irrelevant, and haven't been updated in a long time.

Science and tech have advanced faster than the OSC. Hard to capture the interest of visitors accustomed to modern digital interactions with stuff dreamt up in the 60s.

Teaching has changed, watching movies and presentations has been replaced with interactive and immersive experiences in modern science museums, which is sorely lacking in the Ontario Science Centre.

If we’re going to have a science museum, it should be World Class, like the ones in San Fran, Washington, Chicago, London, Munich, Paris or Tokyo.

The current Science Centre itself is old and outdated. Amenities, accessibility features, and location are not at current standards or visitor expectations.

Kill it or reimagine it. Relocate it into Toronto’s core, not a sleepy suburb

Back
Top Bottom