One giant leap for electric motorcycles | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

One giant leap for electric motorcycles

My needs are simple...gimme a range of 100km, and a price of under 6k and I'm sold. Unless an electric motorcycle can meet that, no chance for me as it would never meet my needs. The 100km range is to get to work and back. If I can charge the pack at work on a 110V...sure I can deal with 60km range each way.

EDIT: I'm ok with the short range because going for a quick evening ride is usually 30-50km anyway within the city limits. If I'm going for a full day, no bike I know of has a 300+km range.
There are already electric scooters and bikes that do 100 km range and cost under $1,500. Welcome to 2017.

There are already electric scooters and bikes that do 100 km range and cost under $1,500. Welcome to 2017.
And I can take them on the highway? Sign me up! Can you link me to a few? Going 50km one way on side streets will take way too long. And riding a bicycle that far....e-assist or not...not going to be fun.

And I can take them on the highway? Sign me up! Can you link me to a few? Going 50km one way on side streets will take way too long. And riding a bicycle that far....e-assist or not...not going to be fun.
Assuming it was possible and legal would you want to be on the 401 on a tiny scooter? It's the champion of lane splitting but otherwise it would be all sorts of bad imo.

This is the only way I see Electric vehicles moving into the future.
Quickly change out my used battery for a recharged unit and bang boom, off I go.

Chances of getting a stinker battery may arise, so having a mobile unit to send to change a battery on the go will also be a considetation.
Once that is put into place, they could send that unit to almost anybody who has ran out of juice in the middle of a mountain pass.

Like Brian P said, once the battery technology moves to something better you're out of luck.
I don't thing this is a viable argument against exchangeable batteries.
It's only the size and connection that will restrict a changeable battery.
Even if there are better batteries to use. You can still use the exact same size unit, with better batteries.

I honestly think this is a step in the right direction.

I don't know man, why do you want electric? To avoid paying for insurance? You will have to pay for insurance on such a bike. I don't think I want a silent gayish electric motorcycle that doesn't make engine noise or that I can't smell the gasoline fumes. Not my cup of tea.

Really? Electrics are 'gayish'?

I though everything other than a Harley made you gay.

/sarcasm

I don't know man, why do you want electric? To avoid paying for insurance? You will have to pay for insurance on such a bike. I don't think I want a silent gayish electric motorcycle that doesn't make engine noise or that I can't smell the gasoline fumes. Not my cup of tea.
No was just curious what you were referencing. I've never seen an electric bike being able to meet all those criteria, so was interested to see what you had in mind.

EDIT: For instance, if I had the skills / knowledge I'd love to build something like this just for kicks.....

Last edited:
Toronto may opt out of the e-scooter trial. They have seen the garbage dropped on them with ebikes and don't want to deal with a similar scooter mess. If toronto doesn't allow them, I don't think they'll do well in ontario. Another good idea in theory that will suck due to half ass government regs.

“Based on extensive research and feedback, this report concludes that accessibility barriers, safety concerns and insurance issues remain unresolved for privately owned and rental e-scooters,” the report, which is scheduled to be presented to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee next week, said.

“The solutions proposed by e-scooter industry participants are not satisfactory in addressing the concerns from the Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee, disability groups, residents, and City staff. Accordingly, City staff recommend that Toronto not opt-in to the e-scooter pilot.”

City staff say that the pilot program would create “a general safety hazard in the public realm.” add further barriers for the elderly and persons living with disabilities, create a burden on pre-existing infrastructure and would be poorly enforced."

Back
Top Bottom