Older Unused Helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Older Unused Helmet

Vanessa

Hello .

I have an EXO2000 SCORPION EXO that I bought years ago to take a class at Centennial but never got around to it.

I finally found a spot in their spring calendar 2024 but I understand that my brand new unworn helmet is no longer safe to use because it expired years ago.

What are my options? I had hoped to sell it to buy a lighter helmet that I could afford now (I like the shoei and HJC) but I appear to be out of luck; Or am I?

Would appreciate any feedback on what to do.

Thanks.

Hello .

I have an EXO2000 SCORPION EXO that I bought years ago to take a class at Centennial but never got around to it.

I finally found a spot in their spring calendar 2024 but I understand that my brand new unworn helmet is no longer safe to use because it expired years ago.

What are my options? I had hoped to sell it to buy a lighter helmet that I could afford now (I like the shoei and HJC) but I appear to be out of luck; Or am I?

Would appreciate any feedback on what to do.

Thanks.
how old are we talking?

you could probably wear it for a class (m1 exit?) and be okay, i'd be more concerned about higher speed situations.

I know at our courses the instructors are supposed to check the date on the helmet.
If it presents as brand new, some people may not.
I had one helmet that a student brought in, borrowed from his uncle, where pieces were literally falling out of the inside liner.
The helmet that I used to pass my course, was Snell rated and, bought at the winter show for $80 from GP Bikes.

Common wisdom used to be 5-7 years from date of manufacture. However there was a long discussion here recently (Helmet life) that has had me rethink that.

Of course, whether or not the Centennial instructors will give you trouble over it is another matter, hopefully one of them chime in and give a definitive answer

how old are we talking?

you could probably wear it for a class (m1 exit?) and be okay, i'd be more concerned about higher speed situations.
It looks like r2000 is 2014+ and r2000 evo is 2017+. Hopefully op gives us a real date. Seems ok to me. Sure, newer is probably better but it's not like this is a super dave helmet from the 80's.

The HJC modular helmet I was given by the organization will be eight years old from the date stamped inside the helmet in February.
I asked about a new helmet last year, and was told that one would be forthcoming.
In the meantime, I purchased a new Schuberth C5 for myself, and have a spare C3 Pro that's not too old.

For me, 4 years is the cut-off. After that it gets replaced.
You only get one brain, why take the risk?

I'd go broke replacing helmets on a four year schedule. That would be more than one new helmet every year.

For construction hard hats:

MSA hard hat shells should be used no longer than 5 years, while suspensions should be replaced after 12 months. Both are the maximum time frame for replacement, calculated from date of first use. The date of manufacture is stamped or molded onto the hard hat shell, usually on the underside of the brim.

Plastics break down just sitting and a lot depends on where they were stored, baking in the sun or in a dark controlled atmosphere. The construction helmets have a whole different lifestyle, being dropped daily. The suspensions caught me.

It's tempting to say if you're a low speed rider do you need a high speed helmet. Ignoring laws, if you don't plan on going faster than a bicycle do you need more than a bicycle helmet?

Riding a motorcycle is a gamble to start with. You just play with the odds.

IMO, if all helmets that were dropped or were over five years old were scrapped there would be a shortage on the market.

Do you plan on having a crash? If not, go with the cheapest. Before you go that route, talk to people that have crashed and ask them if they planned it.

Thank you! After reviewing the video posting I took a look at the helmet: Dec 2013. An an older newer rider I would feel better with something newer . And perhaps a little lighter (the issue of neck fatique is something I never even considered but important as I have always had issues with upper back and neck. Anything to make my riding journey more comfortable is appreciated. Thank you.:)

TIL helmets expire. 🫡

I understand that the strap no longer fits snugly after prolonged used but isn't the plastic supposed to last forever if you never crashed or damaged your helmet.

Even under extreme weather it takes years of direct exposure for plastic to start deteriorating.

TIL helmets expire. 🫡

I understand that the strap no longer fits snugly after prolonged used but isn't the plastic supposed to last forever if you never crashed or damaged your helmet.

Even under extreme weather it takes years of direct exposure for plastic to start deteriorating.
The foam degrades over time. It gets harder and/or falls apart. The foam is what you need to absorb energy and try to save your brain.

Last edited:
The HJC modular helmet I was given by the organization will be eight years old from the date stamped inside the helmet in February.
I asked about a new helmet last year, and was told that one would be forthcoming.
In the meantime, I purchased a new Schuberth C5 for myself, and have a spare C3 Pro that's not too old.
This is one of the brands on my wish list, alongside two other brands that had a very nice graphic at the time. But still a little dear, unless I can find a newer older replacement online in Canada someplace.

My 2 cents, that is literally worth 2 cents . Different helmets will last longer from suffering internal breakdown or plastic degradation depending on brand and what they put in there in the first place . Can a 10yr old helmet pass all the impact tests ? Maybe . Is a $1000 lid actually better than a $300 lid ? Maybe . I tend to err on the side of caution, my goal is to never find out , but if I was doing a super Dave into the buckwheat , I don’t want to think about the $300 bucks I saved .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I will replace the helmet. Peace of mind. Best to start my journey to becoming a rider without the worry. At my age and experience level (novice).

I do not like throwing things away unless they are done. What to do with the helmet is now my dilemma.

I will replace the helmet. Peace of mind. Best to start my journey to becoming a rider without the worry. At my age and experience level (novice).

I do not like throwing things away unless they are done. What to do with the helmet is now my dilemma.
You can ask your local fire department as in the past they used them to practice cutting helmets off. Not sure if they still do that.

You can keep it as art.

You can keep it as a spare/guest helmet. Obviously not ideal but it's hard to justify hundreds for a helmet that gets used a few days a year.

You can carry it on your bike as in a crash, insurance will pay for it to be replaced.

Flower planter , practise custom painting or folk art . Leave it on an end table as a conversation piece . Take it to work so everyone knows you ride .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom