Oil and Filter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil and Filter

timtune

Site Supporter
Couple weeks ago in Caliboogie we were sitting around discussing oil changes and I found out most of my riding buddies only replace the filter every other change. These guys arn't newbies. They all have multiple bikes and decades of riding.

Have I just been wasting my money??

FWIW, the owner's manual and the factory service manual for the 1st gen VStrom 650 only calls for a filter change every third oil change. Oil every 6000km, filter every 18000km

Last edited:
XSR900 owner's manual calls for oil every 6k, filter every 12k.
Ninja 300 and Z650 owner's manuals call for oil and filter every 12k

Can't go wrong following the owner's manual but I honestly don't know what mine say ... will need to look.

Both of my bikes say oil & filter at the same time (as I've been doing).

Not all oil filters are created equal.
You can design a long service life filter... or not. A long life filter will not filter as well when it is new, it needs to pick up crap from the oil, which makes it filter media "pores" smaller and smaller... but the filter has to be designed to work that way. So if you have a long life filter, you're doing the bike a dis-service by changing it too soon, they filter more as the filter ages.
Follow manufacturer's recommendations to be safe, use oil analysis to decide what "safe" is.

Just checked the manual. Yup a filter every second change. Never too old to learn.....

Back
Top Bottom