Oil and Filter $$$ | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil and Filter $$$

Good point. Damit. I'll be quiet now!

BTW It was more of a breather issue, too much crank pressure.
So your issue was oil related?
As a general rule I'm very lax on oil changes. I've owned a number of cars that only saw the oil topped up and never changed. I don't really believe "good" oil makes any difference, just have enough.
The only engine failure (spun a crank bearing) I've had was because I was pushing very hard and was down a quart or two.

So your issue was oil related?
As a general rule I'm very lax on oil changes. I've owned a number of cars that only saw the oil topped up and never changed. I don't really believe "good" oil makes any difference, just have enough.
The only engine failure (spun a crank bearing) I've had was because I was pushing very hard and was down a quart or two.
Hmm not exactly, pressure/heat related. Meaning the pressure from the crank wasn't being released properly. The breather system on my bike wasn't working properly, partly my own fault for not maintaining correctly or knowing enough how important it was. So the pressure built up to a point causing a lot of extra heat, and this heat was too much for the cylinder. Then it seized.

I would say more oil changes the better for bearing life.

The lubricating stock of the oil never "wears" out, it gets recycled again and again and again... but that lube stock only makes up about 70% of the volume in the bottle.
The other 30% is friction modifiers, antifoam, " last chance" lubricators (ZDDP, Boron, sulfur) that DO wear out or evaporate.
... and eventually the filter clogs up and "by passes" so it does nothing

CT currently has Rotella T6 5w40 on sale in large bucket size. Regular price &199.99, sale price $169.99.

Last edited:
I’ve used the Mobil1 M108 automotive oil filter on my bikes for as long as I can remember. It’s a direct replacement for 90% of Japanese spin on bike filters. You can use the M110 if you have room, it’s about 1/2” longer. Both readily available at Canadian Tire.

CT currently has Rotella T6 5w40 on sale in large bucket size. Regular price &199.99, sale price $169.99.

I use T4 in everything… lawn mower, wood chipper, pickup, cars, (except an 1.4t chev that asks for T6) and my boat, ATVs and bikes. O&F once a year or 7500 km, whatever comes first.

Can’t recall a lube related failure in 30 years.

I use T4 in everything… lawn mower, wood chipper, pickup, cars, (except an 1.4t chev that asks for T6) and my boat, ATVs and bikes. O&F once a year or 7500 km, whatever comes first.

Can’t recall a lube related failure in 30 years.
is there a cleaner way to pump or get them into smaller jugs for easier pouring?

is there a cleaner way to pump or get them into smaller jugs for easier pouring?
Yes. I transfer my 20l pails into empty oil or windshield washer jugs.

Then I use the empty 20l pail for waste oil.

Wait for this to go on sale:
images

Then pump into something like this if you need more precision:
images

Or Canadian Tire has a 2L version:

Last edited:
This is for maple syrup but the concept still applies. I use it.

That's lazy!

A 20l pail of oil weighs about 18kg, I just put 4 jugs on the floor, pick up the pail and pour.

Back
Top Bottom