OFTR trail riders - what do you ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

OFTR trail riders - what do you ride?

MarcoL

I'm hoping to get a feel for what is a common bike seen on the oftr trails. What is an appropriate bike for someone who's been riding for 10+ years, but is a novice in the dirt?

Ive been doing some research and feel like I'm spinning my wheels on this.

I'm looking to downsize from an adv bike to a something lighter. The long haul trips the adv bike is capable of no longer sound attractive to me. Just want to spend an afternoon riding around a forest every once in a while.

So I'm looking at a dualsport or an Enduro from one of the Japanese brands and trying to weigh the pros/cons against each other.

Where I live, both bikes would have to be towed up to a trail. No way I'm riding 2 hours on the highway on a 300cc. My rear end couldn't do it.

The dual sport
Pros
- cheap to buy (new)
- reliable but weak engine
- can ride it around my neighborhood if the mood strikes

Cons
- lower spec suspension components
- higher insurance (compared to the off road only Enduro)

Enduro
Pros
- a more focused machine. Higher spec suspension
- cheaper to insure, offroad only insurance

Cons
- can't ride it in my neighborhood
- reliability? / Maintenance, top end rebuilds, bottom end rebuilds. Maintenance based on hours running would be all new to me.

Basically, do many people ride cheap dual sports on the trails? Am I overestimating the novice trails or underestimating the dual sports?
Is maintenance for the Enduro not that bad or expensive (rebuilds)?

Thanks for reading

I'm hoping to get a feel for what is a common bike seen on the oftr trails. What is an appropriate bike for someone who's been riding for 10+ years, but is a novice in the dirt?

Ive been doing some research and feel like I'm spinning my wheels on this.

I'm looking to downsize from an adv bike to a something lighter. The long haul trips the adv bike is capable of no longer sound attractive to me. Just want to spend an afternoon riding around a forest every once in a while.

So I'm looking at a dualsport or an Enduro from one of the Japanese brands and trying to weigh the pros/cons against each other.

Where I live, both bikes would have to be towed up to a trail. No way I'm riding 2 hours on the highway on a 300cc. My rear end couldn't do it.

The dual sport
Pros
- cheap to buy (new)
- reliable but weak engine
- can ride it around my neighborhood if the mood strikes

Cons
- lower spec suspension components
- higher insurance (compared to the off road only Enduro)

Enduro
Pros
- a more focused machine. Higher spec suspension
- cheaper to insure, offroad only insurance

Cons
- can't ride it in my neighborhood
- reliability? / Maintenance, top end rebuilds, bottom end rebuilds. Maintenance based on hours running would be all new to me.

Basically, do many people ride cheap dual sports on the trails? Am I overestimating the novice trails or underestimating the dual sports?
Is maintenance for the Enduro not that bad or expensive (rebuilds)?

Thanks for reading
First you may want to zero in on what type of riding experience you are looking for, that will go a long way in defining the bike.

You say you’re a dirt novice. Is your goal to build the skills to run with run competitive riders or just become proficient enough to enjoy some casual rides through the woods?

Are you thinking single track or bigger trails? Dual sport is normally much much heavier than a proper dirt bike.

How are you planning on getting to trails? Dual sport makes access easy. Dirt bike legally requires a truck/trailer for almost everybody. Around me trails have a lot of dirt bikes and riders just take it easy on roads to access trails. Not legal but normally tolerated.

If you want to explore instead of blasting around, something like a 250f has a lazy motor so maintenance is much lower than its high strung siblings. You may get bored of it quickly though. It's pretty cheap but suspension and motor are uninspiring.

If it's a 2 hr. trip to the trails, and that's your focus then skip the dual sport and go straight to off road.

Personally, I wouldn't exclude the Euro bikes because they are as reliable as comparable japanese off roaders, but definitely have a higher performance level and better suspension/components.

I don't think there is any point in getting a japanese dual sport 300, registering it as off road only and trucking it to the trails. You will become unsatisfied pretty quickly and will have spent extra money for inferior performance. Aside that, you'd NEED to change the tires and lower the gearing.

I'd buy used, and with your level of riding experience I'd look for a Yamaha YZ250X 2 stroke or a WR250FX 4 stroke or the Honda CRF250X - the one with the headlight. If you want something a bit more sedate, the recent CRF250F(?) or the KLX300 would do.

But like I said earlier, I wouldn't ignore the Euro bikes, even older ones. A KTM 200 makes a fine, exceptionally reliable off road bike as does the 250 & 300EXC (all 2 strokes), and can be found for reasonable prices.

Thanks guys! Casual is definitely the name of the game for me. Not looking to get to a competitive level.

That's primarily why I'm still considering a street legal bike at the moment. So I can take it out for a spin and take a break from things. Hearing that the euro bikes can be just as reliable as the Japanese bikes definitely makes things more interesting. Even with a blue plate dual sport. I would still trailer it to the oftr trails.

I was given some advice to check out trail tours and ride a Honda thru the ganny. I feel like that's my best bet to answer back if I'm looking for single track trails or bigger. I gotta try it before I pick what's right for me.

Might want to consider a street-legal enduro with a set of supermoto wheels for street.

Something like a EXC 350 or FE 350. Maintenance is a little more frequent with the oil changes measured in hours, but you're getting a really good base to build your off-road skills on, and if you want to ride on the street you can switch out your wheels and save your knobbies.

I've got an EXC 500 and it makes for a great light ADV bike. Owners manual states 15 hour oil changes, but I stretch it to 25-30 hours since I'm not really racing and the oil still looks pretty good coming out of the crankcase. The 500 is great for open stretches and dual track, it can do single track, but you're more likely to get throttle fatigue unless you change the gearing. 350cc four stroke is a happy medium.

You mention Japanese dirt bike,the only ones I would consider is a YZ250/YZ250x or YZ250fx.For me the Honda and Kawasaki 300s are to soft in suspension and underpowered if you want to keep a decent pace in the woods.You say you have street experience so throttle control should be no problem on the YZ.

I ride almost every weekend between SCCORA and the Ganaraska, with over 10 years of experience in the woods. I ride a 300 two-stroke.

Maintenance:
You won’t need major maintenance unless you’re riding hard. Besides oil changes and replacing worn tires and sprockets, there’s not much to do. Two-stroke top ends typically last 80-120 hours. If you ride about 5-10 hours a month, that’s only 25-35 hours a year—meaning your bike should last several years without major work. Maintenance manuals are written for racers seeking maximum performance; for example, Honda suggests changing the piston every 10 hours on their motocross bikes.

Bike Selection:
For dual track (ATV) and fire lanes, a Honda 230 or Kawasaki 300 will suffice. However, these bikes are too heavy and lack the suspension for single-track riding. As your skills improve, smaller bikes become less fun.

Two-Stroke (2T) Bikes:
For dedicated off-road riding, consider the Yamaha 250FX or a European 300cc bike. European models often have oil injection, so no mixing is required.

Four-Stroke Bikes:
There’s a wide selection from Honda, Yamaha, and European brands.

Trail Tours:
Yes, it’s worth spending a day on a trail tour.

European Bikes:
At any OFTR trail parking lot, you’ll see 95% European bikes like Beta, KTM, Husky, and GasGas, mostly ridden by non-racers and older riders. Kids typically prefer motocross tracks. There’s a reason why KTM, Husky, and GasGas are industry leaders.

I considered a yz250x, but kick starting the bike on the side of a hill sucks...

300 ktm or husky, '17+ has the counterbalancer. Earlier ones shake alot, and vibrate your hands off...

I have a wr250r/x for dual sport duty. Indestructible. Capable enough in the right hands, but it weighs in at 304 lbs full of fuel...

My '17 husky te300 is 245 lbs? Haven't weighed it, but thats likely close. Feels like a bicycle in comparison.

I definitely work alot harder on the wr..., but it has its uses.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

This is the solution to all your questions. The Corduroy Enduro® – The Corduroy Enduro® …Canada’s Toughest Race!!

All the manufacturers show up and offer demo rides for all the bikes mentioned. You can try everything from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Beta, Husky, GasGas and even Harley-Davidson. Just show up and try each bike. However, go to Trail Tours first and make sure you really want to ride off-road and single-track trails.

This is the solution to all your questions. The Corduroy Enduro – The Corduroy Enduro …Canada’s Toughest Race!!

All the manufacturers show up and offer demo rides for all the bikes mentioned. You can try everything from Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, Beta, Husky, GasGas and even Harley-Davidson. Just show up and try each bike. However, go to Trail Tours first and make sure you really want to ride off-road and single-track trails.
Get there early. Do the Friday. Long lineups otherwise...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I ride almost every weekend between SCCORA and the Ganaraska, with over 10 years of experience in the woods. I ride a 300 two-stroke.

Maintenance:
You won’t need major maintenance unless you’re riding hard. Besides oil changes and replacing worn tires and sprockets, there’s not much to do. Two-stroke top ends typically last 80-120 hours. If you ride about 5-10 hours a month, that’s only 25-35 hours a year—meaning your bike should last several years without major work. Maintenance manuals are written for racers seeking maximum performance; for example, Honda suggests changing the piston every 10 hours on their motocross bikes.

Bike Selection:
For dual track (ATV) and fire lanes, a Honda 230 or Kawasaki 300 will suffice. However, these bikes are too heavy and lack the suspension for single-track riding. As your skills improve, smaller bikes become less fun.

Two-Stroke (2T) Bikes:
For dedicated off-road riding, consider the Yamaha 250FX or a European 300cc bike. European models often have oil injection, so no mixing is required.

Four-Stroke Bikes:
There’s a wide selection from Honda, Yamaha, and European brands.

Trail Tours:
Yes, it’s worth spending a day on a trail tour.

European Bikes:
At any OFTR trail parking lot, you’ll see 95% European bikes like Beta, KTM, Husky, and GasGas, mostly ridden by non-racers and older riders. Kids typically prefer motocross tracks. There’s a reason why KTM, Husky, and GasGas are industry leaders.
I appreciate such a detailed break down! That answers a ton of my questions, especially regarding maintenance. I'm coming around to the euro bikes. I've got a KTM/gas gas dealership not 5 minutes away from my house. Thinking a 2t 250 xcw

I plan to do the trail tours before this season is out. But I'll be selling my adv bike in the 2025 spring and going from there.

I appreciate such a detailed break down! That answers a ton of my questions, especially regarding maintenance. I'm coming around to the euro bikes. I've got a KTM/gas gas dealership not 5 minutes away from my house. Thinking a 2t 250 xcw

I plan to do the trail tours before this season is out. But I'll be selling my adv bike in the 2025 spring and going from there.
Im also selling my 890adv next year and probably getting another 150 Ktm or Husqvarna or maybe a 300 again.But the 150 was tons of fun.

KTM 250 and 300 make the same peak HP, the 300 just makes it lower. Some prefer the 250 saying it’s a bit more quicker revving so more playful, others prefer the more tractor-like 300. I prefer the 300.
My friends with modern (2017+) KTM/Husky/Gas 2T’s are doing topends in the 200-300hr range. Many of them winter in Arizona and put on 150+hrs a year and they EI we take their bike with them or have an identical bike down there. They have money to do them earlier but have found it’s not necessary.
I’ve had zero issues on my 2018 and I bought it new in 17. Not one mechanical failure other than a $2 carb o-ring but I consider that a consumable. Not even a loose spoke, and it gets ridden hard. Just gas/oil/tires.
One other thing to consider is perceived weight. A 250WR/FX or equivalent 4T may be fairly close to a 250/300 2T but the because of the moving mass in the engine the 2T will feel like a mountain bike in comparison.
I’ve had both, I’ll never sell my 300.

Last edited:

It does make sense with a dealer that close.

I'm with Hardwrkr13 though when it comes to 250 vs. 300. The 300 is easier to ride, whether slowly or fast. It always has enough power available, and can be lugged.

You need to get out and try some bikes, maybe after doing trailtours. A Honda 230F feels fun for about a day, 4 stroke engines can be easier to handle, 2 strokes way more fun to turn. Your journey will not be easy, but it will be an adventure. Started like you wanting a dual sport, we got a 450 and 310 Husky blue plated, had a lot of fun and could trailer and/or ride anywhere. Rolling down main street Hunstsville in near competition enduro bikes after popping out of the woods is cool. But 4 strokes make lots of heat, are heavy, have tractor torque and engine braking to help you and the more you turn the more you are reminded of how heavy (but you can go on any road), so think KTM350.
Then try a 2 stroke, dropping 40 - 50 pounds and engine inertia gives you something that turns fast, accelerates like you stole it and makes a cool sound. So I got a YZ250, fixed it up for woods (so it takes time to get them right), then my wife stole it and told me to get another one.
We are 60ish and she loves her YZ and kicking is never an issue. Husky's were ridden once this year (before the forests opened).
Then I got a 150 bored to 165 Husky and it cuts woods faster than a chainsaw.

We wanted a DS way back at the start, so little did I know.

Back
Top Bottom