New Yamaha R9 Released! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha R9 Released!

Yeah, but then you'd have to own a Suzuki...

The R9 will inherit the space that the R6 currently occupies. The dyno comparing the CP3 with a 600cc is very favourable towards the CP3:

A site or app that takes arbitrary dyno graphs and scales/overlays them together properly would be really nice. I couldn't find a direct dyno comparison of the CP3 against a GSX-R 750, but you can check the HP numbers at a couple of RPM points between the MT-09 graph and the GSX-R 750 graph to get an idea:
750cc-dyno-horsepower-jpg.61547

The point I picked at random was 8000 rpm:
- almost 100hp for the MT-09 @ 8000 rpm
- less than 70hp for the GSX-R 750 @ 8000 rpm?

Dyno images were grabbed at random from the web, so there's even less guarantee of accuracy than usual. Norton Motorsports has a great article on the pitfalls of looking at random dyno charts.
Oh yeah that motor should spin up faster and build power earlier. R9 gonna get run in the top but that's expected vs a race tuned bike.

Yeah, but then you'd have to own a Suzuki...

The R9 will inherit the space that the R6 currently occupies. The dyno comparing the CP3 with a 600cc is very favourable towards the CP3:

A site or app that takes arbitrary dyno graphs and scales/overlays them together properly would be really nice. I couldn't find a direct dyno comparison of the CP3 against a GSX-R 750, but you can check the HP numbers at a couple of RPM points between the MT-09 graph and the GSX-R 750 graph to get an idea:
750cc-dyno-horsepower-jpg.61547

The point I picked at random was 8000 rpm:
- almost 100hp for the MT-09 @ 8000 rpm
- less than 70hp for the GSX-R 750 @ 8000 rpm?

Dyno images were grabbed at random from the web, so there's even less guarantee of accuracy than usual. Norton Motorsports has a great article on the pitfalls of looking at random dyno charts.
Interesting. Looking at the first graph, If you gave the r9 longer gearing than the Suzuki (about 50%), the torque and power at the wheel look to be roughly similar. With similar gearing they will behave much differently.

The thing is, that extra 20%+ RPM range of the 600 at similar power output (at the wheel) would mean you could gear the 600 20% steeper, and that translates to a similar amount more torque (20% more torque) delivered to the tire at the same road speed. There's more to acceleration than just a dyno graph can relate. The old adage repeats: "if you're going to make competitive power, it's better to make it at high RPMs so that you can take advantage of gearing." I'm not saying that the 600 will make up the difference, just that it's better than what you might think at first glance.

I don't see a scenario in which the GSX-R 750 doesn't win this fight.

EDIT: I'm expanding on what GreyGhost was saying, it seems.

Yup. Lies, damned lies, statistics, and horsepower numbers, as they say.

When Graves published the dyno graph for an unrestricted ZX4R I went to the trouble of overlaying it on the dyno graph of an MT-07 in good old MSPaint for fun. Same peak horsepower, same wet weight between those two bikes. It ended up looking a lot like the MT-09 + GSX-R 600 graph, but I'm very curious how they feel in real life. @Evoex have you derestricted your ZX4R and ridden any of the CP2 bikes?

When Graves published the dyno graph for an unrestricted ZX4R I went to the trouble of overlaying it on the dyno graph of an MT-07 in good old MSPaint for fun. Same peak horsepower, same wet weight between those two bikes. It ended up looking a lot like the MT-09 + GSX-R 600 graph, but I'm very curious how they feel in real life. @Evoex have you derestricted your ZX4R and ridden any of the CP2 bikes?
Rode an FZ07 a lonnnnng time ago, can barely remember anything about it.

ZX4R has full Graves system and ecu flash. Should be making about 77hp and it's under 400lbs now.

I was convinced in upgrading my Yamaha R3 to a pre-owned 600cc sport bike. I was looking at a 2011 gsx-r 600 with 26k km’s at 6K.

Now I see this and I am very tempted. But is the extra 12,000 dollars worth it?

My biggest fear is if buy the R9 I would be super attached and I wont ride it to have the fun I would with a pre owned 600.

Any thoughts from those who rode 600 CC’s or have more experience than I do? They (600’s) have about as much HP as this would have.
Get the 600. 12 large is a lot of gas and hotel rooms.....

Rode an FZ07 a lonnnnng time ago, can barely remember anything about it.

ZX4R has full Graves system and ecu flash. Should be making about 77hp and it's under 400lbs now.
I love small displacement bikes— always wanted a 250Fizzer. The ZXR4 interests me.

You have to appreciate the machine to own one. No matter how much uncorking you do, 77hp with a teaspoon of torque makes it hard work to keep up with a pedestrian Vstrom.

I love small displacement bikes— always wanted a 250Fizzer. The ZXR4 interests me.

You have to appreciate the machine to own one. No matter how much uncorking you do, a pedestrian Vstrom with a similar skilled rider is gonna make keeping up hard work.
youre welcome to take a closer look anytime. you have my number

I feel like this is the way forward for sporting street bikes. 150+ hp is totally useless on the road except for bragging rights, but 100-120 is a real sweet spot, especially if combined with light weight. Gutsy enough to give a real sense of speed, but not so much that it's into silly speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd. This and an RS660 could have some real fun battles.

Have you ever rode a 150 hp sport tour bike in the mountains?.....sheer bliss i say...minimal shifting, just throttle and go 😁

185hp/105tq even better. :D Just about right, in my opinion. Leave traction control on. ;)

That said one of the best times I had at Deal's Gap was on a CBR 250RR. 18K redline, I seem to remember... but it was panting for breath at that point. That bike fit into those corners like a hand in glove.

185hp/105tq even better. :D Just about right, in my opinion. Leave traction control on. ;)

That said one of the best times I had at Deal's Gap was on a CBR 250RR. 18K redline, I seem to remember... but it was panting for breath at that point. That bike fit into those corners like a hand in glove.
not recently i assume? i know someone who still has one...not sure we know the same people 😁

not recently i assume? i know someone who still has one...not sure we know the same people 😁
This bike is owned by a fellow in Texas, so probably not.

So the R7 was supposed to replace the R6 and this replaces the R1? Although I still see the R1 on Yamaha's site so maybe not?

I'd like to see a slightly smaller/lighter FJR with this motor. With side cases and a tail rack, but still sporty looking.

Kinda. In Europe, in the street-bike lineup, yes. Here in North America, we don't have to contend with the Euro 5+ emission standards (our motorcycle emission standards haven't been updated for decades) so they can carry on selling the continuations of the R1 (and R6) here, if they want to.

Keep in mind that Yamaha is in the business of selling street motorcycles. Roadracing is only a development and promotional activity, and track days are a niche market (Yamaha is continuing to sell the R1 and R6 in Europe as track-only models). For street bikes, in today's world of congestion and speed cameras and substandard infrastructure, the development of the R1 and R6 became so focused on improving them for roadracing (and track-day) activities that they became a combination of terrible and irrelevant as street bikes - and sales numbers followed.

The R7 and R9 with their engines shared with a multitude of other models, are less expensive to develop, less expensive to homologate (to the emissions regulators, all the varieties of the MT07 are the same bike and all the varieties of the MT09 are the same bike), and less expensive to manufacture (lower parts count, fewer parts made with exotic materials or tolerances), and the mechanical parts aren't going to be made obsolete every two years. In the race to reach the 90 km/h speed-limit on two-lane roads ... I am thinking an R7 is just as good as an R6. Maybe better. It's surely easier to ride in traffic.

If I had to replace my fleet of street bikes with one, up until yesterday it would have been an R7. Now, it would be an R9. I like them both.

Re sport-touring bikes, I hired a Yamaha Tracer 7 with side-bags and top-case in England a couple months ago and put about 1200 miles on it. It's a little too ADV-leaning for my liking, but for sport touring, it worked for what I wanted it to do. The Tracer 9 GT is supposed to be really good. (All of the CP2 and CP3 bikes thus far have been good!)

@basmn

I had over 150 hp in the mountains for years and years. Lived in BC from 2005 to 2019, owned a ZX-14, ZX-10R and Tuono in that time. The power is nice, but often overkill, especially as we would ride The Pace approach. Main riding buddies were a 999 (122 hp claimed) and Daytona 675R (128 hp claimed). Neither was slower than me through the corners, typically faster, and the only difference the extra power made was I had to shift a bit less and could lug it in a higher gear if I wanted. *By far* the slowest bike on those rides was the ZX-14 because she was a big girl and didn't like being hustled back and forth. Sure, I could (and would) use the power to squirt back onto their wheels in the straights, but that's basically cheating. I was faster on the Tuono than the ZX-10R because I piled a bunch of cash into upgrading the suspension with full K-Tech front and rear, not because it made more power...

Back
Top Bottom