New Yamaha R9 Released! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha R9 Released!

42Seb

Ride42 Trackdays
Site Supporter
Well, it is official! The new 2025 Yamaha R9 got unveiled today. I had a MT09 street bike for a while and loved the motor on it, wishing it would make its way to a supersport someday. Looks like that day has come!

It uses the same CP3 motor that Yamaha has been using in the FZ/MT09, XSR900, FJ09 Tracer and Niken. Disappointingly, it does not appear to be modified in any way to produce more hp than it did previously. I was hoping for some improved internals and increased rev limit for some more power to be competitive against the new bikes in the newly re-defined supersport class. That being said, it still puts out a respectable 117hp in Euro5 configuration which should be higher once restrictions are removed. This engine also really shines in the way it puts power down; much more torque than traditional inline 4 engine and it sounds AMAZING!

One concern I had is that they would just slap the CP3 motor into a budget frame, put on budget components and call it a day - in essence what they did with the R7. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like the R9 gets it's own dedicated supersport frame (with separately bolted subframe). It also looks like it shares many components with the R1 including the IMU and electronics package. Quickshifter, autoblipper, anti-wheelie etc. all from the R1. Front suspension looks to be same as R6/R1 as well and it comes equipped with Brembo calipers & master cylinder. Dash also has a "virtual pitboard" - wonder what that is... They have a picture of a rider presumably looking at lap data on a tablet; so it's likely to have the R1 CCU which gives extensive telemetry.

So, what are your thoughts? Good street bike? Good trackday bike? Does it have potential for going up against the new supersport class? Let's discuss!

You can read more about the bike here: 2025 Yamaha YZF-R9 first look: A street-friendly, track-ready supersport? - RevZilla

It is also up on Yamaha Canada site here: https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/road/motorcycle/supersport/2025-yzf-r9/2025-YZFR9AS

cover.png
2.png
4.png
forks.jpg
forks2.jpg
frame.jpg

It exceeds my expectations. I don't like the integrated winglets, but there has to be something wrong with it so I'll take that. I am genuinely surprised that they gave it a unique frame

I like it a lot. Wings are silly, but underseat exhausts were also kind of silly in the early-'00s, so the wings will similarly become a marker of the era.

I feel like this is the way forward for sporting street bikes. 150+ hp is totally useless on the road except for bragging rights, but 100-120 is a real sweet spot, especially if combined with light weight. Gutsy enough to give a real sense of speed, but not so much that it's into silly speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd. This and an RS660 could have some real fun battles.

Glad they didn't make it a parts bin special, too. Curious how it'll sell. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic...

but 100-120 is a real sweet spot, especially if combined with light weight. Gutsy enough to give a real sense of speed, but not so much that it's into silly speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
ZX4R has entered the chat.

ZX4R has entered the chat.
Yes, to a point, but wringing the neck of a 400 everywhere is a lot of work and sometimes requires more commitment than you want as an only bike.

Most of us have to ride some distance to get to the twisties (even in BC, it was over an hour and a half of highway riding each way to get to the Sunshine Coast), and don't always want to ride 10/10ths. A 400 is cool, but awful droning on the highway. The R9 (and RS660) can do all the boring stuff much better, while still being a lot of fun in the good stuff, allowing for a few gear changes and some WOT moments coming out of corners. You can still short-shift and lug along if you don't want to be screaming everywhere, too.

As for a track bike, well, that's a different story. If I was a smaller guy, I'd 100% have a 400 rather than a big v-twin. Sadly, I need all the torque I can get...

Yes, to a point, but wringing the neck of a 400 everywhere is a lot of work and sometimes requires more commitment than you want as an only bike.

Most of us have to ride some distance to get to the twisties (even in BC, it was over an hour and a half of highway riding each way to get to the Sunshine Coast), and don't always want to ride 10/10ths. A 400 is cool, but awful droning on the highway. The R9 (and RS660) can do all the boring stuff much better, while still being a lot of fun in the good stuff, allowing for a few gear changes and some WOT moments coming out of corners. You can still short-shift and lug along if you don't want to be screaming everywhere, too.

As for a track bike, well, that's a different story. If I was a smaller guy, I'd 100% have a 400 rather than a big v-twin. Sadly, I need all the torque I can get...
I'd have to see the tune/gearing on the R9, but my FZ09 pretty much never needed to be wrung above 6.5k the torque was a monster. IIRC the R9 spec sheet seems to show a lower number then I remember the FZ09 having. Curious.

I was convinced in upgrading my Yamaha R3 to a pre-owned 600cc sport bike. I was looking at a 2011 gsx-r 600 with 26k km’s at 6K.

Now I see this and I am very tempted. But is the extra 12,000 dollars worth it?

My biggest fear is if buy the R9 I would be super attached and I wont ride it to have the fun I would with a pre owned 600.

Any thoughts from those who rode 600 CC’s or have more experience than I do? They (600’s) have about as much HP as this would have.

I was convinced in upgrading my Yamaha R3 to a pre-owned 600cc sport bike. I was looking at a 2011 gsx-r 600 with 26k km’s at 6K.

My biggest fear is if buy the R9 I would be super attached and I wont ride it to have the fun I would with a pre owned 600.

Any thoughts from those who rode 600 CC’s or have more experience than I do? They (600’s) have about as much HP as this would have.
This is far more street friendly, far more usable performance. 600 supersports are race bikes with lights and mirrors.

Is it $12k more fun? only you can decide what something is worth to you.

I own a ZX4R now which is a 400CC inline 4, it's about twice the price of a Ninja 400. However, it puts a smile on my face in a way that the plethora of litre bikes I owned could not.

So the R7 was supposed to replace the R6 and this replaces the R1? Although I still see the R1 on Yamaha's site so maybe not?

I'd like to see a slightly smaller/lighter FJR with this motor. With side cases and a tail rack, but still sporty looking.

Apparently there will be at least one more R1. They sold a fair amount of the last generation but the performance of their competitors have really left them in the dust. To be honest, I found the latest gen R1 to be compact and pretty easy to ride at a 7/10ths pace which is all I'd want one for so it wouldn't matter (and I'm not riding one because naked superbikes are just better on the road in my opinion)

Not my image and peak stats don't tell the whole story. Glad to see them bringing new bikes to market. Peak stats are underwhelming.

462676332_122145554522324223_1523017662509419372_n.jpg

Consider a pre owned GSXR 750.
Thank me later.

Not my image and peak stats don't tell the whole story. Glad to see them bringing new bikes to market. Peak stats are underwhelming.

Yeah, but then you'd have to own a Suzuki...

The R9 will inherit the space that the R6 currently occupies. The dyno comparing the CP3 with a 600cc is very favourable towards the CP3:

A site or app that takes arbitrary dyno graphs and scales/overlays them together properly would be really nice. I couldn't find a direct dyno comparison of the CP3 against a GSX-R 750, but you can check the HP numbers at a couple of RPM points between the MT-09 graph and the GSX-R 750 graph to get an idea:
750cc-dyno-horsepower-jpg.61547

The point I picked at random was 8000 rpm:
- almost 100hp for the MT-09 @ 8000 rpm
- less than 70hp for the GSX-R 750 @ 8000 rpm?

Dyno images were grabbed at random from the web, so there's even less guarantee of accuracy than usual. Norton Motorsports has a great article on the pitfalls of looking at random dyno charts.

Back
Top Bottom