Need a boot recommendation! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a boot recommendation!

special_k_828

Hey GTAers,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a good street riding boot. I currently wear Icon Superduty 4's. I like them because I commute to work with my bike and the Superduty's look casual enough and are comfortable enough that I do not have to pack a pair of work shoes. They do not seem, however, as protective as some of the other higher end street riding models as they end just above the ankles. Any recommendations on a pair of more protective boots but will look decent under khakis?

I travel around for work so I can't just leave a pair of shoes at the office.

Cheers,
K

BMW Allround boots are plain, not spacemanish, goretex, leather and comfy. I wear mine every day in riding season.

Okay I just want to say, and it's not really off-topic, that I see a lot of guys riding with pi$$-poor footwear every summer.
So in answer to
Need a boot recommendation!
I was going to say "Yes, do." Please do!

What it is, is that in July it's gonna be 40 degrees, and everyone will be cooking, and ATGATT is gonna be tough.
And riders are going to wear running shoes.
Which is okay - as long as they are high-tops!
It's simple; you need a stout lace-on (or otherwise fastened) shoe that covers your ankle-points. Right?
So get high-tops.

But sure, genuine Riding Boots are going to be better...
I find there are the Hiking Boot lookalike styles; and the Euro 'racetrack' style (and of course there's all kinds of Harley-guy stuff).
But I prefer the dark-coloured everyday shoe style myself, where you have to look close to see it's motorcycle.
I wear 'Shift' streetboots but they don't make them anymore...
Icon has some great stuff, and of course AlpineStar too.

Won't be long now, guys (can't wait!)

Good footwear is very important. I've had collisions with road debris that would have done a bit of damage to my foot/shin if I wasn't wearing good boots....slips on rough surfaces that would have turned out a lot worse if I didn't have grippy/oil resistant soles. Not to mention my boots are designed to fit under shift linkages so I don't have to angle my foot at some unnatural degree to shift the bike. My Goretex boots have made my feet the most comfortable and dry parts of my body on some rides too. With my first set of gear my boots were the most expensive out of all my kit and they lasted me. I still wear them but have just bought another pair of goretex boots (TCX air) so I can stretch them into use a little more. I'm no ATGATT nazi but there's a really good reason why people pass on advice I've found. If a lot of people tell you something, you should listen.

I've got Icon 1000 Elsinore boots, they appear to have decent protection, and they look cool.

I rode my first season with crap payless boots -- Just ordered Supertech Rs from GP Bikes and am picking them up this weekend. Definitely more boot than the OP is after, but I only plan on using them on bike (or off getting gas, coffee, whatever quick), and the all-black do look ok to me, if you pull jeans overtop.

I got myself a pair of the Dainese Scarpa Dynos:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-scarpa-dyno

I was initially going to go for the A* Smx-1.. but after going and checking both of them out, the Daineses are WAAAAAAAAYYY better and have 500% more protection. I could bend the A*'s completely and twist them around, they have no solid ankle protection unlike the Dainese's which are completely solid and unmovable.

The Daineses are the biggest performing/best protection "3/4 shoe" out there by a LONG shot.. that is if you're looking for something that isn't a full boot.

BMW Allround boots are plain, not spacemanish, goretex, leather and comfy. I wear mine every day in riding season.

I'm on my second pair of BMW boots and they are great.If you go to the Canadian Superbike Series race weekend at Mosport, BMW has a tent where they sell off their last years stock at killer prices.I didn't really need a new pair of boots but at $150 for a $400 pair of boots I couldn't pass them up.I think they are made by TCX ,I've had both and they are almost identical.BMW gear is first rate , once you've owned it you will never go back to Joe Rocket crap.

I started out in 2010 with the Icon Field Armor boots, but after a while I realized they were a bit too bulky and heavy, and were also causing me some back/foot pain as well as fatigue.

Switched in 2011 to a pair of Alpinestars Web Goretex, and they've lasted me the past 2 years (I ride year-round, so I do mean years.) Great boots for street/touring type riding, especially if you ride in wet/cold conditions. The Icons soaked through every time it rained, but my A* boots keep my feet quite comfy, warm and dry. The only thing showing any signs of wear on mine is the sole, and that's because I've basically worn them every single day, all day, including at work. When I eventually decide to replace them, it'll be with another pair of the same boots.

I've looked at other boots, but don't care much for the "sporty" look, and need something I can get away with wearing at work. The only thing I'd probably say about the Webs, is they probably wouldn't offer quite as much protection as some of the sport-style boots in a bad crash -- but I still have faith in them.

I ride with a pair of Dainese Nighthawks. I think they might be what you're looking for. Good protection, IMO, but look good with jeans etc.

Looking for boots as well and have found that GP bikes has great online prices with free shipping. I'm in London (= useless for bike gear) but will be in the GTA next weekend. Anyone know of a shop with good selection that matches online prices?

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys. Really liking the look of the A*'s and the Nighthawks. I'll see if they are in any of the local shops.

Looking for boots as well and have found that GP bikes has great online prices with free shipping. I'm in London (= useless for bike gear) but will be in the GTA next weekend. Anyone know of a shop with good selection that matches online prices?

Crazy Als bike leathers.com in London just had a flash 50% off sale. I ordered a bunch of stuff from them including my TCX boots.

Hey did you ever find a steel toe pair of motorcycle boots? I need Steel toe for work and would like to invest in something for my bike. I guess for my purposes it would need to be the CSA approved ones.

Thanks for any info!

I wanted a multi purpose boot. I found that townshoes had Columbia boots on sale for $99 plus an extra 20% off. I decided to give it a try.

http://www.townshoes.com/mens-shoes/boots-winter/
(top 3 Columbia pairs)

I used the boots to ride from Tampa, Florida to Toronto this past weekend. From riding in torrential rain for 2 plus hours to -6 degree weather (wore layered socks to keep warm), the boots protected from water and kept warm.

I kind of wish I put a boot skin on it, but oh well. Maybe I can clean the toe and buy one. Anyone know where I can get a boot skin? how much?

Back
Top Bottom