Maxi-scooter anyone? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Maxi-scooter anyone?

Nostalgia is nice. But why spend $5700 on an ancient design when a modern 2023 crf 125 can be bought for $900 less?

I (and many other here and most insurance companies) will strongly recommend a safety course
This is done 🥳🥳🥳 It was a fun weekend with almost sub-zero temps, but was fun!!

Give Chris a call tell him MacDoc sent you.
Thanks, @MacDoc. Spoke with Chris. It was very informative. I was advised a few things which I'm keeping in mind while planning the logistics et al. I'm not so worried about higher insurance costs in the first year as I have planned for it.

I often commute on a 2007 Burgman 400
How is it? I was able to have a look at the same model- red and silver colour, well maintained with a few scratches and 36k on the odo, a givi. screen for highway speeds and a back carriage; from a listing on Kijiji (for around 4k), but I didn't get to drive it. From my limited experience, I felt the CVT engines are generally ok and very durable- should I still do a test drive?

I also saw the last unsold 2015 Kymco MyRoad 700i selling for around 8K + taxes- it looked great :D. I read that there's some electronic speed control for highway speeds but can't find true use examples or reviews anywhere.

I couldn't check out the newer Burgman 400 or the Xmax 300 as the dealer was closed for easter. BMW was going way beyond budget, so dropping the C 400 completely.

Now I'm just wondering if I should go with the 2007 Burgman or the 2015 Kymco. Thoughts? Advice? Anyone?

How is it? I was able to have a look at the same model- red and silver colour, well maintained with a few scratches and 36k on the odo, a givi. screen for highway speeds and a back carriage; from a listing on Kijiji (for around 4k), but I didn't get to drive it. From my limited experience, I felt the CVT engines are generally ok and very durable- should I still do a test drive?

At risk of getting all, "as per my previous email," what I wrote before still stands:

The 400 handles the highway here fine, though it's getting close to the comfort limit at times for me. The issue isn't top speed, but rather acceleration, which I use as a defensive tool on my motorcycle. You simply can't zip out of the way on a scooter like you can on a bike. The 400 is enough, but I'm not sure how a 300 would do. I actually took the 300cc models off my list for that reason.
Things I like: cheap on gas and insurance, can use HOV lanes, fun, excellent storage, twist-and-go is nice in traffic. Things I don't like: mine has lots of wind noise at speeds over 110 km/h despite an adjustable Givi windscreen, slow acceleration compared to a 'real' motorcycle, clutch doesn't like being dragged at speeds common in stop-and-go.

I ended up on a minty 2007 Burgman 400 with about 7000km on the odometer for ~$3500. It's only missing ABS, though that has pros and cons of it's own. I've replaced the belt purely for peace of mind considering the age, and then swapped the sliders for lower revs and slightly higher top speed (probably wouldn't do it again as acceleration has suffered slightly). Otherwise, it's just been basic maintenance.

Not much more to add, I think, Having pulled some of the body off to do the belt work, I did see the start of some mild rust spots on where the gas tank halves are welded/pressed together, but it's just a few tiny spots and easily halted. Otherwise, a few bodywork screws needed replaced because of rust, but that's standard for Suzuki. The important bits are fine.

They're pretty simple, so as long as things look clean under the plastic and the motor starts and runs as it should, anything else is mostly consumables. With 36k I'd definitely want a test ride, as the clutch shoes could be worn and that'll cost a few hundred to address in parts alone. Not to mention the wrestling match with the clutch spring if you do it yourself...

I also saw the last unsold 2015 Kymco MyRoad 700i selling for around 8K + taxes- it looked great :D. I read that there's some electronic speed control for highway speeds but can't find true use examples or reviews anywhere.

I couldn't check out the newer Burgman 400 or the Xmax 300 as the dealer was closed for easter. BMW was going way beyond budget, so dropping the C 400 completely.

Now I'm just wondering if I should go with the 2007 Burgman or the 2015 Kymco. Thoughts? Advice? Anyone?
My understanding is the 'new' Burgman 400 is more-or-less identical to the old, except the ABS is slightly improved and storage is slightly reduced due to additional emissions control bits. Oh, and the rims are different colours.

I did look at the Kymco 700 listings, but didn't follow up due to the added size being overkill for me and it having less storage. No idea about reliability, though I suspect parts will be slower and/or harder to get. In hindsight, the added power could be useful if it doesn't affect mileage too much. As for storage, I often use most of what the Burgman offers (laptop bag, lunch cooler, helmet, jacket, airbag vest, gloves, rain jacket), so might struggle with a smaller trunk. YMMV...

This is done 🥳🥳🥳 It was a fun weekend with almost sub-zero temps, but was fun!!

Thanks, @MacDoc. Spoke with Chris. It was very informative. I was advised a few things which I'm keeping in mind while planning the logistics et al. I'm not so worried about higher insurance costs in the first year as I have planned for it.

Burgman all the way. Fyi, not a fan of scooters, but I can respect it as a well designed product. I can even like the Honda adv scooter. Anyway...
There is a gentleman near my place who, rain or shine, snow or hurricane, always drives it from God knows where to a timmies nearby. Every frickin day. So yeah, Burgman

I would retire first.

Now I'm just wondering if I should go with the 2007 Burgman
ask on the Burgman site. Suzuki Burgman USA Forum
I only have experience ( 100k km ) on the 650. The 400 is quite different tech. Very popular in Europe.The C60 BMW was quite fun to ride around Mosport and lively -

I finally got this- 2009 Yamaha Tmax 500

All paperwork done.

If you see me in North York/Etobicoke/Mississauga don't forget to wave 😁

Can someone give me a list of paperwork I need to carry one me while riding: license, insurance pink slips? anything else?

Attachments

• IMG-20230422-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230422-WA0001.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 70
I finally got this- 2009 Yamaha Tmax 500

All paperwork done.

If you see me in North York/Etobicoke/Mississauga don't forget to wave 😁

Can someone give me a list of paperwork I need to carry one me while riding: license, insurance pink slips? anything else?
Ownership. Or at least a copy of both sides.

I finally started riding today- 25kms avoiding 401 each way to work for now (hunting for a place closer to work). Wish me luck.

And if you see a cagey motorcyclist on a Yamaha TMax between Hurontario and Keele, it's most likely me. I'm trying to get to know the roads, speed limits et all in the area. So, if I don't acknowledge you, don't take it personally. 😁

Back
Top Bottom