Maxi-scooter anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Maxi-scooter anyone?

hymnz

Hi guys, first post here. I've seen some maxi scooter drivers here and I was hoping someone could help me with some info.

To start off, how do I go about getting my M2 and subsequent M on a scooter? I read a lot of stuff and it looks like scooters, regardless of the displacement, are considered LSM here. I have my eyes on the likes of Yamaha T-Max X-Max, but not sure if I can take them to the test center for general M2 and M tests. The reason- I'm extremely confident in my scooter driving skills and not so much in a motorcycle (I haven't driven one in over 6/7 years as I felt scooters give much better balance control due to their lower center of gravity).

Secondly, how can I rent a bike for the M2 test? I understand the driving schools here offer their own vehicles but I find a $500 fee too high. What would be a better option for this?

My friends and others here strongly suggest I don't get a 2-wheeler but get a 4-wheeler in Canada as the primary vehicle. I understand the concern about the weather/winters here, but my heart says I can just rent a car for the 4 months and have fun the remaining 8 months- Is this plausible?

I'm hoping to start weekend getaways by the next spring if all goes well :)

Last edited:
Scooter over 50cc is not LSM, it is a motorcycle in the eyes of the MTO.

With a maxi-scooter, just book tests as you would with a motorcycle. I (and many other here and most insurance companies) will strongly recommend a safety course. The course includes the test required for license upgrade. The path for most is write M1 at License office, take M1X course on school bikes and graduate with a piece of paper that you take to License office to get M2. For M2 exit, you can either take another course on your bike/scooter (not a bad idea as a refresher) or book a road test at License office.

Renting a car for 4 months seems like it would be really expensive. Where can you even do that?

Only you know if you can do a two wheeler for your primary transport.
How far is your commute? Can you use transit when riding is not an option?

Scooter over 50cc is not LSM, it is a motorcycle in the eyes of the MTO.

With a maxi-scooter, just book tests as you would with a motorcycle. I (and many other here and most insurance companies) will strongly recommend a safety course. The course includes the test required for license upgrade. The path for most is write M1 at License office, take M1X course on school bikes and graduate with a piece of paper that you take to License office to get M2. For M2 exit, you can either take another course on your bike/scooter (not a bad idea as a refresher) or book a road test at License office.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep that in mind.

Renting a car for 4 months seems like it would be really expensive. Where can you even do that?

I meant to say lease a 4-wheeler. But yeah, the travelling distance is about 18 kilometres (16 on the 401) and transit takes about 40 minutes one-way.

Edit: also, getting a bike will be towards the end of this winter. I'm happy using the public transit currently :)

I put my summer car away for the winter and went to Leasebusters. Did a 6 month lease takeover of a fun winter car and returned it just as I took the summer car out of storage. Made sure that the lease had all the return costs paid up - wheels and damage protection. Worked out well.

Getting past the first year is tough from an insurance standpoint.
Kid grabbed a Jaz first but the 50 cc Yamaha scooter was a much better choice with good road presence.
We rode all year and it was "okay" in urban traffic plus fun to go grocery shopping together.
1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__2__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.tiff

this is okay
2d787bfe-1321-45fd-bf39-a7f69d7ac914

I think we paid $2k for ours and sold it for not much less.
Good luck

Have you checked insurance??
Give Chris a call tell him MacDoc sent you.
Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P
: 416-546-8969
F: 866-491-4002

If you get a 50cc for the first year and manage with no claims you will save a lot....he can advise you.
I don't like the 3 wheel complexity.

The Burgman 400 is old tech.

This looks good with excellent weather protection and road presence
2023_Yamaha_XMAX300ASP_EU_MDBNM4_STA_012_03.jpg

I like this
Yamaha 10-Year Belt Warranty on all utility models
I tend to buy one year previous to save $$ - see what deals are around on the 2022 but the 2023 seems to have some benefits.

I still recommend first year 50cc for financial reasons but talk to Chris...he will guide you honestly.
I'd ride this in a heart beat.

@MacDoc thanks. I am looking to get one of these based on availability; what should I keep in mind?
  1. Piaggio MP3: 300cc, 350cc and 500c three-wheeled scooters
  2. 2023 XMAX - Yamaha Motor Canada
  3. 2023 Burgman 400

I often commute on a 2007 Burgman 400, but I'm a fair weather commuter with a car for rainy days etc. I looked at the models you mentioned above, plus the Honda Forza, Yamaha T-Max, Burgman 650, Kymco 700 and BMW C400 and C650.

The 400 handles the highway here fine, though it's getting close to the comfort limit at times for me. The issue isn't top speed, but rather acceleration, which I use as a defensive tool on my motorcycle. You simply can't zip out of the way on a scooter like you can on a bike. The 400 is enough, but I'm not sure how a 300 would do. I actually took the 300cc models off my list for that reason.

So for the ones I looked at, I went with the Burgman 400 because it hit the sweet spot of cheap, powerful enough, and amazing storage space. If I was in your shoes, I'd look for a minty low-mileage example from the early to mid-2010's. Many have less than 20k on the odometer, you get ABS, and otherwise they're mostly identical to a new one for a third the price. Mechanically, they're really simple, so it's pretty easy to do maintenance and mods yourself with some basic tools.

Things I like: cheap on gas and insurance, can use HOV lanes, fun, excellent storage, twist-and-go is nice in traffic. Things I don't like: mine has lots of wind noise at speeds over 110 km/h despite an adjustable Givi windscreen, slow acceleration compared to a 'real' motorcycle, clutch doesn't like being dragged at speeds common in stop-and-go.

I ruled out the rest for the following reasons, though obviously your priorities will be different:

- Forza 300, Piaggio 300, XMax, etc: too slow for me. Love the looks of the Forza with the low screen, especially in red.
- Piaggio MP3 500: uncertain reliability and
possible difficulty getting parts. Three wheels adds complexity, but would be great if I was riding into winter. I'm not, though.
- Yamaha T-Max: not many available, what few were available were too expensive, limited storage. Great handling and fun to ride. The sport bike of scooters.
- Kymco 700: too big for what I wanted. Decent value can be had, no idea about reliability and parts availability.
- BMW C400: no used examples ever came up, except a couple year-old models asking basically new prices.
- BMW C650: my second choice, but the few deals that came up were sold before I could even see the scooter, and the rest wanted too much for badly maintained examples. Also, basically a Kymco with a BMW badge stuck on, but with BMW service fees and parts prices. Still, probably the most luxurious scooter you can buy. Most cost double what I paid for my Burgman 400.
- Burgman 650: too big for me only commuting, and surprisingly less storage than the 400. Some decent deals to be had on low-milers.

I ended up on a minty 2007 Burgman 400 with about 7000km on the odometer for ~$3500. It's only missing ABS, though that has pros and cons of it's own. I've replaced the belt purely for peace of mind considering the age, and then swapped the sliders for lower revs and slightly higher top speed (probably wouldn't do it again as acceleration has suffered slightly). Otherwise, it's just been basic maintenance.

Good luck with the hunt. I'd make sure you're comfortable with the pace of a 300 before jumping into the 401 gladiatorial arena on one, but otherwise they're supremely practical ways to get around. Being able to use HOV lanes often saves me an easy 20 minutes in and 10 minutes back on my commute from Hamilton to Toronto...

he might be able to find a ca–share place. Much cheaper than renting one 24/7.
My nephew and is ex did this for a bunch of years…

XMax or the Burgman - the 3 wheeled Piaggios are not generally well recieved (poor resale value).
Rode a Piaggio MP3 and egads… it’s gutless. Like 125cc level.

Rode a Piaggio MP3 and egads… it’s gutless. Like 125cc level.

It's heavy and .... wierd.

They're hugely popular in Italy, I suspect because of a combination of cheap pricing, good weather protection, and more secure footing on slippery cobblestones in cold weather. I'd be grateful for the added front wheel if I were spending a lot of time riding in the 0-10C range as they do in the winter, but it makes a lot less sense in Canada. Also, the lack of zip is less of a factor on slow, tight, olde worlde streets...

1677078701712-png.59607

North America is a rounding error in Honda sales for bikes like this.
The Super Cub C125 marks the evolution of the legendary Super Cub, which has been sold in over 160 countries and in excess of over 100 million units!
Very popular size here for postie bikes.
Honda-Postie-bike-2-900x600.jpg

but most going to EV version from Switzerland
There is even a 3500 km outback challenge for them.
Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at Mar, 1    2023    3.47.36 AM.jpg

EV something a better choice for the GTA until the powers that be crack down.

Back
Top Bottom