Markham Power Sports | GTAMotorcycle.com

Markham Power Sports

Scrambled

Just a friendly reminder to the owner of this establishment . Your staff has a bad attitude and your parts department is the worst. Have you ever looked at the oil rack ? I am not going to wait a week for you to order in fork oil and if you want anything other than 10w40 don't bother going there. Oh, by the way, I live within walking distance to that place, but I would gladly spend an hour driving somewhere else instead of putting up with the s***ty attitude from your parts geek.

I hope you noticed me selling one of your potential customers a used bike right in front of your store . It was easy , he thought your staff was a bunch of jerks too.

is this is your way of trying to get a sales job there?
make the staff look bad, you sell a bike then bam! you're in!

If your talking about Markham Outdoor Power, I would agree that their a lot of their staff has a bad attitude and if you're not buying a bike from them, they really don't give a crap about you.
Dealing with their parts dept a few times, they usually have their own personal conversation going on with you standing right at the counter. I was greeted in two different instances with "What do you want?" in a rude tone as if I interrupted their conversation by standing there obviously wanting to order a part.
There was one guy I dealt with that was pretty pleasant one time when I just went in to make a spare key.

Thanks for the heads up... Remember We have a reviews sub forum for reviews of shops. Please post there.

What's the matter?.. didn't like being told to "get the fork-oil outta here?"

"No parts for YOU. ONE YEAR !!"

Doing your research helps. They ARE the only Honda dealer in town; you will have to drive an hour ;)
Checking out a website and firing off an email before heading down probably would have helped.

I love 'em there; never had a bad experience.

I am the owner of Markham Outdoor Power, and we will always try our best to satisfy the needs of our customers. In retail you can not always keep 100% of the customers happy. We are a Honda exculsive dealership and although we will service all Japanese motorcycles we mainly carry in inventory products related to the Honda product line. We all know there are two sides to every story. Next time you are in the store please introduce yourself to me ( Dan Lawrence) so I can assure you receive the service our shop strives to provide.

I am the owner of Markham Outdoor Power, and we will always try our best to satisfy the needs of our customers. In retail you can not always keep 100% of the customers happy. We are a Honda exculsive dealership and although we will service all Japanese motorcycles we mainly carry in inventory products related to the Honda product line. We all know there are two sides to every story. Next time you are in the store please introduce yourself to me ( Dan Lawrence) so I can assure you receive the service our shop strives to provide.
Thanks for coming on here to reply Dan!

I really love the BBQ's you guys throw, get great deals on Motul while I'm there too, etc. I own a Yamaha, and absolutely hate Honda with a passion, so don't usually make it to you establishment except on the BBQ days.

See you in the spring :)

-Jamie M.

RC-31 said:
Doing your research helps. They ARE the only Honda dealer in town; you will have to drive an hour
Checking out a website and firing off an email before heading down probably would have helped.

I love 'em there; never had a bad experience.

+1

Great dealership. I've always been treated very nicely there without exception.

Thanks for coming on here to reply Dan!

I really love the BBQ's you guys throw, get great deals on Motul while I'm there too, etc. I own a Yamaha, and absolutely hate Honda with a passion, so don't usually make it to you establishment except on the BBQ days.

See you in the spring :)

-Jamie M.

Jamie, I used to be like you---very loyal to one brand. Now I recognize that all the Japanese manufacturers make some stellar bikes including Honda.

Jamie, I used to be like you---very loyal to one brand. Now I recognize that all the Japanese manufacturers make some stellar bikes including Honda.
Yeah. They (Honda) burned me once, real bad. Refused to replace my ECU under warranty. Only way I got one was through an insurance scam, fixed the problem right away. 3 years of having a brand new bike that was unrideable, unacceptable :(

I make sure every person I talk to doesn't buy Honda. Cars, bikes, lawnmowers, etc. I had to give in when two of my friends wanted 250 starter bikes, didn't want them using carburetors, so CBR 250 was the only choice. They BOTH have the well known problem where they pull in the clutch at speed and the bike just stalls :( Great impression on a new rider Honda, and refuse to update the ECU with the improved idle code I provided you? LOL!

-Jamie M.

Yeah. They (Honda) burned me once, real bad. Refused to replace my ECU under warranty. Only way I got one was through an insurance scam, fixed the problem right away. 3 years of having a brand new bike that was unrideable, unacceptable :(

I make sure every person I talk to doesn't buy Honda. Cars, bikes, lawnmowers, etc. I had to give in when two of my friends wanted 250 starter bikes, didn't want them using carburetors, so CBR 250 was the only choice. They BOTH have the well known problem where they pull in the clutch at speed and the bike just stalls :( Great impression on a new rider Honda, and refuse to update the ECU with the improved idle code I provided you? LOL!

-Jamie M.

But all of the manufacturers have had their issues with certain models. For example, my Yamaha threw a rod bearing and I had to have the motor rebuilt. This hasn't put me off buying another Yamaha in the future, though. **** happens.

But all of the manufacturers have had their issues with certain models. For example, my Yamaha threw a rod bearing and I had to have the motor rebuilt. This hasn't put me off buying another Yamaha in the future, though. **** happens.
Was it under warranty? Did they fix it under warranty? It was a brand new bike, they refused to fix. That's my issue.

-Jamie M.

I remember that incident (I helped pull the engine out of the bike). Happened out of warranty, IIRC with a little over 20,000 km on the engine but the time period for the warranty had passed. Yamaha did nothing.

Every complex machine has weak points in its design. Winter project coming up is to fix two known weak points with my 2004 ZX10R, one being the alternator (a shim needs to be replaced with a coated one having a different thickness) and the other being the valve spring retainers (and this requires the engine to come apart). These faults with the design showed up after most of them were out of warranty. I'm going to fix them before mine blows up ...

I remember that incident (I helped pull the engine out of the bike). Happened out of warranty, IIRC with a little over 20,000 km on the engine but the time period for the warranty had passed. Yamaha did nothing.
That sucks it was out of warranty and they did nothing. My car is out of warranty by 2.5 months and GM is refusing to fix anything (broken cam chain, engine destroyed). Tons of people are having the same issue, asked them about a recall or TSB on my car, they said "nope, everything peachy"... ummm: http://ecuflashking.com/GM TECH AIP3252 - FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY.pdf

When was my car built? 11/06.... LOL?

-Jamie M.

That sucks it was out of warranty and they did nothing. My car is out of warranty by 2.5 months and GM is refusing to fix anything (broken cam chain, engine destroyed). Tons of people are having the same issue, asked them about a recall or TSB on my car, they said "nope, everything peachy"... ummm: http://ecuflashking.com/GM TECH AIP3252 - FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY.pdf

When was my car built? 11/06.... LOL?

-Jamie M.

I too remember that incident helping pull the motor out and put it back in. To be fair at the time Yamaha DID offer to help out, they were willing to pay for parts since
it was just out of warantee and he would pay for labour. But it would involve delivering the bike to a yamaha dealer and letting them do it from A to Z.
At this point we had already pulled the motor out and Phoenix is a bit of an eccentric when it comes to his bikes he wanted it to be done by his own engine guy.
And I don't blame him one bit, warantee time to do an engine job in a shop is not exactly taking into consideration that this is someones pride and joy.

Your GM timing chain issue sounds like the upcoming future VW timing belt engines in TDI engine. I heard they are going to a life long no replacement timing belt
design. So.... what happens if the belt brakes ? Thats the life of the engine !! :D LOL

As for the original post about Markham Outdoor Power. I have to side with the dealer on this one, and its not because I worked there for 5 years as a mechanic. If you look at all the Honda dealers that disappeared and the fact that this one is still there and doing well they must be doing more things right than wrong. I know for a fact the people in the showroom would not treat you bad or ignore you, they are genuinely nice people. In the same breath I also have to remind you that they are just human beings too and they also have limits.

Its not easy working in the service industry, your skin toughens up a bit. Just to give a funny example, had a guy come in with a branch through the radiator on his ATV with an overheat conditoin. It was bought in the USA. He expected Canada to cover it under warantee and fought it hard. Dealers have to deal with lotsssss of crap too ;) I was their customer for years before being an employee. Most of the people working there have been there for a decade. Its not an overnight operation.

So my advice to you if you live around the corner, grab a buddy, go grab yourself a coffee relax, go in there and get your parts. You don't need to drive hours. If they don't have it on the shelf they can get it for you. If you're slammed with rudeness, go talk to the management, someone is always there.

I make sure every person I talk to doesn't buy Honda. Cars, bikes, lawnmowers, etc.
-Jamie M.

If you're gonna hang around the track for any length of time then I would keep you views to yourself. Honda 1000w and 2000w generators are the de facto standard for warmers etc at the track. Their generators are easy to start, supply great power and sip gas. They're also light enough (even the 2000w model) to pick up, swing and hit someone over the head with, should the need arise.

Every complex machine has weak points in its design. Winter project coming up is to fix two known weak points with my 2004 ZX10R, one being the alternator (a shim needs to be replaced with a coated one having a different thickness) and the other being the valve spring retainers (and this requires the engine to come apart). These faults with the design showed up after most of them were out of warranty. I'm going to fix them before mine blows up ...

I really appreciated the help---ah, they were good times! Hey! I just insured the FZ---we should go for a ride! :D

Martin said:
M.
I too remember that incident helping pull the motor out and put it back in. To be fair at the time Yamaha DID offer to help out, they were willing to pay for parts since
it was just out of warantee and he would pay for labour. But it would involve delivering the bike to a yamaha dealer and letting them do it from A to Z.
At this point we had already pulled the motor out and Phoenix is a bit of an eccentric when it comes to his bikes he wanted it to be done by his own engine guy.
And I don't blame him one bit, warantee time to do an engine job in a shop is not exactly taking into consideration that this is someones pride and joy.

At the time, I didn't feel Yamaha had offered me a good deal as the bike was still relatively new, (-and I change the oil every 3500kms!!). I'm glad that I followed Brian's advice and had Ryan Gill rebuild the motor, (-she's still running strong!).
I am still indebted to you and Brian for your help. :)

Martin said:
As for the original post about Markham Outdoor Power. I have to side with the dealer on this one, and its not because I worked there for 5 years as a mechanic. If you look at all the Honda dealers that disappeared and the fact that this one is still there and doing well they must be doing more things right than wrong. I know for a fact the people in the showroom would not treat you bad or ignore you, they are genuinely nice people. In the same breath I also have to remind you that they are just human beings too and they also have limits.

Its not easy working in the service industry, your skin toughens up a bit. Just to give a funny example, had a guy come in with a branch through the radiator on his ATV with an overheat conditoin. It was bought in the USA. He expected Canada to cover it under warantee and fought it hard. Dealers have to deal with lotsssss of crap too I was their customer for years before being an employee. Most of the people working there have been there for a decade. Its not an overnight operation.

I hear what you're saying about the service industry. I can't believe the way some customers approach me when seeking my assistance, (-unbelieveably rude!). Personally, I treat people the way I like to be treated---especially when I need their help, (ie. buying/looking-for a part). This has served me well most of the time.

The staff at Markham Outdoor Power have always been friendly and helpful to me. If I'm in the market for a Honda again, that dealership would be the one I'd go to.

Your GM timing chain issue sounds like the upcoming future VW timing belt engines in TDI engine. I heard they are going to a life long no replacement timing belt
design. So.... what happens if the belt brakes ? Thats the life of the engine !! :D LOL
What' with all this "lifetime" stuff? The tranny in my cobalt is "sealed" with "lifetime oil". I started to have a bit of gear whine when I first bought it, dealer said "that's normal". Took it to a shop, they drained and vacuumed all the black tar out of the tranny and replaced it with fresh fluid. Lifetime, lol.

It's almost like they are designing the cars to last a "lifetime", i.e. just long enough to fulfill the cars warranty period! Once it's out of warranty just throw it in the garbage, or spend a few thousand replacing the cam chain, guides, tensioner, control arms (because the tie rod ends are not serviceable on the cobalt fyi), etc. etc. etc.

-Jamie M.

Back
Top Bottom