M1 exit..(M2) | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 exit..(M2)

Dani P

Anyone taken the test at the MTO to obtain your M2 lately? If so, what does it consist of and what to expect? thx

What the hell? You cant take your M2 at the ministry it has to be through a college no?

What the hell? You cant take your M2 at the ministry it has to be through a college no?

^ somebody didn't read their booklet ;) ... ofcourse you can, and its actually easier than doing it through the course.. oh and less money too ;)

^ somebody didn't read their booklet ;) ... ofcourse you can, and its actually easier than doing it through the course.. oh and less money too ;)

+1
The MTO is like $40 and the college course is like $400.
Although if you dont have the skill down or are scared to ride then I definitely suggest taking the course.

The debate will always go on about whether or not to take the course to get your M2 or just go to the Ministry.

Let me ask you this: do you think the Ministry Tester is going to critique your form, offer you tips, and recount stories you might learn from? Are their going to be multiple testers to do that, like there are at any of the courses offered. Will you have an opportunity to learn from observing other's mistakes? The Ministry Tester's job is to decide if you meet the requirements for obtain a license, simple as that.

Sure, you'll save a few bucks, but if you're in this sport to save money, you might have made a mistake. Why not pay for what matters most, your safety?

Now, that being said, getting your M through the Ministry is a whole different debate.

I did mine at the ministry... I would definitely say its a case by case basis.. Not for everyone but glad I saved the time and money..

It is definitely case by case on where you should take it.
If you are new to bikes and just got your first one then the course is definitely for you.
In my case I have been on dirtbikes most of my life and had alot of road experience in a vehicle so I had background in both.
But if you can take the course I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

Once again delivering from the fountain of misinformation.

Ummm maybe they changed the law? When I got my M2 in 2004 it had to be through a course, nobody ever game me a choice and I'm 100% sure that I asked around and got the same answer all the time.

The way I see it is you can book a test, wait for it to come..hope you know enough to pass.

If you fail, book another one and retry (how long are the wait times now)

or

Book at a school. Spend a weekend with instructors teaching you proper techniques and actually coach you on what you need to know and coach your weaknesses....and administer the actual test.

The likelihood of passing after learning everything is higher than hoping you know everythying...

But again, some ppl can simply just pass. It's not a bad idea to take a school if you got the money, as I'm almost certain you'd come out with better skills to be a better rider than if you just learned from watching and listening to other riders.

uhm, how should I answer?..Let me see.. I ask a simple question, and I get all kinds of "smart" responses...alleluya forums..again...lol...All I would love to know is, if you have taken the M2 at the MTO and if so, what does it consist of?...maybe I should mention, I've had my full M for over 12 yrs now, and Im sure Ive put more Ks then most of you(dont take it as on offense) on a bike...easy 20k per yr...
Now again..all I have is a simple question, and it will be nice if someone could help..thats all...
Jamie C...what did they ask you to do?... rg0r,what did they ask you to do?
Just a debate a few of us motorcyclist are having and would like to know..thx!!!

and in my opinion i belive the course is worth every penny for 95% of riders out there...

If you have your M why are you taking the M1 exit?

if its for your "friend" what are his/her riding skills?

uhm, how should I answer?..Let me see.. I ask a simple question, and I get all kinds of "smart" responses...alleluya forums..again...lol...All I would love to know is, if you have taken the M2 at the MTO and if so, what does it consist of?...maybe I should mention, I've had my full M for over 12 yrs now, and Im sure Ive put more Ks then most of you(dont take it as on offense) on a bike...easy 20k per yr...
Now again..all I have is a simple question, and it will be nice if someone could help..thats all...
Just a debate a few of us motorcyclist are having and would like to know..thx!!!

and in my opinion i belive the course is worth every penny for 95% of riders out there...

Ummm maybe they changed the law? When I got my M2 in 2004 it had to be through a course, nobody ever game me a choice and I'm 100% sure that I asked around and got the same answer all the time.

Did mine in 2004 as well and there was a ministry option at the time. I went with the course due to my lack of riding knowledge and mostly my lack of motorcycle. As far as not being given the choice... You either call the college and register for the course or you call/book online with the ministry and do their test. The choice is yours to make. The people running the course are not going to ask "are you sure you don't want to do the ministry test because you have that choice too".

You start with a group of riders. Tester calls each person up individually and asks you to point to things on your bike as he/she calls them out. You need to show you know the hand/arm signals (eg. stop, left, right)

Then you need to walk your bike (while beside it) in a figure 8 around a set of cones.

Next, you weave in and out of ~8 sets of cones (I don't remember exact number). Then drive straight (very slow) between the cones until you get to the end, loop around, and then gain some speed and perform a hard brake and stop very close (not over) a line on the pavement.

Once you pass that portion you move on to the road portion where the tester will stand at the corner of an intersection and observe you -- this is basically just riding up and down past them, demonstrating a lane change, etc.

And I think that's it.

Pretty simple test at the Oshawa MTO a few months back & is pretty much exactly what you'll find in the booklet. Someone posted the scanned pages here if you feel like looking.

Gist of the test is:
1. Walk the bike around some cones
2. Ride figure-8 around the same cones
3. Ride in a straight line through cones, u-turn, accelerate to 30 & stop on a line.

If you pass that, you get to do the road test which is honestly a bit of a joke:
1. Turn right out of the parking lot, switch lanes & take the first left.
2. Turn left down a side street, make a u-turn (MTO guy can't see you now)
3. Make 2 rights & a left to get back into the parking lot.
4. Collect your M2 & take the 401 home!

I have quite a bit of dirt experience so I was fairly confident in my abilities & just had to pick up riding in traffic. Not sure if the test is an adequate skill test for someone with no prior experience though; anyone should be able to pass with just an hour or two experience on a bike.

AllanR and NeilMc..thank you...just the answer I was looking for...

Lmao...to who ask .."If you have your M why are you taking the M1 exit?"
READ THE POST

This thread answered everything I was looking to know (Thanks!) save for one detail; What are the current waiting times for the M1 Exit tests through the DriveTest Centers? (IE: How long between booking the test, and taking it? Of course I know it is impossible to gain an exact figure, but am I looking at a week, a month, 2 months...?)

Call around to different MTO centers and see when they can get you in.

That's what I did for all my G2/G tests.

Back
Top Bottom