Looking for some fitness guidance | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for some fitness guidance

I find those machines you bought are a far bigger killer on my lower back than the squats. That’s why I stay the eff away from them. Got high numbers but lower back suffered for weeks afterwards.

With the squat Im hitting much lower weights, but enjoy it and feel it better.
Those big numbers are why your back hurt. Press allows you to up the weight with less injury/pain concern so long as you don’t overdo it (and keep good form which is often what kills your lower back). Press compliments the squat and isn’t a replacement. Instead of the squat being my core quad exercise I can divide it with the squat/press therefor helping my knees.

Those big numbers are why your back hurt. Press allows you to up the weight with less injury/pain concern so long as you don’t overdo it (and keep good form which is often what kills your lower back). Press compliments the squat and isn’t a replacement. Instead of the squat being my core quad exercise I can divide it with the squat/press therefor helping my knees.
Hurt my lower back at 16-18 showing off for girls at the gym….

Heavy weights on the bench press, wrap my legs around the bench, arch and lift…pop.

Have had pain since then. Better at some times than others so took 15-20 years to touch a deadlift as I was paranoid of more damage. But did lower weights and ran the numbers up to my current 144lb deadlift which is fine for my needs.

Yes, religiously. Back/knee issues hold back my heavy squat days so that was a big reason for the press. I looked at the sled but the press was only a few hundred more and worth it (sled is good, my friend has one, but I like the press better).

Probably wrong choice of words on my part..
I call your machine a press sled.

They didn't have those sleds folks push across the floor when I got into it.

I was thinking of getting a 'sled' that you pull with a rope across the yard for some workout...not sure how happy the wife would be with streak marks on the lawn during the spring summer...and I'd need to lug up the weights from the basement to the yard. So that's probably a non-starter.

Also considering some battle ropes, and still looking for a plyobox and used adjustable kettlebell if anyone has something for sale.

I was thinking of getting a 'sled' that you pull with a rope across the yard for some workout...not sure how happy the wife would be with streak marks on the lawn during the spring summer...and I'd need to lug up the weights from the basement to the yard. So that's probably a non-starter.

Also considering some battle ropes, and still looking for a plyobox and used adjustable kettlebell if anyone has something for sale.
A firefighter friend wanted a towing sled but was unimpressed by the price. He grabbed an old tire, used some scraps of wood to make an internal frame (basically an x with a post in the centre for plate weights). He runs around dragging it on the road/sidewalk. No ruined lawn. Almost free.

This is a press sled and the one I was referring to.

I am thinking about the XLP V3 like yours or a combo unit.. something like this one...

I am thinking about the XLP V3 like yours or a combo unit.. something like this one...
As someone that basically never goes to the gym, is there a standard slope for these things? If slope varies between machines, you would need to adjust the actual weight for the same effective weight.

As someone that basically never goes to the gym, is there a standard slope for these things? If slope varies between machines, you would need to adjust the actual weight for the same effective weight.

I think a lot of them are similar but I'm not sure...
There are factors other than just the slope between machines... bearings, wheels, varying weights of machine parts, etc.. that will mean differences in the actual resistance being pushed.
The same machine in differing states of maintenance/wear.. I'm pretty sure you will find some difference.

The thing I don’t like about those combo hack/press ones is how small the foot plate is. As of last week the same combo one made by Northern Lights was for sale in Durham on marketplace. Would have been a few hundred cheaper than my XLP but I preferred having the larger foot plate.

Here is a fair explanation

FWIW i use a leverage belt squat machine very close to a 1:1 ratio and very little spinal load

Update on the caffeine cut.
No real noticeable changes for me after 3.5 weeks.
Weight has stayed about the same and after the first few days of migraines and withdrawal, I did not feel any difference in energy.
For reference I would drink 2 large cups of black during the weekdays and a bubbletea in the evening. Weekends a double espresso and more bubbletea a day. (This was not every single day, but more 60% of the time).

Interestingly the tea I was drinking in the evening as a pre-workout clearly had no effect so I will probably have less of that (especially with the calories).
I'm less trying to lose weight currently than to gain strength/muscle. I'll probably do some HIIT or cardio once it starts warming up to lose the 5-10lbs of dadbod instead.

If anyone is around Pickering and looking to set up a home gym there might be some good buys here.
If you had a lot of room, great way to have your own commercial gym for a reasonable amount of money. Picking it all up next thursday would be a workout all on its own. I didn't know govdeals had canadian stuff, I thought it was all USA. Pickering needs to invest in a camera. A 2004 flip phone purchased at the same time as the gym equipment could have taken those shots.

One piece of advise tho do not bid on any of the equipment with electronics with out seeing/testing the electronics for functionality first. With the basic strength machines the photos should give a fair estimation of condition/functionality without the need to see in person.
The good news is that most strength equipment disassembles with minimal amount of tools.

Back
Top Bottom