License plate obstruction laws | GTAMotorcycle.com

License plate obstruction laws

Shaggy

I'm curious about what exactly is a ticketable offence when it comes to this. Specifically, if I had something attached to my bike that could allow me to block my plate at any time but I chose not to use it, can I get a ticket for merely having it on my bike or does your plate actually need to be blocked at the time? What about flip plates? I've seen alot of these, are these ticketable when they are down and clearly visible?

I thought you knew all the laws on plate obstruction? isnt it an HTA 172 for blocking it? lol

It's better to say nothing at all then open your mouth and remove all doubt... I'm sure you can figure that one out. For the record he is refering to he topic on the 407 where he thinks it's "insane" that he could get a 172 for performing a stunt in front of a camera no less. I never said it was a sure thing but insane...

I looked through that topic and it's not quite what Im looking for. Not interested in "I heard if the flip plate isn't in use it's not illegal, "I heard they can still ticket you for having one". Was hoping someone could chime in with actual HTA references or point me in the right direction for a online source. Only interested in the actual wording of the law, not peoples opinions or hear say.

I looked through that topic and it's not quite what Im looking for. Not interested in "I heard if the flip plate isn't in use it's not illegal, "I heard they can still ticket you for having one". Was hoping someone could chime in with actual HTA references or point me in the right direction for a online source. Only interested in the actual wording of the law, not peoples opinions or hear say.

Why do you care?

Why do you care?

Maybe he wants to do what I want to do now that I've heard about flippers:

"**** OFF"

On the flipped down side. And, of course, carry a very sharp tool on you in case somebody decides to get personal after they see it.

I was also interested to know if a vehicle has to have a visible license plate while parked on private property. Like a mcdonalds parking lot or something. Could I fully remove my plate while in said parking lot as long as I put it back on before entering the roadway? Hta doesn't apply in a parking lot right?

Why do you care?

I said in my first post to you in the other topic that I wasn't against the covering of the plate thing. I just found it amazing that you referred to the other poster as "insane". If it wasn't for that I wouldn't of bothered posting anything at all.

I was also interested to know if a vehicle has to have a visible license plate while parked on private property. Like a mcdonalds parking lot or something. Could I fully remove my plate while in said parking lot as long as I put it back on before entering the roadway? Hta doesn't apply in a parking lot right?

That would be the stupiest thing you could ever do!

I said in my first post to you in the other topic that I wasn't against the covering of the plate thing. I just found it amazing that you referred to the other poster as "insane". If it wasn't for that I wouldn't of bothered posting anything at all.

Well to me it is insane! Even with your replies, I still say its insane that it would be an HTA 172

From what i know if its a manual flipper its legal as long as the plate stays visible once you flip it and hide your plate its illegal. If a cops pulls you over and he has to physically flip your plate he just altered your vehicle.
Electronic ones are illegal

Well to me it is insane! Even with your replies, I still say its insane that it would be an HTA 172

But you are performing a stunt on a public road in your attempt to cover the plate. Stunting is a main offense of 172 is it not? To me this is fact. Putting one leg directly behind your bike while on a ramp even for a second is a stunt, might not be the most impressive but a stunt none the less (even if your not doing it to hide the plate) How could it possibly be insane that there's a chance you could get ticketed with an offense that's directly related to stunting? Do you even realize wheelies are the same thing under this law? Even making 2 or 3 lane changes in a minute or two is specifically said to be street racing (dont remember the exact wording)Okay I'm done.

Last edited:
Even making 2 or 3 lane changes in a minute or two is specifically said to be street racing (dont remember the exact wording)Okay I'm done.

There is nothing wrong with making multiple lane changes (even without signalling). Where one would get into trouble is when you interfere with another vehicle (ex. cut him of forcing him to swerve or slam on their brakes). This would be careless driving, not stunting and would carry 6 demerit points and a hefty fine.

There is nothing wrong with making multiple lane changes (even without signalling). Where one would get into trouble is when you interfere with another vehicle (ex. cut him of forcing him to swerve or slam on their brakes). This would be careless driving, not stunting and would carry 6 demerit points and a hefty fine.

Well, not necessarily. The racing definition in Reg 455 says the following in part, and no mention is made of interference with other vehicles as being needed to support laying charges. Only close proximity and higher speed than other traffic is needed.
2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “race” and “contest” include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).​

Last edited:
Thanks. People need to realize its not their opinion of the law or hear say that counts but the actual law its self and it's wording. This is espicailly true when receiving a ticket. Obviously you don't need to be found guilty in court to get a ticket but there are many ticketable offences that can be interpreted and taken advantage of by a police officer. Alot of police officer's are fair and just but there are also alot that if they decide they dont like you for whatever reason will try to screw you in anyway possible. Even going to court and getting off is a huge inconvience as you most likely have to miss work and lose hundreds of $ in lost income. For 172, theres also the towing fee and probaly a lawyer that your going to pay either way.

From a legal stand point it is your responsibility to know provincial laws and make sure you dont break them. It is very different from a criminal charge where "mensrea" is required for a conviction. In provincial offences only "actus reas" is required for a conviction and you are pretty much guilty until proven innocent. Its on you to prove your innocence, its not on them to prove your guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." Basically you dont need to know your doing something wrong to be guilty. *Im not preaching to follow every law just explaining the difference from a legal stand point that others might not realize.

Was able to find some stuff incase anyone else was curious:

Violations as to number plates

12. (1) Every person who,

(a) defaces or alters any number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(b) uses or permits the use of a defaced or altered number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(c) without the authority of the permit holder, removes a number plate from a motor vehicle or trailer;

(d) uses or permits the use of a number plate upon a vehicle other than a number plate authorized for use on that vehicle;

(e) uses or permits the use of evidence of validation upon a number plate displayed on a motor vehicle other than evidence of validation furnished by the Ministry in respect of that motor vehicle; or

(f) uses or permits the use of a number plate or evidence of validation other than in accordance with this Act and the regulations,

is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or to both, and in addition the person’s licence or permit may be suspended for not more than six months. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 12 (1).

Property of the Crown

(2) Every number plate is the property of the Crown and shall be returned to the Ministry when required by the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 5 (1).

Same

(3) For the purpose of subsection (2),

“number plate” includes,

(a) a number plate bearing a requested number,

(b) evidence of validation,

(c) a permit,

(d) a CAVR cab card, and

(e) an IRP cab card issued by the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 5 (1).

Note: On a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor, subsection (3) is repealed by the Statutes of Ontario, 1999, chapter 12, Schedule R, subsection 5 (2) and the following substituted:

Same

(3) For the purpose of subsection (2),

“number plate” includes,

(a) a number plate bearing a requested number,

(b) evidence of validation,

(c) a permit, and

(d) an IRP cab card issued by the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 5 (2).

See: 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, ss. 5 (2), 21.

Number plates, further violations

No other numbers to be exposed

13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

Obstruction prohibited

(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).

Same

(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).

Same

(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).
Offence

(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2).

Improper or invalid number plates and cab cards

Improper number plate

14. (1) Where a police officer or an officer appointed under this Act has reason to believe that,

(a) a number plate attached to a motor vehicle or trailer,

(i) has not been authorized under this Act for use on that vehicle,

(ii) was obtained by false pretences, or

(iii) has been defaced or altered;

(b) evidence of validation of a permit displayed on a motor vehicle,

(i) was not furnished under this Act in respect of that motor vehicle,

(iii) has been defaced or altered; or

(c) a permit carried by a driver of a motor vehicle,

(i) was not authorized under this Act in respect of that motor vehicle,

(iii) has been defaced or altered,

the officer may take possession of the number plate, evidence of validation or permit and retain it until the facts have been determined. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 14 (1).

So it seems from this part of the hta that to get an obstruction ticket it does infact have to be obstructed at the time. Although it seems possible they could try to ticket you with the other section where "altered" plate is mentioned. As long as it is visible and the metal plate itself (not its mount/cover/etc) is not altered I cant see you being able to be convicted on this although I could see a police officer handing out a ticket anyway at times.

More stuff regarding 407:

PART X.1
TOLL HIGHWAYS

Definitions, Part X.1

191.1 In this Part,

“electronic toll system” means all of the equipment, including the toll devices prescribed under clause 191.4 (a), that is used to electronically determine the amount of tolls owed and who owes them; (“système de péage électronique”)

“toll highway” means Highway 407 as defined in the Highway 407 Act, 1998 and any other highway designated as a toll highway under any Act. (“voie publique à péage”) 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3); 1998, c. 28, s. 67 (1).

Toll device required

191.2 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a toll highway unless a validated toll device, as prescribed under clause 191.4 (a), is affixed to the vehicle in accordance with the regulations made under clause 191.4 (b). 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).

Validation of toll device

(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), a validated toll device is a toll device that is validated under the Capital Investment Plan Act, 1993 or a toll device that is validated under the Highway 407 Act, 1998. 1998, c. 28, s. 67 (2).

Evasion, etc., of electronic toll system

191.3 (1) No person shall engage in an activity or use any device or material for the purpose of evading, obstructing or interfering with the effective operation of an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).

Powers of police officer

(2) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a device or material contrary to subsection (1) and may seize and take away any such device or material found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).

Forfeiture of device, material

(3) When a person is convicted of an offence under this section, any device or material seized under subsection (2) by means of which the offence was committed is forfeited to the Crown. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).

Sale of interference device prohibited

(4) No person shall sell, offer or advertise for sale any device or material that is designed or intended to interfere with the effective operation of an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).

Regulations, toll devices

191.4 The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,

(a) prescribing toll devices for the purpose of section 191.2;

(b) prescribing the manner in which the toll devices shall be affixed in or on a motor vehicle;

(c) exempting any vehicle or class of vehicles from the application of section 191.2. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).

Agian it seems the actual use of such of device is illegal, not the purchase or installation of it. Although selling one is illegal.

Agian it seems the actual use of such of device is illegal, not the purchase or installation of it. Although selling one is illegal.

I think you're attaching a wishful-thinking best-case interpretation to 191.3.(2).
Powers of police officer
(2) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a device or material contrary to subsection (1) and may seize and take away any such device or material found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (3).
Nothing there says that the device has to have been seen in actual use at the time of search and seizure.

Back
Top Bottom