Joe rocket helmets | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe rocket helmets

Cheap materials like thermoplastic do not absorb impact damage as well as some of the fibre composites. Expensive helmets will usually have thicker, stronger visors, better venting, higher quality and comfort padding, better strap design., etc.. Nevertheless, price is not the only thing to go by as with everything else in life.

wow.. lots of great responses to my thread.

Anyone have any input to my 2nd question about the aftermarket visors (shields)? $25 for the aftermarket or $50 for the OEM

The testing methods were solid

ummm... no they werent. the testing methods used in the article are not used by any (even DOT) safety certification board.

they were done with a single, direct impact blow, which is unheard of on the streat, and does not give a fair representation of a helmets protection.

ummm... no they werent. the testing methods used in the article are not used by any (even DOT) safety certification board.

they were done with a single, direct impact blow, which is unheard of on the streat, and does not give a fair representation of a helmets protection.

I've seen a Arai dented by a single direct impact blow.

It happens.

Here is the UK Sharp helmet testing. Which is in my opinion the best info there is.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Wow that site is an eye opener. Thanks for the share. I am really surprised that most of the Arai helmets scored 3 stars when it seems like they are reputed as one of if not the best helmets made. All of the Bell helmets score 5 stars and are half to 1/3 less in price.

I've seen a Arai dented by a single direct impact blow.

It happens.

thats what it's supposed to do.

if thermoplastic was hit the same way, the shell would absorb the hit, then return to its original shape, causing a reversal in the direction the helmet is moving, which is what causes a coup-contre coup effect (aka, bruising to the brain)

That article is quite outdated. SNELL revised it's specs to resolve some of those issues.

Helmet weight IMHO is a huge factor. None of these tests check for neck injuries. Helmet weight has a direct impact on neck injuries.

I found the Joe Rocket helmet very uncomfortable and I thought the general build quality was lacking.
My similar priced Scorpian Exo is my main helmet these days. I've worn it for 9 hrs straight with no problems.
I think the difference is Scorpian is company that wants to go some where, build a name. JR helmets is just an add on to an existing company that wants more sales from their faithful customers. I'm one of their faithful customers, that's why I looked at their helmets. Someone dropped the ball,
They should have stuck to what they know.

Somebody else mentioned it, but without the quote. This article is outdated. The new Snell standard has removed some of the multi hit criteria that was so controversial in the old standard.

Of course this is very true, but I think the main point today (that still holds true) is that helmets of the same "standard" protect roughly about the same regardless of price. The old "$100 helmet for a $100 head" (or whatever price the saying was for, before being adjusted for inflation) just means the person saying it has no clue (or likes to get their info from sales people...). If threads like this achieve nothing more than breaking the myth for the noobs we have at least achieved something. This of course this makes people mad because too many still fall for this, and they need to try and justify the $$$s to the crowd...

What was interesting is that Snell argued hard that Motorcyclist was WRONG and they knew better, then they made changes to their standards.

As others and myself have noted, get the helmet that fits best (of course one that meets the appropriate standards) and from that point look at features (wind noise, venting etc.). Weight is a factor but many of the cheaper helmets are pretty light... If you want the bling get the bling, there is nothing wrong with that (hey I ride a Ducati...), but in real life it cannot be justified by guaranteed better safety...

The helmet testing site listed above by RedDogDarren provides even better info in that it is more up-to-date, there is still not a direct 100% relationship between price and.... The site shows that many of the high price units are not as good as the low price (although there are poor ratings in all price ranges).

Helmet weight IMHO is a huge factor. None of these tests check for neck injuries. Helmet weight has a direct impact on neck injuries.

You could be right. But where do I find the data to confirm it, as you say at the start that it's just your "opinion"? Not that it matters as my RSR2 is one of the lightest helmets made.

wow.. lots of great responses to my thread.

Anyone have any input to my 2nd question about the aftermarket visors (shields)? $25 for the aftermarket or $50 for the OEM

I have a Shark RSR2.

2 OEM visors - clean and mirror

Decided that I want a "gold mirror" visor :cool:
Found one on eBay. Bought it.
BIG disappointment:
- it's thinner
- it get scratched even by dust, I guess - my OEM mirrored visor has only one scratch from a stone I felt and heard well on the HWY :protest:

My 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom