Joe rocket helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe rocket helmets

5150studios

So I am in the market for a new helmet. I can't afford and Arai

Was looking at Shoei RF1100's as they are more my price,but had a friend suggest the Joe Rocket carbon fiber helmet. Price is still a little cheaper than the RF1100 MSRP but I a not sold on the bRand.

I have a Shoei now and before that and HJC.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these?..

A Shoei to a Rocket helmet? If that's the case, you're going from a hand built Japanese helmet to a Chinese built entry level helmet made in a factory that makes helmets for anyone and everyone. The Shoei Qwest is very reasonable in price, check that out before you make a final decision. Your helmet is one of very few items that can save your life, so don't skimp out.

Check out Riders Choice, they have some great deals on old RF1100 graphics.

Picked up an RF1100 TC-6 Hadron. Got a wicked deal from GP bikes.

Retail is $679.99 and I got it for $399.99+tax! Woot woot

The joe rockets scared me when they only put DOT approved on the back and almost everyone else puts SNEL as well. That worried me.

Not to mention the RF fits 100x better. Already took it for my first ride and I love it.

Anyonehave any experience with the smoked visors for the Shoei helmets off eBay? They are 12 the price of one from Shoei directly....... Material is supposed to Beas good if not better.....

Don't forget fit, it's more important than brand and certifications.

You might want to look for ECE, from my research I found that it's comparable to SNELL but it doesn't cost as much to certify a helmet under it.

Gatekeeper, I think your pretty much stuck with a helmet you bought, most stores I shop at there are NO returns onhelmets. They don't know how long you wore it, if you dropped it, etc...

So do I return my Joe Rocket helmet ? it fits me well, I like the styling, the matte black finish and it meets DOT and SNELL requirements so it says on the packaging and the helmet itself.

just wondering now.....

No matter what helmet you would replace it with someone out there will tell you it's not the best choice.

No matter what helmet you would replace it with someone out there will tell you it's not the best choice.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with your Joe Rocket helmet, it is probably one of the better entry level helmets, but I'd say anything under $300 has a shelf life of about 2 seasons(depending on how often you ride). They don't use high end components and the majority of helmets are made in a generic factory that makes helmets for anyone. Until you've worn a premium helmet like Shoei or Arai, you really don't know what you're missing.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with your Joe Rocket helmet, it is probably one of the better entry level helmets, but I'd say anything under $300 has a shelf life of about 2 seasons(depending on how often you ride). They don't use high end components and the majority of helmets are made in a generic factory that makes helmets for anyone. Until you've worn a premium helmet like Shoei or Arai, you really don't know what you're missing.

Can anyone tell me why the premium helmets are better?? This really bothers me as I keep hearing different things. I get that fit is important but besides that what am I getting?
I bought a cheap helmet that is DOT and SNELL approved. Some people have told me the more expensive helmets are simply more expensive because of graphics and/or the brand and that it has virtually nothing to do with safety and as long as the fit is right that is all that matters. What's the deal?

at the Shoei and Arai price points you aren't paying soley for protection. Everything has to be minimum DOT rated. What you're paying for in a premium helmet are build quality, materials, and aerodynamic testing.

Fit is extremely important. get something that fits right or you won't be comfortable in it and it won't do it's job properly.

Personally, do I think that a Shoei or Arai is going to save me where some other Snell rated (or DOT for that matter) will not? probably not. Will it be lighter, and have a better build quality and nicer features? it friggin better for 2-3x the price.

Motorcyclist had an article a while back that basically said that SNELL isnt necessarily better for you if i recall. Very long and interesting article, but I cant find the link right now.

Joe Rocket helmets are made by HJC which is a good company. They have an excellent value.
Shoei and Arai are at price points not everyone can afford.
If you want top quality and decent pric, get a Shark. They're a bit hard to find here but it's a great product, superb quality. I have an RSX and RSR2 and they are on par with top Arais and Shoeis. My Joe Rocket is made in Korea btw.

Motorcyclist had an article a while back that basically said that SNELL isnt necessarily better for you if i recall. Very long and interesting article, but I cant find the link right now.

That is correct, in fact they found that some of the DOT only cheapo helmets were BETTER than the highfalutin big dollar helmets. The testing methods were solid and the results did not make the manufactures happy. Long story short the snell rating makes the internal liners too hard therefore the snell helmets transfer more Gs to the brain... In the end the helmets within a certain certification spec (eg DOT, Snell, ECE) provided very similar protection regardless of price.

Yet we still get people going on that to protect your head you need to spend big dollars... The best helmet is one that fits well and is comfortable, spend more to get the right fit if required but do not spend more because the misinformed think it provides better protection, fit first, than comfort features, than go for the bling...

The conspiracy theorists may be correct in this case that the manufactures are making sure the article is hard to find...

That is correct, in fact they found that some of the DOT only cheapo helmets were BETTER than the highfalutin big dollar helmets. The testing methods were solid and the results did not make the manufactures happy. Long story short the snell rating makes the internal liners too hard therefore the snell helmets transfer more Gs to the brain... In the end the helmets within a certain certification spec (eg DOT, Snell, ECE) provided very similar protection regardless of price.

Yet we still get people going on that to protect your head you need to spend big dollars... The best helmet is one that fits well and is comfortable, spend more to get the right fit if required but do not spend more because the misinformed think it provides better protection, fit first, than comfort features, than go for the bling...

The conspiracy theorists may be correct in this case that the manufactures are making sure the article is hard to find...

Here it is....

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

well it is not too hard to find if you know the exact title....

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why the premium helmets are better?? This really bothers me as I keep hearing different things. I get that fit is important but besides that what am I getting?
I bought a cheap helmet that is DOT and SNELL approved. Some people have told me the more expensive helmets are simply more expensive because of graphics and/or the brand and that it has virtually nothing to do with safety and as long as the fit is right that is all that matters. What's the deal?

I don't believe they are better by better I mean safer, they might have more features, air vents, graphics, and so on, but as far as safety is concerned, I figure if it meets DOT and or SNELL and if both even better, they are just as safe as any other helmet that meets these requirements.

but then again what do I know, I have only been riding for over 20 years, dirt bikes, motorbikes, snowmobiles, heck even a scooter, and all the helmets I have had performed well for me, no issues, then again I am only a casual rider and not a racer or in any competition, so I guess for me it's all good....

Weight is a part of it.

Back
Top Bottom