ice fishing with bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ice fishing with bike

life threatening, def not

but you have a 100% chance of dropping that bike (probably more than once) with those dinky 250 tires, which will be frozen stiff. And probably getting stuck. PS how are you planning on carrying all your ice fishing gear?

Anyways, when you film it, this has to be the theme music to your video.....

http://youtu.be/MK6TXMsvgQg

I do admit the tires are pretty dinky, correct me if I'm wrong but when riding on ice, I don't believe any other tire would make a difference unless they were studded. The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm of any potential problems I may run into. So can elaborate about the tires freezing?

Edit: to answer your question, I pack everything into my hiking backpack. Everything from my rods, tackle, and ice auger fits and is secure. The only thing is the portable tent which I can strap down onto my bike. And stuff the portable sonar into the tank bag. Its a pain in the ass walking 1+ kilometer on snow and ice hauling 50lb of gear on your back and another 25lb on each hand.
Its a good work out but I'm there to fish, not exercise.

Lion

Last edited:
No brain stormin going on here...

the only way i see this working out is with the side cart mayyybe if you are even able to go straight with it lmao
but then how where would you find the side cart to a ninja 250 . . . lemme know if you do LMAO
definately have to record it.

There's somebody in a cbr125 forum with dirt bike tires on their bike. If you do go that route, just don't plan on turning too quick.

And pics or it didn't happen.

I honestly can't decide whether serious or trolling, but either way, this is epic. If you're actually going to attempt this, definitely get video and YouTube that craziness. But be safe.

Actually, taking the bike to go fishing sounds awesome, though maybe more suited to more of a dual-sport/adventure type of bike, if nothing more than for the carrying capacity of such bikes. That said, the Ninja 250R is pretty versatile and can fit into a lot of spaces a larger bike or car definitely wouldn't squeeze into. I hated having to use my Cortech Sport bags on the 250R, yet I love the huge Givi hard cases on the V-Strom -- go figure.

I'd suggest wrapping the tires with duct tape with the sticky side out for traction.

Ever consider a cheap used ATV? One of those Chinese ones you can get dirt cheap.

Unfortunately not. I was hoping some old timer with some winter riding experience could chime in.

I was going to, but you wouldn't want to hear it anyway.

You do not ride a motorcycle that has not been modified on ice.
As soon as your front tire touches ice you will fall over and crash.
Even if you were able to sidecar the Ninja, you would have to stud the rear tire and then put a ski on the front.

Do me a favor and take your bicycle out tomorrow after it snows. Let me know how riding works out. Then imagine being on your motorcycle.

I am having such a hard time believing this is a real question. Good luck dude.

Back in the 1970's my brother did a bit of ice racing and the trick setup was #6 sheet metal screws in the knobs of dirt bike tires. The sheetmetal screws are short and have sharp hexagonal heads. You'd have to find small knobbie tires for your bike. Oh yeah, they are not tubeless tires.
There was no fear of falling, excellent traction.

Are the lakes even frozen thick enough? It's been the mildest winter I can remember, and I'm an older fart.

Given what you seem to enjoy, off road riding to fishing spots, ice fishing... perhaps you should consider a different type of bike that could allow you more application to these activities.

I have thought about getting a naked bike to suit my need more, its a bit more rugged but thats as far as id go. I feel that the touring bikes are too big (and expensive) for these types of things and dirt bikes arn't generally found on roadways.
I got the ninja because its cheap on insurance but also because it can fit (if i fold the mirrors and wiggle around) in my parking spot in my current arrangement. So i make due with what i have.
Getting a snow mobile or atv is out of the question because i dont have a truck to haul it to the lake.

The lake is plenty frozen, even simcoe is mostly frozen except for the main center of the lake. I've seen small cars up the big trucks driving around in the areas i normally fish. So there is no fear of going through the ice. if i stud the tires, i wont be able to ride on the normal roads so i wont be able to get there at all.

I dont expect to be doing any sharp turns (or any turning for that fact). I have thought about equipping some sort of removable sled to the front tire. Since it doesn't spin, it should be easy enough.

This is a seriouse question and any answers/experience/forsight is greatly appreciated.

I have thought about getting a naked bike to suit my need more, its a bit more rugged but thats as far as id go. I feel that the touring bikes are too big (and expensive) for these types of things and dirt bikes arn't generally found on roadways.
I got the ninja because its cheap on insurance but also because it can fit (if i fold the mirrors and wiggle around) in my parking spot in my current arrangement. So i make due with what i have.
Getting a snow mobile or atv is out of the question because i dont have a truck to haul it to the lake.

The lake is plenty frozen, even simcoe is mostly frozen except for the main center of the lake. I've seen small cars up the big trucks driving around in the areas i normally fish. So there is no fear of going through the ice. if i stud the tires, i wont be able to ride on the normal roads so i wont be able to get there at all.

I dont expect to be doing any sharp turns (or any turning for that fact). I have thought about equipping some sort of removable sled to the front tire. Since it doesn't spin, it should be easy enough.

This is a seriouse question and any answers/experience/forsight is greatly appreciated.

In all seriousness, I think that you'll be out there with the rear wheel spinning and the bike flopping around and it'll be a huge hassle. On days where I didn't feel like putting the snowmobile on the truck and pull a little sled out to the ice on foot. I really think that this may be your best option.

In all seriousness, I think that you'll be out there with the rear wheel spinning and the bike flopping around and it'll be a huge hassle. On days where I didn't feel like putting the snowmobile on the truck and pull a little sled out to the ice on foot. I really think that this may be your best option.

dammit, you're probably right. Id hate to be stuck out there. The guys on dirt bikes that i met out there were riding with such ease. Something like this.

[video=youtube_share;pZq18irDRcc]http://youtu.be/pZq18irDRcc[/video]

Was out on simcoe on family day and the weather and condition seem perfect to try it out. I didn't even need a jacket or hut while fishing, it was so damn hot. I guess i might aswell bite the bullet and get a sled to pull my ****, i barely walked past the 1kilometer mark before fatigued but a sled i guess will make things easier.

dammit, you're probably right. Id hate to be stuck out there. The guys on dirt bikes that i met out there were riding with such ease. Something like this.

[video=youtube_share;pZq18irDRcc]http://youtu.be/pZq18irDRcc[/video]

Was out on simcoe on family day and the weather and condition seem perfect to try it out. I didn't even need a jacket or hut while fishing, it was so damn hot. I guess i might aswell bite the bullet and get a sled to pull my ****, i barely walked past the 1kilometer mark before fatigued but a sled i guess will make things easier.

Well I'm usually pulling gear for a few guys, a gas auger, food and a few bevies so it's necessary. My sled is made of plywood with sides and 2x4 blocks on the bottom mounted to old downhill skis. It's a home build but it works awesome.

Unless you are familiar, and I mean intimately familiar with the area in question you should think again before trying this. Every body of water has it's own peculiarities and unless you know them you are risking your life by venturing onto it. This has been an atypical year for ice formation and many areas that usually have ice thicknesses sufficient to carry a vehicle are seeing pedestrians neck deep in frigid water. The ice on the lakes around me has been particularly treacherous this season and several locals have managed to sink their vehicles.

Traction issues aside (you will have exactly zero, by the way - it's nothing like riding in sand), the fact that a snowmobile can safely traverse a section of ice in NO means indicates that ice to be capable of supporting a rider on a motorcycle. Look at the difference in the way weight is distributed: two skis and several square feet of track vs two tiny contact patches at the bottom of your tires.

Back
Top Bottom