HTA 172 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HTA 172

-Maverick-

Just making sure everyone is aware of this change. In an under 80 kph zone, 40 over will get you pinched for stunting.

"Previously, stunt driving was defined as driving 50 km/h or more above the posted speed limit. However, with the introduction of the Moving Ontarians More Safely Act (“MOMS”), and the passing of Bill 282, this has changed. Now, where the speed limit is less than 80 km/h, you can be charged with stunt driving for going 40 over that speed limit. The government’s aim for the MOMS Act was to protect young drivers and vulnerable road users."

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Is the double the posted speed limit law not still on the books? That used to be an auto court date.

It's a court date for 40 over now no need for anything else.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

No I meant that at 80 it would have been a court date already., Pre 172. I wondered if that wasn't a charge anymore.

Is the double the posted speed limit law not still on the books? That used to be an auto court date.
The way i remember it, 150% of the posted speed limit got you into a in depth discussion about criminal code dangerous driving

I got pinched yesterday afternoon up on Hockley Road. What a stressful day. The OPP officer said he clocked me doing 100 km/h in a 50km/h zone though I firmly believe I was doing 80km/h in a 70km/h zone. 50 km over is automatic HTA 172 (1) and I experienced the full extent of what that charge entails yesterday. If you're going riding up there please be aware, in particular the section where I was caught between 5 Line East and Airport Road, once entirely 70 km/h, now drops down to to 50 km/h. Apparently local residents have, in recent years, successfully petitioned the city to lower the speed limit in these and other sections of Hockley Road.

Let's all do the posted speed limit on every road and highway for a solid month. We will jam up the roads beyond belief. The soccer moms and grocery getters will soon be begging for increased speed limits.
It would be nice to see a caravan pulled over for speeding in lieu of the usual crotch rocket.

"MOMS Act" still isn't any less disgusting of a moniker
Let's all do the posted speed limit on every road and highway for a solid month. We will jam up the roads beyond belief. The soccer moms and grocery getters will soon be begging for increased speed limits.
It would be nice to see a caravan pulled over for speeding in lieu of the usual crotch rocket.
You'll probably never find them now but there was a bunch of these stories in the year following HTA 172 being made law

I got pinched yesterday afternoon up on Hockley Road. What a stressful day. The OPP officer said he clocked me doing 100 km/h in a 50km/h zone though I firmly believe I was doing 80km/h in a 70km/h zone. 50 km over is automatic HTA 172 (1) and I experienced the full extent of what that charge entails yesterday. If you're going riding up there please be aware, in particular the section where I was caught between 5 Line East and Airport Road, once entirely 70 km/h, now drops down to to 50 km/h. Apparently local residents have, in recent years, successfully petitioned the city to lower the speed limit in these and other sections of Hockley Road.
Watch out on River rd. as well. 50km/h along most of it now. That speed is painfully slow. I ride it early in the day and ride it the way it feels comfortable for me. Not crazy fast by any stretch but certainly above the posted max.
Would be painful for the locals to always now adhere to the posted 50. They wanted it, now they have it.

sorry to hear and the experience will have been stressful - are you planning to contest?

sorry to hear and the experience will have been stressful - are you planning to contest?
I honestly don't know. I have a clean record; this is my first speeding ticket on a motorcycle, I've been riding for 8 years now. I always ride responsibly, wear full gear and never engage in anything resembling aggressive or unsafe riding. I will probably plea bargain to a lesser 49-over, pay the fines, cut my losses and move on. Has anyone else been through this?

I honestly don't know. I have a clean record; this is my first speeding ticket on a motorcycle, I've been riding for 8 years now. I always ride responsibly, wear full gear and never engage in anything resembling aggressive or unsafe riding. I will probably plea bargain to a lesser 49-over, pay the fines, cut my losses and move on. Has anyone else been through this?
I think the standard deal is 29 over for a first offender, they heavy part is the impounding, particularly if it's an OPP that caught you. OPP are notorious for handing 172 vehicles over to criminal tow operators. The impounding includes the cost of a tow, motorcycle surcharge, _ daily pound rates - then you have to pay a licence reinstatement fee. About 2K for all that.

Paralegals (Xcopper, Pointts etc) are about $1200. They do not fight your case, they plea you to 29 over or careless depending on the prosecutor they are working with. You could likely do same or better on your own, just remember to never admit to guilt when dealing directly with a prosecutor -- that can ink you on the spot.

Get a lawyer. Not a paralegal.

Back
Top Bottom