How to Prevent Your Motorcycle From Being Stolen? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to Prevent Your Motorcycle From Being Stolen?

EatSleepRIDE

Hi, EatSleepRIDE is working on an article about how to prevent your motorcycle from being stolen out of a condo parking garage. Here's a few questions for you:

1. Do you feel there's an epidemic with motorcycles being stolen out of condo parking garages?

2. What about public parking garages, shopping malls?

3. How do the thieves do it?

4. Do you have any tips you can share on how NOT to get your motorcycles stolen?

5. Should bikers stop buying motorcycle parts on ebay?

Any photos you have of anti-theft tactics would be appreciated.

Thank you! Looking forward to your opinion on this.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Usually a crew and a van
4. Keep it out of sight
5. No - there are legitimate business out there

Hi, EatSleepRIDE is working on an article about how to prevent your motorcycle from being stolen out of a condo parking garage. Here's a few questions for you:

1. Do you feel there's an epidemic with motorcycles being stolen out of condo parking garages?

Yes, Because they are easy targets

Too high traffic

Old van, stolen plates and a couple guys to lift it.

4. Do you have any tips you can share on how NOT to get your motorcycles stolen?

Don't park in Condos overnight, get a storage unit, add as many anti-theft devices to deter a theif or make it harder on them. They want easy and fast.

No, because there are cheap un stolen parts on there and if not you would have to deal with salvage yards like zdenos which no one wants to do.

No photos, but the harder the theifs have to work, the less likely it will get stolen.

^^^

Locks and chains MAY work. It doesn't necessarily have to be impossible to steal as long as there are other SS in the garage that are easier. It's like the joke about out running the bear. I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun YOU!
All you can do is make it difficult and have comp insurance.

Best you can do is make it as hard as possible and hope someone else is making it easy... Thieves usually take the path of least resistance. They will always take something that is worth more and protected less...

What I did, mine (Ducati) was never stolen over about 8 years in DT in my apartment and then condo:

Strong cable locked to something that could not be moved (one place it was around an electrical cable, another it was locked to my rear stand that was in my parking space locker--behind the steel door).
Alarm.
Kept the bike covered with a generic cover.
Kept the bike at the very end of the spot, away from the casual traffic.
When I had a car, I used it to also block it in.

None of that will totally prevent it BUT all it takes is one (or a few) other person(s) to not do the above (hopefully with better bikes) for your bike to be safe.

Personally I just use one of these.
So far its been pretty affective

I just slap a few on these on the bike..also repels women.

hyosung_logo_by_jonny_rocket-d61osav.png

[video=youtube;O2joBksIrWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2joBksIrWU[/video]

Heres how they stole my old bike.
Skip to about 2:15

magpul11.jpg

Personally I just use one of these.
So far its been pretty affective

Aww so cute. Brings back memories :eek:

Sent from my tablet using my paws

bring it to the track, sooner or later you'll crash it a few times then no one will touch it. That or pour about a 1/2 quart of oil underneath it, no one is dumb enough to steal a bike leaking that much oil.

Ride an ugly, cheap bike.

Or one that isn't generally theft fodder. To start with that means don't ride a SS, since there's a huge market for parted out SS bikes. Does everyone who bought a used part off eBay really know where it came from?

if youre parking in a shopping mall parking lot and want to make it tough, put the bike in gear and a disk lock on the front w/ the steering lock. obviously this isn't fool proof anyone can lift a bike with 2 or 3 people but if they can't this helps against that skateboard trick that they use. the lock on the front makes rolling the front wheel more difficult, and putting the bike in gear makes rolling the rear more difficult.

since malls are typically have high populations it would be a plus if your disk lock had an alarm.

again, not fool prooof but its something to keep in mind.

Have bikes been jacked from malls a lot?

Why don't you guys get a hells angels branded motorcycle cover. May give them a second thought on stealing your bike

Have bikes been jacked from malls a lot?

Why don't you guys get a hells angels branded motorcycle cover. May give them a second thought on stealing your bike

Or an SOA cover! That'll show them the owner is a bad *** and not to be dealt with!

Last I heard they are not afraid of Internet Rambos :)... Of course a gun does you no good unless you are there when it happens.

Empty shotgun shell casings laying around the bike might work better. It actually did for my Jeep when I had problems with people breaking into it (would leave them on the dash). Just make sure it doesn't also bring some other unwanted attention from the police or the condo board.

I should add, if the bike is at a house (usually not as big a theft problem as condos) you could kick it up a notch with buckshot in the wall near the bike and a nasty red stain on the floor. Would make them say Whiskey Tango Foxtrot when they recon the site. Condo board will likely frown on this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom