How to get 600v | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to get 600v

Another factor is privacy.

Straight long term storage is fairly simple. Drop off seasonal equipment at the end of the season and pick it up at the start of the next season.

Day to day stuff can have delivery people, equipment service people, customers wandering about looking for a washroom etc.
Nothing like that.

IME for a larger commercial building there will be a main service (600v or...) and then transformers to drop it to 120/208 throughout the building and/or in each suite.

Sounds like the OP isn't going to do it but my guess is that would have been the case, 600v feed to the building with a transformer to get the 120/208 post service/meter. 120 for obvious use and any device that is looking for 240v will instead use two phases and get 208v...
Still in the research stage, already have 120/240 at the building. In talking with hydro they would consider this a new install, so that could be a positive factor in pricing. The negative is from the pole to my building is almost a KM that is a lot of line to bury as I don't want any poles on my property.

Still in the research stage, already have 120/240 at the building. In talking with hydro they would consider this a new install, so that could be a positive factor in pricing. The negative is from the pole to my building is almost a KM that is a lot of line to bury as I don't want any poles on my property.
When my parents asked about getting a 240 drop to the garage, IIRC that was about 3 poles and north of $20K. Then the monthly service fee for a second account. They chose not to go that way.

When my parents asked about getting a 240 drop to the garage, IIRC that was about 3 poles and north of $20K. Then the monthly service fee for a second account. They chose not to go that way.
I'm still in the free stage of research even if I don't do it, I'm interested in what is involved and the costs.

I'm still in the free stage of research even if I don't do it, I'm interested in what is involved and the costs.
The more you know the better.

Keep your eyes on the surplus auctions. I'm pretty sure the cheapest upfront route to three phase 600V would be a surplus generator. Many have zero hours on them (government stupidity).

For instance, here's a 100KW sound attenuated 600V 3 phase with 1400 hours in Mont St Hilaire (Montreal burb with a delicious italian restaurant). I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for <<$5000. Operating cost will obviously be far higher than power from the grid. This was the first one I found. I am sure there would be some much closer if you don't want a road trip. I suspect 100KW will be far more power than you need but maybe you could put a Tesla charging station at the gate and make back some money that way.

Seems like a good use of a tractor with a specific attachment…

Seems like a good use of a tractor with a specific attachment…
Isn't his tractor <25 hp? And that would fix his tractor in place as I'm sure his paying tenant wouldn't appreciate it if he didn't have power when he showed up. I doubt you'd find a surplus PTO generator and new would cost a bloody fortune.

Isn't his tractor <25 hp? And that would fix his tractor in place as I'm sure his paying tenant wouldn't appreciate it if he didn't have power when he showed up. I doubt you'd find a surplus PTO generator and new would cost a bloody fortune.
You’ve met me…do I look like I know the first thing about tractors?

The more you know the better.

Keep your eyes on the surplus auctions. I'm pretty sure the cheapest upfront route to three phase 600V would be a surplus generator. Many have zero hours on them (government stupidity).

For instance, here's a 100KW sound attenuated 600V 3 phase with 1400 hours in Mont St Hilaire (Montreal burb with a delicious italian restaurant). I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for <<$5000. Operating cost will obviously be far higher than power from the grid. This was the first one I found. I am sure there would be some much closer if you don't want a road trip. I suspect 100KW will be far more power than you need but maybe you could put a Tesla charging station at the gate and make back some money that way.

You can also get rotary phase converters. Basically a box with a 220v 1ph motor spinning a 600v 3ph generator. Not as efficient as a straight 3 phase feed, but not too bad at about 10% conversion loss to heat. they are relatively chesp to buy, easy to install and way more efficient than a gas or diesel gennie.

You can also get rotary phase converters. Basically a box with a 220v 1ph motor spinning a 600v 3ph generator. Not as efficient as a straight 3 phase feed, but not too bad at about 10% conversion loss to heat. they are relatively chesp to buy, easy to install and way more efficient than a gas or diesel gennie.
Except that he won't be able to make more than 8kw like that. Limited by the 220 service a genny is by far the least expensive option in the short term.

Sent from the future

Except that he won't be able to make more than 8kw like that. Limited by the 220 service a genny is by far the least expensive option in the short term.

Sent from the future
More than that. With rotary phase and voltage conversion loss, 100a@220vac gets about 18kw constant power. Double that with a 200a service.

You.need to be running heat machines to be up in that range of power.

Interesting possibilities, every solution comes with a problem.
Think I'll go back and discuss with machine operator who opened this can of worms.

Back
Top Bottom