How to get 600v | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to get 600v

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not an electrical guy.

How does one go about getting a 600v connection on their property?
For running machinery etc.

I currently have 120 and 240 at the location with a breaker box etc.

I'm guessing the utility company and permits are required for this?

I received a nice rental offer for a section of my barn, but 600v is required so I want to investigate.
Knowing there are some electrical guru's on GTAM I figured I'd ask here as well.

What you have today is a regular 120/240 single phase service.

600v (600/347) is a three phase service (600v between any two of the three phases and 347 between any single phase and neutral. You will likely need to call hydro and make sure you are sitting down when (IF) they talk numbers.... Odds are there is no 600v running nearby so they will need to install a transformer just for you to step down the three phase 13kv, 27kv or whatever primary is running nearby.

Technically there are "devices" (inverter, rotary phase converter, etc.) that can give you "three phase" from a single phase feed and then you need a step-up transformer to bump up to 600v but my guess is if he is asking for 600v he may be looking for more (and better) power than this will provide. Multiple machines at once. I have never used such a device but I have seen them, usually when someone has one industrial three phase machine they want to run in their home workshop setting.

In three phase there is also delta or Y configuration... if you go further that may come up.

Last edited:
Thanks, I actually know some of this (I'm a bit smarter than I thought)
He's a single operator so I guess 1 machine at a time when we consider total load.
I agree, Where I am I'm not sure if there is any close 600v connections, but to fair lots of farming around here so it could be?
I've seen the devices you mention, but not sure if they would serve a purpose.
What I should find out is if his motors are multi voltage, would going to a lower voltage in three phase be a better solution?

Step up transformer
How many amps do you need? You can boost the voltage, at the cost of amperage.

IF, and that's a big IF, your power supplier offers 600v, you will need to re-wire to the pole, a new meter, entry and cut off. I wanted 3 phase, and there is 3 phase literally across the street and it was going to be around $10,000 to bring 3 phase to the mast on my house. (Post a picture of the power pole where you draw power and we might be able to tell you if there is 3 phase)
If you want to power big motors, you want 3 phase (they're a lot cheaper to run)

Step up transformer
How many amps do you need? You can boost the voltage, at the cost of amperage.

IF, and that's a big IF, your power supplier offers 600v, you will need to re-wire to the pole, a new meter, entry and cut off. I wanted 3 phase, and there is 3 phase literally across the street and it was going to be around $10,000 to bring 3 phase to the mast on my house. (Post a picture of the power pole where you draw power and we might be able to tell you if there is 3 phase)
If you want to power big motors, you want 3 phase (they're a lot cheaper to run)
Yea, if possible I want to keep Hydro out of this as I know the costs would be ridiculous.
I'll have to have another discuss to see exactly what he has and what he requires. He is in the unit beside mine currently and thee wiring in this place is questionable at best, but it is 600v as it is in an industrial area. I'll take a closer look at the pole and post a picture.

Thanks, I actually know some of this (I'm a bit smarter than I thought)
He's a single operator so I guess 1 machine at a time when we consider total load.
I agree, Where I am I'm not sure if there is any close 600v connections, but to fair lots of farming around here so it could be?
I've seen the devices you mention, but not sure if they would serve a purpose.
What I should find out is if his motors are multi voltage, would going to a lower voltage in three phase be a better solution?
You need 3 phase so new wires from the closest 3 phase service I was quoted $290000 here I declined the offer.

Sent from the future

You need 3 phase so new wires from the closest 3 phase service I was quoted $290000 here I declined the offer.

Sent from the future
Did you add a zero there accidentally??

As for getting 600V to the property without involving hydro…step up’s are the way to roll. Let me know if you need a contact at Smith and Long. Know a few guys there, and they sell that type of stuff…or could point you in the right (expensive) direction.

To get the real numbers the 600 volt details are needed, amperage, type of load (Inductive resistive etc), Residential maximum is 300 volts but I'm not sure about farms. A friend opted to replace a three phase motor on a used industrial lathe going for 240 volts single phase.

To get the real numbers the 600 volt details are needed, amperage, type of load (Inductive resistive etc), Residential maximum is 300 volts but I'm not sure about farms. A friend opted to replace a three phase motor on a used industrial lathe going for 240 volts single phase.
Yeah, need more details on the machines for sure.

I installed a 600v 3 phase service in a barn in a rural area just north of Hamilton a few years back and I don’t remember there being a significant charge by the utility company for this, other farms or businesses adjacent to him must have already had 600V. That was about 20 years ago. The guy repaired cranes for a living and needed 3 phase power to test motors and other equipment so he was able to write the cost off.FYI if you only have 120/240v single phase power currently, you can only step it up to 600v single phase with a transformer. There are other various devices that you can use to get 3 phase from single phase but they’re not cheap.

Last edited:
A guy that I used work with had an inverter to run his milling machine and lathe . I think that it cost him about $11K used from the USA.

Another question: Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall a restriction on number of services that can be run to a building. Understandably, One would expect when a main is disconnected anything in the building is safe to work on.

Maybe one of our more knowledgeable gurus can clarify.

If you're going through this exercise, make sure you understand what foundation is required too. It may not be an issue or it could be a fatal flaw depending on what machinery the guy is bringing in.
Good point...equipment requiring 600V isn't light, or cheap. We use them on our equipment, and there's zero chance a small bobcat would be able to carry any of those. Heavy duty overhead cranes, larger equipment to move it around (forklifts as a minimum).

Lots to consider besides just power, but only @Jampy00 knows the details of the request.

Another question: Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall a restriction on number of services that can be run to a building. Understandably, One would expect when a main is disconnected anything in the building is safe to work on.

Maybe one of our more knowledgeable gurus can clarify.
I have seen sites with huge labeling about multiple power sources. I doubt there is a code limit if things are properly labeled and identified. In this case, I suspect he'd only have one service.

Given the costs involved from hydro one and on site, I won't be surprised if this isn't financially viable. If it is, that's awesome and having 600v three phase opens up a huge supply of cheap machines with minimal competition as most can't be bothered with the hassle/expense of getting them working at home.

Back
Top Bottom