Help with bicycle purchase | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with bicycle purchase

Since there's some bike experts here, I thought I'd ask: I got a Norco Scrambler I bought for $500 in 2008. Specifically this: 2008 Norco SCRAMBLER – Specs, Comparisons, Reviews – 99 Spokes

What is it lacking compared to mountain bikes in the same class (entry level hard tail) being built today? Any reason to sell it and buy something modern assuming I'm just a casual biker?
Most bikes now will be:
1x10 instead of 3x7. Lots of gear overlap on 21 speed so you don't lose as much range as you expect
27.5 or 29" wheels instead of 26
Maybe lighter (but probably not at the $500 price point)
Aluminum has a finite fatigue life and if yours has been ridden a lot, it may develop cracks
Suntour fork isn't the best (but as above at $500, I wouldnt expect better).

If you are happy with it, I wouldnt bother switching.

Do you want ebikes to make it easier (at higher cost)?

How far/fast do you plan on riding? Fat bikes are fun as they can go most places even along beaches but they are slow. If you are cruising around enjoying the experience, slow may be entirely acceptable.

I don't think a 5 speed bike is a thing you can buy. Most bikes now with gears will have one chainring at the front and 10 speeds with a derailleur at the back. You can get fewer gears if you get internal geared hubs and they are awesome for a lot of reasons but the hub alone costs more than you probably want to spend on a bike.

Budget? Years ago we bought my BIL one of the sport chek clearance specials that oioioi recommended. I have ridden better bikes but for the money, it was pretty damned good and it still works fine.

At almost any price point, the less suspension the better. I doubt you can buy a mountain bike with a rigid fork anymore (other than fat bikes which have rigid forks as the tires work as suspension). A cheap full suspension bike is a miserable experience with lots of bobbing up and down and not so much moving forward.

If you want you bikes tuned up, bring them by. It normally doesn't take long to get them working again.
Big no on ebike and fat tires. Oh and thanks for the fixin' offer.

What I should expect to pay for a simple, reasonable weight, rigid, mountainish bike and set-up from a local shop. Is $500 a pipe dream?

Last edited:
@timtune here's a link to my thread, not sure if there's anything there that can help Cyclists need your input: Giant vs Raleigh

we purchased ours (went with the Giant) at Gears in Port Credit...they've been a lot of fun and I believe we're going on our 4th summer with them...we looked at the Rocky Mountain brand that @Sochi mentioned and they look really nice too...possibly going to upgrade this year, or next, depending on how much we like camping in our new to us trailer (we're bringing the bikes with in order to ride different areas)...Gears also has a location in Burlington close to the Oakville border

another dealer we like (went to see them last summer and people are nice) is Pedalinx in Mississauga on Derry Road (west of Winston Churchill)

We have a repairman from Reliance here and we were talking mountain bikes and he just reminded me about Cyclepath in Oakville on Speers Rd, just east of 4th Line on the north side...they have 4.9 star with 692 reviews...

We have a repairman from Reliance here and we were talking mountain bikes and he just reminded me about Cyclepath in Oakville on Speers Rd, just east of 4th Line on the north side...they have 4.9 star with 692 reviews...
What did you get? Ridgid? # of gears?

Giant hybrid ftw
Tires have mountain bike-ish tread but are narrower which is great for road path or trail. Front suspension to help when going gets rough, but can be locked out when not required.

Sounds like you have a fair grasp of what you want, something with a basic front fork should suffice
Cable actuated v brakes
Maybe a step through model is worth considering?
I like 29" tires, it really smooths out the ride over small road imperfections

Sounds like you have a fair grasp of what you want, something with a basic front fork should suffice
Cable actuated v brakes
Maybe a step through model is worth considering?
I like 29" tires, it really smooths out the ride over small road imperfections
Are v brakes a thing anymore? I thought almost all offroadish bikes had gone to discs (and many on road too).

We were in Sudbury last summer and looked at some Giant hybrids...the one thing I like about Giant is that they have a men's line and a women's line (Liv)...we didn't know that when hubby first bought the ATXs, but now that we do, the next ones we get will be gender specific...the Liv line has geometry that is more geared for the female body (shorter reach and breadth for the handlebars for example)...bikes are similar with regards to components (as long as you're looking at the same line), just built slightly different...

And another thing to remember about Giant, their model lineup has several sub-models...so for example, the Talon goes from Talon 0 to Talon 5...the Talon 0 is actually the top of that line, with the Talon 5 being that model's entry level...other manufacturers (Cannondale for example) is the opposite...something we learned last summer...

I personally love and ride Rocky Mountain - it's our CAnadian Company and bikes are great quality for money. But these are "real" bikes (not your wallmart variety) with proper price tag. Lot's of dealers in Ontario. Great support, especially when you establish a good relationship with your local shop. I buy everything at Spoke O'Motion - Newmarket's Bicycle Shop Since 1988. who's the small local family business with many good brands in store... Should be someone like this in your area.

Old-school.

20240503_215107.jpg

I would advise you to go to a few shops and text ride different bikes. Get a feel for how it feels, are the brake levers and gear placement comfortable for you. I would also not buy from a place that will not take the time to fit you to the bike. You did not mention a budget, but anything under $500.00 is very basic, $500 - 1k is entry level. Most have very similar components. These are rigid or front suspension bikes. Full suspension, you’re looking at 2k to get started.
If you don’t mind used you can find some great deals on pink bikes. Lots of people went out and purchased bikes during the pandemic that they do not use, so there are some good deals to be had.

Just one?

AP1GczNWX6ttcAnbGcU5ECRyEV8qKLaOc9RHvb5eiV1--gg6C0rsKqUx2ctPx_dZC08JtwuO-NwOeJsGP4dIpLslJAUAHcHSniUgxgcFPYmNTYBu-ZdqhE3Dh09o1duLKxMZ5LjEWCCL6n-ES8qyFztztcpV=w686-h919-s-no-gm

Since there's some bike experts here, I thought I'd ask: I got a Norco Scrambler I bought for $500 in 2008. Specifically this: 2008 Norco SCRAMBLER – Specs, Comparisons, Reviews – 99 Spokes

What is it lacking compared to mountain bikes in the same class (entry level hard tail) being built today? Any reason to sell it and buy something modern assuming I'm just a casual biker?
@GreyGhost summed it up nicely. Really if you are a casual biker and not doing any hardcore single track I do not see any technical justification for a new entry level bike. Newer bikes will have slightly different geometry and will have larger diameter tires. Maybe 1X drivetrain. None are going to be causal rider game changers.

Big no on ebike and fat tires. Oh and thanks for the fixin' offer.

What I should expect to pay for a simple, reasonable weight, rigid, mountainish bike and set-up from a local shop. Is $500 a pipe dream?
If you find a deal $500 before tax is not out of the question (and you may even find something for much cheaper on clearance) for what you need but going to $600 will open up some better options. An online check, many LBSs have inventory in that range, again the industry has some issues so deep discounts are not out of the question). A hybrid with slightly wider tires (say 1.5 inch/38 mm) might be a good fit as long as the trails are not fully offroad but more groomed gravel with the odd root or rock and paved trails. If it is more single track you may want to consider entry mountain instead.

If going hybrid and the above mentioned groomed gravel or paved trails I would likely skip the suspension fork (adds weight, and not a lot of value) and I would not rule out V-Brakes but mechanical disk is getting common. Specially at the entry level some brands like to bling it out with suspension, fancy looking brakes but then cheap out of the drivetrain...

Go, try them out, pay attention to fit, don't rush and shop around. Avoid the mistake of buying the wrong size to save a few bucks (when that is all they have on sale).

A hybrid with slightly wider tires (say 1.5 inch/38 mm) might be a good fit as long as the trails are not fully offroad but more groomed gravel with the odd root or rock and paved trails. If it is more single track you may want to consider entry mountain instead.

Most of the trails around here are rideable on slicks. If they're really dry and blued, slicks are actually faster.

OP, if you go the SportChek route, hmu first -- there's these ridiculous bar code offers that I come across sometimes that can get you an additional 30-70% off, and the codes are good up to $4000
They get passed around on socials but most have lots of room left.
I also recommend getting a Triangle rewards card. Bonus CT points plus register it and there are bonus offers weekly.

And my brother has had good luck buying Giant bikes directly from the store at Keele & Hwy 7 here in Vaughan

@GreyGhost I still have a bike with those old v/c type brakes.
2 shops have been unable to get the rear to grip properly.
Hasn't been a problem because I've been riding my oldest's CCM with discs that my brother gifted me (which my kid took ownership of, then moved out, and now wants to use to get around)
If it's possible for you to take a look at it, it would be appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

OP, if you go the SportChek route, hmu first -- there's these ridiculous bar code offers that I come across sometimes that can get you an additional 30-70% off, and the codes are good up to $4000
They get passed around on socials but most have lots of room left.
I also recommend getting a Triangle rewards card. Bonus CT points plus register it and there are bonus offers weekly.

And my brother has had good luck buying Giant bikes directly from the store at Keele & Hwy 7 here in Vaughan

@GreyGhost I still have a bike with those old v/c type brakes.
2 shops have been unable to get the rear to grip properly.
Hasn't been a problem because I've been riding my oldest's CCM with discs that my brother gifted me (which my kid took ownership of, then moved out, and now wants to use to get around)
If it's possible for you to take a look at it, it would be appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
That's strange. Bike shops are normally competent. Steel rims? When steel rims are wet, braking is a gentle suggestion. Happy to have a look I you bring it by. I try to be in vaighan as little a possible.

Back
Top Bottom