Help/advice needed on buying a tourer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help/advice needed on buying a tourer

Agreed. I've seen the next gen 1300's priced as low as $3500. Some have almost 100,000km but it's a Honda and I expect it will go reliably for many more km beyond that.
If you're looking for a cheap couch ride, the GL1500s are among the best deals around. You can find clean 1/2 used-up bikes with under 100K for $2200-$3500. They are easy to handle, pull like a tractor, and pretty cheap to run. They are big and heavy, great for slab touring, can wear you down on blue highways. You get tons of element protection, comfortable seats, reverse, huge luggage capacity, comms, air pump, cruise, ... almost everything except FI and ride modes.

ST1100 is a great bike, but the ST1300 is even better. These aren't the 'comfy couch' type cruisers, they are sport tourers that play best on blue highways off the slab. Can be equipped with backrests and add a tailbag you'll have enough luggage space for touring. I've met LOTS of ST riders with well over 300,000km, a few with 1/2 million KMs on their bikes and still going strong.

I can echo the Honda ST1100 or ST1300 comments. They are dirt cheap compared to many other bikes and, reasonably maintained, will last 200,000 - 300,000 km. My 1100 had 140,000 km on it when I sold it, ran great, used no oil. Friend's 2007 1300 had 210,000 km, same great shape. Another guy, 2005 1300 sold with 250,000 km. At U.S. events I attend not uncommon to see bikes with 200,000 - 250,000 miles on them. Honda's build quality is excellent on these bikes + there are great forums to support DIY mechanics.

Last edited:
Further to the ST1300 suggestion, here's one with tons of extras, 91,000km @ $3500.

Honestly, I know plenty of people prefer the FJR1300 but I've never seen anyone with a frowny face riding one of these.

I've toured on both, the ST1300 doesn't pack the same punch as an FJR, but it's more comfortable and easier to ride, particularly for 2 up.

Caution on the ST1300 - they generate an incredible amount of heat. Expect the heat to toast batteries every 2 years. The heat they radiate to the rider is unbearable for me in stop-and-go urban traffic.

Thanks everyone - really did not expect this to trigger such a discussion. The St1100/1300s look nice, but I am now leaning more towards a cruiser-style.

Someone here has a 2005 Vulcan Nomad for sale. What do you guys think of this bike?

If you're looking for a "el cheapo" sport tourer, don't over look the Kawi Concourse. Lots of cheap ones out there, bullet proof ZX10 motor, shaftie

... I HATE them. Riding a concourse I can't forget there's a ZX10 motor in there and so I HAVE TO wind the thing up... so now I'm doing terminal velocity on a land pig.... EVERY time.

I'm a bit biased with the BMW R1200RT. Checks a lot of boxes too. Doesn't come without it's share of issues but most are not show stoppers. You can pick up one for under $6k. Bullitt proof boxer capable of going forever.

Back
Top Bottom