Help/advice needed on buying a tourer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help/advice needed on buying a tourer

Jay Alexander

I need help guys! Looking to get a tourer on the cheap. Full back seat, bags and everything. What are important are value, reliability, and comfort.

2010 Kawasaki Voyager with 65,000 km. Tires "new" at 4 years, so expecting to replace those in 2 seasons maybe. Looks clean though.

Is this worth it for $6500 certified? Your help is appreciated!

I need help guys! Looking to get a tourer on the cheap. Full back seat, bags and everything. What are important are value, reliability, and comfort.

2010 Kawasaki Voyager with 65,000 km. Tires "new" at 4 years, so expecting to replace those in 2 seasons maybe. Looks clean though.

Is this worth it for $6500 certified? Your help is appreciated!

I Googled "Voyager Problems" and there were numerous comments and videos. TBH a lot of the authors were just talking to be heard. I'm a Goldwing guy myself and therefore biased. They list for a lot more $$ unless you go high mileage. Flat 6 vs V twin.

I Googled "Voyager Problems" and there were numerous comments and videos. TBH a lot of the authors were just talking to be heard. I'm a Goldwing guy myself and therefore biased. They list for a lot more $$ unless you go high mileage. Flat 6 vs V twin.
Thanks for replying! I don't have goldwing money, which is why I'm looking at this budget tourer. I googled the same thing, but on deeper dives into this bike, I think the only real issue(s) can be solved by an ECU flash that I heard is recommended. The flash solves issues like possible overheating, not enough air, smoothing a twitchy throttle and power delivery, and possibly eeking out a little more power.

Current owner says they have no issues with the bike.. Googling "xyz problems" will always return lists of things, even for goldwings.

I would go out and test ride if you can. I always thought I wanted a Goldwing, until I rode one.
Beautiful bike, lots of power, but I found the "road couch" nickname appropriate.
I imagine that the Voyageur would be somewhat the same, although the older models would be a little rougher, and more suited to my taste.

OP mentions a need for a "full back seat". Pretty sure that's code for "I'm bringing the Squeeze".
When I decided the Squeeze and I should tour, first and foremost was her comfort, so I got a Wing.
Once you have one all that lockable storage it becomes addictive.
When I traveled alone on it there was so much space one saddle bag could be devoted to beer and ice.

@timtune is right. I want something for both of us to ride long distances, but also not doing cross-continent trips. Hence why I don't want to invest heavily in a secondary, less used bike. I'm hesitant about an 80s wing. Hell, if the price is right, I'd even go with this C50 - I know it's much weaker, but could be something to dip my toes into touring with.

If you're petite it won't matter, but if you're hefty, you'll have to look carefully at the gvwr, and the weights of the wet bike, you, the squeeze, and all of the crap you want to take, for the motorcycle you're interested in.

Appreciate all you guys and your help. Both of us are light, so not concerned about weight.

What do you think of this for $2800? Owner says it was safetied last year, and needs nothing to get it safetied. New tires put on last season.

Appreciate all you guys and your help. Both of us are light, so not concerned about weight.

What do you think of this for $2800? Owner says it was safetied last year, and needs nothing to get it safetied. New tires put on last season.
I know its a honda, and a goldwing, but damn, not sure how I would feel about buying a bike older than me :oops:

I'd be all over that! I had an 86.
Ignore the whiners that are either scared or can't see the value in an older bike.
The Squeeze will love you for it.

I maybe biased here, but a Honda ST1100 is a great touring bike and very reliable. Look for one after 1996 as the alternator was upgraded to 40 amps. There are a few on Kijiji for under $3,000. Heavy bike, but balances right out as you get going.

I maybe biased here, but a Honda ST1100 is a great touring bike and very reliable. Look for one after 1996 as the alternator was upgraded to 40 amps. There are a few on Kijiji for under $3,000. Heavy bike, but balances right out as you get going.
Agreed. I've seen the next gen 1300's priced as low as $3500. Some have almost 100,000km but it's a Honda and I expect it will go reliably for many more km beyond that.

Further to the ST1300 suggestion, here's one with tons of extras, 91,000km @ $3500.

Honestly, I know plenty of people prefer the FJR1300 but I've never seen anyone with a frowny face riding one of these.

I didn't think the OEM seat was that wide as it pushes you forward. I tried a Russel Day Long on it and that was too wide that caused only 1 foot to touch down.
Wasn't the seat. It was the tank that forced my knees too far apart. For what ever reason just about every BMW I sit is the same - forces my knees too wide.

Back
Top Bottom