Helmet dropped from waist height | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet dropped from waist height

As a follow up, I contacted ICON about it (that was the helmet I was wearing at the time)

"Thank you for your inquiry. While I cannot guarantee the helmet is safe without actually doing an x-ray, it shouldn't have been damaged by a fall from such a short height. As long as there was no weight in the helmet when it hit then the eps liner should not have been compressed. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Icon Motosports"

That is the response from them. So it seems that if its dropped with nothing in it, the EPS shouldn't actually deform.

I have however upgraded to a SHOEI RF-1100 but that was a planned purchase. So now I feel like I can confidently use my ICON as a guest helmet without feeling concerned.

But do stop playing basketball with your helmet.

All that being said, material or price does not always correspond to protection level. A few years ago, many Arai helmets were failing the Snell tests based on unacceptable performance (the helmets were supposed to be snell rated, but they were transmitting way to much force into the dummy head). I haven't looked at the tables in a few years, but I was disgusted that some $1000 helmets were failing and some $200 helmets were passing.

Have a look at the Snell 2005 standard. It's useless -- they had to change it to the modern Snell standard because it was being proven that to pass the test, the helmets would end up transferring far too much energy into the head. The effect was much more pronounced on smaller helmets - Snell used the same weight of ball in all helmets, which skewed the results. I've been on the verge of picking up several different helmets only to reject them after seeing the Snell 2005 certification.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

three quarters of the way down. Talks about the fact Snell doesn't change test head weight regardless of helmet size.... very long article all in all, but also very informative.

Back
Top Bottom