Helmet dropped from waist height | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet dropped from waist height

sunnyCBR

Hey guys,

So I remember hearing something at the course I took about replacing a helmet if you drop it... Wanted to verify that with people as I had a moment of butterfingers this evening and while holding it at waist height let it slip and contact pavement.

Thoughts?

if there was nothing in it, your fine

Agree, it even says this on some manufacturers websites. The padding is designed to cushion your head and slow it down on impact. Once this padding is compacted, its done. Its like popping those bubble wrap bubbles, if nothing was inside to hurt the padding its fine. Now obviously if the shell on the outside was cracked that's different...but you'll be fine.

+1
ya the shell is not what you have to worry about, it's the foam inside. It absorbs some of the inertia of what ever is in it. If there is nothing in it than it would have to be dropped from a substantial hight to damage it.

We all know that in an accident there are three collisions:
First, your helmet strikes the curb or other hard object.
Second, your head strikes the inside of your helmet.
Third, your brain strikes the inside of your head.
A helmet attempts to reduce the G-load experienced in the third collision.
Its expended polystyrene liner (similar to old-style white foam coffee cups) does this by deforming during the second collision.
It does not spring back, and will remain forever compressed.
But dropping an empty helmet, providing the hard exterior is not cracked/broken, will not damage its effectiveness in any way.
The hard exterior is required in the first collision, to spread the tiny point of impact over the larger surface of your lid.
Many people are replacing helmets with paint scratch, but wearing helmets with compressed interiors!
It's an 'out of sight - out of mind' situation (that's human nature), but it is unfortunate...
Hope this helps understanding,
Regards

Sup to you.
Schools will teach you that it's designed to take an impact. I'd say hitting the ground qualifies.

If you're looking for opinions on if you should keep using it to feel better about your decision, that would change if the helmet is still 'safe'? Can the foam crack? Sure, that's what it's designed to do. Can it crack improperly? Sure, so you have a weak point potentially in the helmet. Can it drop and be fine? I'd like to think so.

That's theory for you.

Real world, if someone here would be held liable (putting a guarantee on it) for making the call if it would still keep your noggin safe in a crash, i don't think anyone'd put their stamp on it. (manufacturers wouldn't, but that is probably also driven on a 'buy a new helmet from us' angle)

But on the internet, majority will tell you it's fine, cuz everyone's a professional and there's no need for accountability...even when giving advice.

It's your call really, regardless of the opinions in this thread.

Last edited:
It's your head, do what you want. If you have doubts, get another one. You need to ride with confidence.

Is it neccessary? Only you can decide.

Interesing vid, definitely....

Is it fibreglass or plastic? I have seen fibreglass helmets crack from small falls (a cracked shell won't distribute force to the foam properly). Plastic helmets (in my experience) just get a small mark and are fine. As others have said, the foam is fine, just carefully inspect the shell. A cracked shell is garbage.

Is it fibreglass or plastic? I have seen fibreglass helmets crack from small falls (a cracked shell won't distribute force to the foam properly). Plastic helmets (in my experience) just get a small mark and are fine. As others have said, the foam is fine, just carefully inspect the shell. A cracked shell is garbage.

So fiberglas helmets are worse for multiple impact accidents? I thought that they were more expensive than plastic.

Thanks a lot for all the input, and the video too. Its one of those things that being new to riding that you don't think about too much. I'm used to helmets that are designed for multiple impacts (like a football one) so you wouldn't normally think twice but I know that motorcycle helmets are designed differently.
Appreciate all the thoughts, and advice! The video is very helpful as I'm thinking of upgrading from my current ICON to an ARAI or an SHOEI. So hearing them say that its a reactionary protective piece and dropping it with NOTHING inside typically only causes cosmetic damage is reassuring. Baggsy - great video. Thanks!

You know those gates at some parking lots? While I had the same one come down on my helmet (head in it) twice in 3 months. Both times I went to the building manager with an estimate for a new helmet and got paid off twice. Next time I went to use the lot there was a big 'No Motorcycles Allowed' sign at the entrance. I still use the original helmet.

i experienced this first hand. i had an EPS foam mountain bike helmet. fell once, the back of the helmet hit. didn't really feel any pain. a few weeks later, fell again on the same spot with the same helmet, and i got knocked out for a few seconds.

You know those gates at some parking lots? While I had the same one come down on my helmet (head in it) twice in 3 months. Both times I went to the building manager with an estimate for a new helmet and got paid off twice. Next time I went to use the lot there was a big 'No Motorcycles Allowed' sign at the entrance. I still use the original helmet.

lol sorry to laugh but how does one not only let this happen once...but twice???

You being on a bike should've cleared that gate....

So fiberglas helmets are worse for multiple impact accidents? I thought that they were more expensive than plastic.

Fibreglass are typically more expensive. They are also typically lighter and are more likely to be an interesting shape. Their could be an argument that the fibreglass by shattering also helps to protect your brain (although I haven't seen anything that proves or disproves this).

Some fibreglass helmets may stand up to multiple drops (no helmet is good for more than one hit with a head in it), I have seen 3 fibreglass helmets thrown out due to a short fall, but haven't seen a plastic one fail due to a fall. This is obviously my personal experience, not an exhaustive study, other people may have had different experiences.

All that being said, material or price does not always correspond to protection level. A few years ago, many Arai helmets were failing the Snell tests based on unacceptable performance (the helmets were supposed to be snell rated, but they were transmitting way to much force into the dummy head). I haven't looked at the tables in a few years, but I was disgusted that some $1000 helmets were failing and some $200 helmets were passing.

Life is full off risk accessment, riding is a risk and helemts are a apart of minimizing that risk. Choosing how much risk you can live with comes with a price tag.
I wouldn't replace it, but you have to make your own call.

Back
Top Bottom