Heat stroke. Information. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heat stroke. Information.

I've only had issues with heat while riding in +35C conditions other than some temporary discomfort in urban congestion. Fortunately, those are rare in Ontario.

If you're moving and have well-ventilated gear, you should be able to ride in heat up to 35C as long as you keep yourself hydrated. When I lived near the desert, days above 35 were troublesome, above 35 the air no longer cools the body -- unless you're naked -- even then it stops cooling at 37C. I used to keep a squirt bottle to occasionally mist down if I felt too hot - I also learned why Slurpees came in Bug Gulp sizes. I can only remember one instance of feeling I had to take action concerning heat while riding in Ontario.

Above 28C, just uncomfortable.

My advice from years of hot weather riding:

AGATT is still your best bet, but comfort is a critical factor in rider safety -- there is a tradeoff between comfort and protection.

• Pick a helmet with excellent ventilation. Your head releases a lot of heat.
  • Ride visor up or off with good glasses for eye protection. Airflow and head cooling increase dramatically without a visor.
  • If you're AGATT, invest in a good mesh jacket and pants. Better brands offer well-ventilated summer jackets, mileage varies on Chinesium from the jungle store.
  • Wear summer gloves. Heavy gauntlets, insulated and Goretex gloves don't breathe well - hands also release a lot of heat.
  • Keep hydrated. If feel thirsty - stop and drink something. If you hit coffee shops - it may sound counter-intuitive but a hot beverage will reduce core temps better than a cold one.

Old age and kidney stones

Due to a late start I’m spending the night in hospital after having a 9 mm kidney stone lasered out of a nasty spot

I remember the happy gas man say take five deep breaths. I didn’t make the full count and then I woke up in a different room with sore throat from being tubed. Very thankful it wasn’t the good old days.

More to come down the road a bit. By the time I get discharged it’ll be about 40 hours without a solid meal. I’ll probably have wet dreams about bacon and eggs.

Old age and kidney stones

Due to a late start I’m spending the night in hospital after having a 9 mm kidney stone lasered out of a nasty spot

I remember the happy gas man say take five deep breaths. I didn’t make the full count and then I woke up in a different room with sore throat from being tubed. Very thankful it wasn’t the good old days.

More to come down the road a bit. By the time I get discharged it’ll be about 40 hours without a solid meal. I’ll probably have wet dreams about bacon and eggs.
Ouch. Never had one but saw my dad suffer a few times. Glad there is a “new way”, the old way of waiting to piss gravel thru a catheter didn’t look fun.

Hope you recover quickly.

My penis just sent me an email. “What the heck was that? Up til now it’s always been fun”
He’s used to friction on the outside.

Not as much fun losing virginity on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom