Getting custom ear plugs made | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting custom ear plugs made

If the (passive) noise attenuation afforded by the Etymotics was anywhere near what they claim, wouldn't they work well as hearing protection even if the cords were broken or cut off?
Yes they should! I have no idea what the claim was on these IEM's however.

If the (passive) noise attenuation afforded by the Etymotics was anywhere near what they claim, wouldn't they work well as hearing protection even if the cords were broken or cut off?

I will DEFINITELY need to have some sort of tether on any ear plugs that I buy over $20-30. I've lost so many singletons from the moto-specific pairs I've bought over the years, which didn't bother me so much because by then I determined that they weren't doing enough for me.

Incidentally, that's one of the reasons I haven't bought something like AirPods for off-bike use. I just know I'm going to lose those damn things within a week or two.
For generic wireless iem type use I bought a crap ton of different models. Most don't play well with multiple devices so multiple phones makes connection simpler. As expected, some sound marginal at best (skull candy, mpow, iqpod, etc). I have a few beats (powerbeats, fit, studio), all meh. Galaxy buds, meh. Anker soundcore liberty air 2 fine for video, not great for music. Isotunes pro used for cutting the lawn pretty awful (brain on wire between buds so it would be accesible under a helmet). Befunko n1, bleh. Sony wf1000 best of the wireless ones I have tried. Still not magically good but better than the rest. The huge downside to Sony is if you lose one, the second is garbage as there is no way to pair without both buds.

For wired I have se530 (nothing special, cables beginning to break down), se430 (worse than 530 but much cheaper), kz-as10 pro and kz-as16 pro (worse than shures).

Probably missing a few and I've given a lot away.

Incidentally, that's one of the reasons I haven't bought something like AirPods for off-bike use. I just know I'm going to lose those damn things within a week or two.

Here is my best solution for in-helmet audio - BlueTooth Sure215 with those Rubber Covers = best noise isolation with flat in-ear fit. 6hrs run time. I know lots of ppl here love their Sure as well :)

IMG_0697.jpeg

you can ping the earphones so they make noise as long as they have battery left, can also locate the case via GPS.
my kids both have AirPods. Even pinging them in the house can be an exercise in frustration - in our experience they are pretty quiet and consequently you need to be pretty close to use the sound to find them, at least in our 3 story Victorian. “Everybody be quiet” would be the refrain when a bud or case was lost.

By contrast some Bose SoundSports I had would make a sound loud enough to be easily located if you were anywhere within two floors of it. They wouldn’t fit well in a helmet.

I have a set from the place that Wingboy suggested and they worked really well. But as we get older the shape of our ear canals change apparently, and in my case has made them EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

I found these at GP Bikes and they are excellent. I wore them faithfully on my recently completed trip around NFLD and home and found them comfortable, even on long days up to 7 hrs.

I used them with my pactalk helmet set so I could listen to entertainment.

I bought these this past summer as well. I used foamies for years and never had an issue, but I wanted something that was quick and easy to put in. These fit the bill very well. My only disappoint was my expectation that I'd be able to hear voices better, but they sound absolutely no different to me than the foamies.

I bought these this past summer as well. I used foamies for years and never had an issue, but I wanted something that was quick and easy to put in. These fit the bill very well. My only disappoint was my expectation that I'd be able to hear voices better, but they sound absolutely no different to me than the foamies.
I have been able to hear most voices pretty clearly with them in, but there are definitely some voices that don't make it through.

Of course there's also the bonus of being able to avoid unwanted conversation with, "Sorry, I've got earplugs in."

I tried the Alpines and found they didn't attenuate wind noise nearly as much as I had hoped. At higher speed I could tell I would have ringing in my ears when I got home, so I used them only once or twice. I would have kept them for concert going, but one or two uses is about how many it takes for me to lose them.

I have a custom fitted pair from ProtectEar called dbBlocker that are still comfortable after eleven years. I can wear them for 16 hours straight.

There's a tiny pinhole that allows sounds in the frequency ranges of most human voices, so it blocks it a lot of wind/engine drone despite how much you can still hear.

They said I could insert earphones into it, but I haven't found any that fit. My in-helmet speakers (Sena SMH5) work really well with them for music and calls. I can hear traffic, horns, audible crossing walks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
They use Sennheiser earbuds, it's a different model versus just the ear plugs. Both are excellent

Saw Peter on Friday. Very nice guy. Plugs definitely reduce the futzing around for me trying to get foam plugs inserted into my ears (especially my left one). Unfortunately didn't get time to ride my road bike so couldn't see how well they work in practice. Voice did seem more audible than they do with my foams so not sure how well that bodes.

Did spend the weekend dirt biking with my kids and realized I underestimated the noise of those bikes (in this case, mostly engine noise vs wind noise on my road bike) ... I think I'll get some made for them.

Wait for the show in Jan.Nu-Life Hearing center. 1 877 764 3171
I have a pair from these guys that's five years old. Love em. I even wear them inside my truck on days like today where I did 6 hours of driving to help keep fatigue from wind/white noise down. They're great.

Back
Top Bottom